Quantcast DA/Gringotts Review (long)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default DA/Gringotts Review (long)

Just got back from a WDW trip where we did a day at UO. Hadn't been to UO since 2011 (and even then only did IOA) so had done Hogsmede but had not done DA or a few other new things at Studios (Transformers, Rockit, etc.) Figured I'd post some thoughts while it was all still fresh on my mind.

Diagon Alley - First things first, as most everything/everyone has said, DA is amazing. The level of detail alone is incredible. There is not a single spot in the area that doesn't provide a dozen things to look at. Every window, store front (real or fake), etc. is alive with movement, sound, color. We spent a lot of time there just wandering around looking at things. Also, the immersiveness of the area is impressive. At no point (that I noticed) in the area could you see anything outside of it (like the RRR coaster or a hotel or anything) so there is nothing to break the theming. Even though this isn't Disney, Walt would have been impressed because he always strived so hard to achieve that same goal.

The only knock on DA was the crowding. I mean we were there on a crowd level 4 day and you could barely move through the area. The area is designed to be intimate and realistically proportioned, and it is, but it makes crowding a problem. TIP - If you want a spot to get away from the crowds, don't miss Knockturn Alley. It is sort of hidden, but is 1) a must see anyways for theming/visuals, 2) a great, dark spot to beat the heat/crowds.

Escape from Gringotts - Must say, we were a bit underwhelmed by GG. The inside portion of the queue is incredible. We waited 50 mins, half of that in the boring outside switchback section. Once you get inside though, it no longer feels like a queue. Very well done. The elevator itself was a bit of an attraction.

SPOILERS - As for the ride, I just kind of feel like UO is starting to suffer from "too much of a good thing" with the "simulator in front of 3D projection screens" idea. I know GG is somewhat different, but not that much. Both my wife and I agreed, the most exciting part of the ride was the drop at the beginning. They should have saved that for the end as a finale as after that the rest is sort of anticlimactic. The spinning was fun too, and took us by surprise. Beyond that, I felt it needed more practical, physical effects/set pieces. The 3D was OK, but we were in the back row and I felt that REALLY diminished the effect of the 3D. The ending was meh. The disappearing screen effect doesn't really work IMO as you can clearly see the edges before it goes away, and the smoke didn't fill in in time to cover it getting removed. The ending just seemed kind of abrupt. The story was better than FJ, and seeing Voldemort and Bellatrix is cool, but I felt the story was a bit rushed.

It may sound like I'm being overly critical. It was a great ride and better than 99% of theme park rides I've ever been on. Still, I felt like there was potential there for a bit more. Esp when doing both parks in 1 day you really get burnt out on the projection screen 3D rides.

Hogwarts Express - Such a fun, well done attraction. The detail on the inside and out of the train is amazing. The window effect is OK though really the shadow effect on the door is far more interesting and well done IMO. Definitely do both sides, though I will say from DA to HM is the better of the two. For one, Kings Crossing Station is so well done. Just incredible. And getting to go into Platform 9 3/4 is fun. Plus the (SPOILER) dementor effect during the ride from DA to HM is neat.

Miscellaneous - The shops are all attractions unto themselves, just as they are in HM. The Leaky Cauldron was OK, but felt they could've done more with it from a theme standpoint. Didn't really watch any of the shows so can't comment on them.

Final Thoughts - When I saw Hogsmede for the first time I was blown away, but DA takes it all to an even higher level. I actually feel like at this point UO should have considered an entire HP theme park rather than themed lands. I think the HP brand/story could have supported it and it would have given them more room to work with, helping with the crowding issue, which is the only bad thing about DA (and HM). I'm a lifelong, huge, Disney fan and ex CM and can say UO has set the bar pretty high with DA.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the report!

It looks like it would be amazing.

Some day....
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Great report. I will be there on Friday! I'm very excited.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you on every point! We were there in August in the hot hot hot. The theming in Diagon Alley is the very best I have seen anywhere ever. Where Universal falls short is in the simulator/screen rides . There can be too much of the same thing.

Thanks for such a well written review!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

We will be there in 29 days can't wait to see it for ourselves!

Thanks for the review!

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I agree with you on every point! We were there in August in the hot hot hot. The theming in Diagon Alley is the very best I have seen anywhere ever. Where Universal falls short is in the simulator/screen rides . There can be too much of the same thing.

Thanks for such a well written review!
    UO definitely has too much of a good thing with those types of rides. Like I said, we eps noticed this as we were doing both parks in one day. Add in the Simpsons ride, which isn't in 3D but is still movement in front of a giant screen, and that makes 4 rides between the two parks like that. Mummy is actually a refreshing change because it uses so many practical effects. FJ has a few of those screens, but much more physical effects.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)

Post Thanks / Like

We don't mind those types of attractions and I personally think that they do a good job of putting "real" elements in 3 of the 4 (Simpson ride not included) attractions you are talking about. But I do know some people don't like them, just like some people don't like rollercoasters.

I think they may use the screen in the HP attractions so much because they want to project the real actors in the movies to your ride experience.

BTW the Mummy is my favorite ride in all of Orlando. It was Rockin Rollercoaster until the Mummy was built. The theming is so good. I actual feeling like I am in the movie when entering the first room.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

NJGIRL - Oh don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy them. Spiderman is still one of my all time favs. This was my first time doing Transformers but I actually liked it better than Spiderman.

For GG, I thought the physical set pieces that they did use were very well done. At one or two points I noticed layers of track above our heads, for example. I just felt that, where FJ does such a fantastic job of seamlessly moving you from real, immersive, detailed set pieces to projection screens, on GG the transitions seemed more abrupt. I didn't have an issue with the usage of the screens themselves, as you need that to include the HP characters (an animatronic Bellatrix just wouldn't have the same impact haha), but just felt that it could have benefited from more immersive physical effects and sets in addition to to the screens. Still a great ride!
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)

Post Thanks / Like

I love the attractions at UOR, but totally agree that too much of one thing can be bad. For those prone to motion sickness, you could potentially be 'done' by lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws View Post
    NJGIRL - Oh don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy them. Spiderman is still one of my all time favs. This was my first time doing Transformers but I actually liked it better than Spiderman.

For GG, I thought the physical set pieces that they did use were very well done. At one or two points I noticed layers of track above our heads, for example. I just felt that, where FJ does such a fantastic job of seamlessly moving you from real, immersive, detailed set pieces to projection screens, on GG the transitions seemed more abrupt. I didn't have an issue with the usage of the screens themselves, as you need that to include the HP characters (an animatronic Bellatrix just wouldn't have the same impact haha), but just felt that it could have benefited from more immersive physical effects and sets in addition to to the screens. Still a great ride!
    Yes, I totally understood you enjoyed the GG attraction, I was just coming up with a possible reason for using the screens in so many attractions. I haven't been on GG yet so I can't comment on that attraction, but may feel the same way you do after riding it.

And I do understand some people get motion sickness after going on too many because my husband can only do a couple a day before he starts to get light headed. I end up doing a lot of attractions by myself.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I was there early June so missed the opening...I love SPiderman...Transformers seemed like a ripoff of it it some ways...I do have an AP so ill have to try to get back to see all of the new HP things
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM