Quantcast Ready to Buy, Need Opinions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ready to Buy, Need Opinions

Background: We are GF fans who would love GFV to be our home resort. We won't be financing. GFV doesn't seem to be the most cost effective decision when buying points and we won't be disappointed if we buy at BLT or AKL and end up staying there now and then. We plan to use our points to stay at Disney resorts, mostly at WDW.

Questions:

Buying Direct vs Buying Resale. It seems like getting more points for the money in buying a resale makes more sense, even if we change our home resort to one with a better per point value than GFV. What is the main benefit to buying direct from Disney? Will we be missing out on much if we go with a resale?

Has anyone had much trouble booking GFV at the 7 month mark for March, April or October (the months we travel most)?

Use year: Is it important to buy resales in the same use year? If we combine resale offers from the same resort to get the amount of points we need, does it all combine into one account for reservations/banking/borrowing, or is it like dealing with two or three separate accounts? Am I making sense? Like, if we buy two resales for AKL at 200 points each, does it work like having 400 points? Or do I have to treat them as separate reservations?

Thanks for any guidance, DVC friends.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're buying multiple contracts through resale, keeping the same use year is a big plus. With one use year all your points will be in one account, much easier to manage. With difference use years you will have different accounts. You are allowed one transfer per year, either in or out so moving points becomes more difficult.

Availability at the 7 month for VGF depends on the size and length of accommodations you are looking for, also how flexible you are with your dates. We've not been able to stay there yet but this may be easier once the Poly villas open.

If you're only looking to use your points for Disney then resale isn't a bad option. If you looking to pickup VGF on the resale market there some available.

I'm of the school of thought that sides with buy where you want to stay. Our first two contracts were through Disney because we wanted VWL and nothing was available resale.

Good luck in your decision.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you with your second and third questions, but let me try with the first.

If you buy through Disney, you get the most flexibility in using those points outside the Vacation Club hotels. You can use them for Disney cruises, Adventures by Disney vacations, Disney hotels that are not DVC (called the Concierge Collection), and for exchanging for outside timeshares RCI, Club Intrawest and Club Cordial. There is general agreement that using your points this way isn't the most economical, but we've used them for exchanges because we like the flexibility.

If you buy resale, you cannot use the points for the non-DVC Disney hotels, cruises or Adventures by Disney. You can, however still use the points to trade with the outside timeshares (RCI, etc.).

Another thing to consider is the number of years left on the contracts for each resort. GFV expires in 2064. BLT contracts expire in 2060, AKL in 2057, etc. There are lots of resales for the latter two; right now if you wanted GFV you almost must buy through Disney. (Very little on the resale market right now for GFV, but that will change with time).

Good luck with your decision!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

As many have said here, buy where you want to stay. The Grand Floridian Villas are not a huge property so availability is limited and this location is quite popular. I thought I might not have too hard a time booking just 1-2 nights there in October but had to wait list as nothing - regardless of view was available at the 7 month mark for a studio for 2 nights.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

If you have your heart set on staying at GF and plan to go during summer or Christmas, then you should buy at GF. Resales are cheaper and if you don't plan to use your points for anything besides Disney resorts then that would be the way to go.

If you want the most bang for your buck as others have said you need to be more flexible. Using myself as an example. I bought VB at $43 a point. I am retired and can go off season and be flexible about my dates. Also I am not picky about the resort. For example on my next trip the family would like to stay at BWV but are willing to settle for OKW if we can't get what we want and there is always the option of wait listing. But that is just me I have time to play around with this.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!!

I am of the buy where you want to stay camp. We have never had an issue staying at our home resort in the kind of room that we want to. If you want to stay at the Grand Floridian, I think you should buy at the Grand Floridian.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, buy where you want to stay. We've bought direct and resale. My opinion, resale is the way to go. I have seen a few VGF on the market at the Timeshare Store. I recommend you contact the Timeshare store, let them know what you're interested in. We've on their email list and get updates all the time.
    We own at BLT and absolutely love it there, you won't go wrong if you decide to purchase there.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Sherri !

As I have mentioned to you before, I am not in the "buy where you want to stay" camp. I feel that only works if you plan to book using the 11 month mark, which I don't do. It is hard enough to book at 7 months, as my or my sister's work schedule can change. I bought DVC to have the roomier accommodations. Once my Mom started to travel with my sister and I, having more room for her to maneuver her wheelchair was even more important, so we book 2 bedroom villas.

I also think it does matter what size of accommodations you want plays a role in your success at the 7 month window. Even when it is only 2 of us, we book a 1 bedroom so we each have our own space. I think if I wanted studio accommodations, it would be more difficult. But I like multiple resorts, so my heart is not set on 1 place. We did get GFV at the 7 month mark and will be there in less than 2 weeks !

I also bought via resale. As I said, my heart wasn't set on one location, so I looked at resale with price and maintenance dues per point being the deciding factors. I have 2 contracts, but the same use year; one at SSR and the other at OKW. The second contract was added when Mom started to travel with us and we wanted larger accommodations (so Mom could have her own room and bathroom).
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

It's a lot to consider. My husband isn't entirely on board yet, so I'm gathering my thoughts to present to him and win him over. Your opinions are really helping me so thanks all!

He knows I want to do this, and he's willing to consider it now. His issue is that he wants to travel to other places and doesn't want to spend all of our time at WDW. My main argument in favor of it is that we do end up going to Disney every year or every other year, which will work well with banking and borrowing and still allow us to go other places between Disney visits-- not to mention Vero Beach, Aulani... there are other locations besides WDW.

We're at the point where we really need the larger accommodations of DVC. The kids are adults. They don't always come with us, but we need space when and if they do, and if they bring partners. I'm happy to stay at other resorts, but husband is more inclined to be all GF all the time. So it's either buying fewer VGF points for now and eventually adding on or resale with maybe a different resort, where I can get more points for less but might not always get to stay VGF. Decisions, decisions. A happy spot to be in, though. It's fun to think of the possibilities. Thanks again for helping me think it all over!
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Home! You will love it. Our home Is VWL and we have enjoyed staying there; as well as, all the other DVC resorts.

Have fun planning.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

My only 2 thoughts on this are;
    1) I wish we had purchased earlier.
    2) If you buy multiple contracts be sure they all have the same use year month.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

We just became members one month ago and we chose the Villas at the GF as our home resort. It is truly our favorite place to stay and we would be devastated if we had to book at 7 months and were unable to get into it. Despite the price being higher, to us it was worth it simply for the ability to ensure ourselves getting in there at 11 months. It is a personal decision and you have to consider so many factors that have already been mentioned. I think if we didn't choose the GF as our home, we would have always 2nd guessed that decision.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, even booking at 11 months doesn't guarantee you get what you want/need. It helps... A LOT... but isn't a guarantee. That's why I suggest making sure that you plan accordingly. Getting a few more points than you actually need will help for those times that you may have to travel at a different time or get better accomodations. Just a few points, when you can bank and borrow can open up a whole range of possibilities.

However, GFV is one expensive location, so you may be able to 'downgrade' to a different location for significantly less points. It's just something to keep in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

We're in the process of buying resale. Our intent is to use it at Disney properties so we aren't too concerned about the non-Disney offerings. I don't know the details, but in talking to friends I've heard you are better off paying cash for Disney cruises because the point structure isn't favorable?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    I don't know the details, but in talking to friends I've heard you are better off paying cash for Disney cruises because the point structure isn't favorable?
    Yes, I've looked at the Disney Collections and Adventures by Disney, and I can't even imagine I would use points for those. If I opted to cruise, I wouldn't even choose a Disney cruise. So those options are not important to me, I think.

You all have come up with some great points that are really helping me weigh all options. I'm so grateful to have your insights. Thanks again!
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I also bought via resale. As I said, my heart wasn't set on one location, so I looked at resale with price and maintenance dues per point being the deciding factors. I have 2 contracts, but the same use year; one at SSR and the other at OKW. The second contract was added when Mom started to travel with us and we wanted larger accommodations (so Mom could have her own room and bathroom).
    How does it work when you have points at different places? When you reserve, provided it's at 7 and not 11 months, is it just like having points at the same place? All points just combine and it doesn't matter that they are from two different home resorts?
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    How does it work when you have points at different places? When you reserve, provided it's at 7 and not 11 months, is it just like having points at the same place? All points just combine and it doesn't matter that they are from two different home resorts?
    If you have two different contract numbers, then you have two different contracts and points will not combine. So if you have 100 in one and 50 in another, and a room costs say 30 points a night, you can really only get 4 nights (90 from the 100 and 30 from the 50) without going through the transfer points process. And you can only do that once per year (in or out of a contract) so that will "kill" both contracts when you transfer points. If you have three contracts, you can't transfer two into one.

If you go through Disney, it all goes under one contract (provided they can match up use years). I'm not sure if that work the same resale even if use years match.

If you own at two resorts, the points ARE different regardless in terms of the booking window. Using the above numbers, if you have 100 at AKLV and 50 at GFV. You can book 100 points at AKLV at 11 months out and would need to wait until 7 months out to book the other 50 from GFV. Many people just book at the 11 month window to get something and then try to adjust once 7 months hits. Or you can take your chances at 7 months using them all at any resort.

So, it does get a little confusing and requires more planning when you own at multiple resorts. Even more difficult when use years don't match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Yes, as long as they are the same use year, they will all show under one membership.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    If you have two different contract numbers, then you have two different contracts and points will not combine. So if you have 100 in one and 50 in another, and a room costs say 30 points a night, you can really only get 4 nights (90 from the 100 and 30 from the 50) without going through the transfer points process. And you can only do that once per year (in or out of a contract) so that will "kill" both contracts when you transfer points. If you have three contracts, you can't transfer two into one.

If you go through Disney, it all goes under one contract (provided they can match up use years). I'm not sure if that work the same resale even if use years match.
    I bought both of my contracts through resale. Sherri, you would have 2 separate contracts, but they would be under the same DVC membership number provided that:
    1. the use years match
    2. the names on the contracts are the same

In my case, my use years match but my sister and my mother are not on the deed of the first contract as I bought that contract alone. I just transfer my points each year so they are all together for use at 7 months. It was cheaper than adding their names to my contract.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the information! We made an offer this morning for a BLT resale. Waiting to hear back. I'm so excited!

I made my presentation to my husband last night, and he was surprisingly agreeable. We crunched numbers and decided a resale was our best bet to get the points we want at a reasonable cost (including dues through the years). So now just the waiting.
    Sherri

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: