Quantcast Dishing on Downton- Downton Abbey Season 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dishing on Downton- Downton Abbey Season 5

Okay Downton Abbey fans, it's back.

Whose watching? Are you enjoying Season 5? What do you think of the story line so far?

I'm liking that they have given the Dowager a story line that is is her own as opposed to just being a part of the other stories. I'm finding the Mary story line to be pretty predictable. I'm not sure about Tom's plot. I find the teacher to be rather annoying. And I'm over tragedy for Anna, Bates , and Edith. Seriously let the poor characters have a day of happiness.

So what's everyone else thinking?
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree-- I really wish they would change the tragedy focus off Anna, Bates, and Edith. Let them have the good year for a change. Let's see Mary suffer some consequences finally. I'm waiting for her to find out about Marigold and judge Edith harshly when she has done the same thing. I would rather they bonded over their boldness, but I can't see it happening. Mary is so above it all.

I do love Violet and Isobel, and Violet's Russian story. I'm still not sure why we're suddenly supposed to accept Rose doing volunteer work, though? Did I miss something there maybe? It seems out of character. I feel like they really haven't decided who they want Rose to be.

I don't like the teacher much either, and I think Tom made the decision to be part of the Downton Abbey life to raise Sybil's daughter and he should be a man and stick to that and see what it means. He didn't go into that life blindly, so he should be able to see why his friend is out of line in his house. Even if he still has a rebellious streak. I do like Cora having something to do, finally, and Robert was completely unfair to her. I like it when he has to be more self aware. And I like poor Moseley struggling along. And Barrow having more to do than just be mean to everyone seems promising, too. Overall, I feel like it could be a good season but it's still too soon to tell.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with both of you on the tragedy fatigue with certain characters. I hope Edie gets to find her guy, there better be a resolution with that! The scenes between the Dowager and Isobel are better than ever, I love Violet's meddling in Isobel's love life, she is so sharp.

While I've never been Lady Mary's biggest fan, I like that they're using her storyline to explore women's reproductive health issues and upper class social norms when it comes to love and marriage and decision-making. I find Lord Gillingham more boring than toast so I hope she doesn't choose him, but I'm liking the more modern and forward-thinking Mary than the stuck-in-1895-stubborn-snotty Mary. She's still plenty snotty, but it doesn't annoy me as much now.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I'm still not sure why we're suddenly supposed to accept Rose doing volunteer work, though? Did I miss something there maybe? It seems out of character. I feel like they really haven't decided who they want Rose to be.

I don't like the teacher much either, and I think Tom made the decision to be part of the Downton Abbey life to raise Sybil's daughter and he should be a man and stick to that and see what it means. He didn't go into that life blindly, so he should be able to see why his friend is out of line in his house. Even if he still has a rebellious streak.
    I'm glad to see that someone else was baffled by Rose's new outlook on life. I was thinking that I must have missed an episode last year, as unlikely as that would have been.

I keep hoping that they find an "Abbey acceptable" woman for Tom as I feel he should stick by his decision. Maybe a Rose type but with a brain. Hold on maybe that's where they are going with the new and improved Rose!
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I too love the dynamics of Violet and Isobel's relationship. It was so funny when Robert said Violet would be happy for Isobel should she become a Lady (or whatever the title was). Cora looked at him like he had two heads.

I've never cared for Rose. In fact, when I found out that actress is playing Cinderella, I lost a little heart. I found her more interesting last year, but I think things could have progressed nicely without her.

I still don't understand why Mary and Gillingham rendezvoused. Did she honestly not pick up on their incompatibility the year or so he courted her? It's like, "I have to sleep with him to see if we're compatible." Fast forward one week, "Well that wasn't so great. I realize now he's simply boring..." Sometimes I like Mary and sometimes her superiority makes me want to smack her. BTW, was that a diaphragm that Anna purchased for her?

I DO NOT care for Ms. Bunting at all. I realize Tom is drawn to a woman that isn't afraid to speak her mind and has strong opinions, but this chick is out of line. Seriously, who dines with someone in their own home and attacks their opinions in front of complete strangers? She has no couth.

Anna and Bates...

I didn't care for Edith initially, but she's won me over. I really just want her to confess so she can have her baby. I don't know why her tragedies stab my heart more than all the others, but I want her to find some happiness and love.

BTW, I like Cora's new lady's maid. And I just love Molesley. I hope those two can make a go of it.

Do you think Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes will come together? He seems bothered whenever she's cross with him.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, please--let Edith have some happiness! I always thought her more practical and less spoiled than Mary. Maybe something will happen to Marigold's adoptive mother, so that Marigold can be reunited with Edith?

I thought Mary sending Anna to the store for the necessary "item" was strange and I am wondering if there is going to be some backlash down the road against Anna for it. That whole situation with Mary and Lord Gillingham just doesn't ring true for era it's in, IMO.

Loving Violet and Isobel's interactions this year; some of my favorite scenes!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Was it just because I was tired last night, or did anyone else find Sunday's episode a little, er, underwhelming? I didn't find anything really held my attention, even when Robert blew up at the dinner table at Miss Bunting (and it is really time for her to GO) it felt like "eh, been there done that." I just wasn't feeling it the whole time.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was a little dull last night but I was distracted by the SAG awards on at the same time, which I was following on Twitter. Robert is really being a jerk to Cora lately, but he was spot on about Miss Bunting. She's entitled to her opinions, but that is no way to behave as a guest. Of course, Robert should have contained himself a bit. But I think we've all had it with that character, and I don't want her to take Tom away from the family.

More Poor Edith moments, but I feel like we're still in the same place with her as we were last week. They didn't really move her story along any. The bright point was Isobel's proposal. She doesn't really seem to love her suitor back, but it was sweet that he loves her. And she can't listen to Violet. Otherwise, it was a fairly stagnant episode.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, some action this week! Mr. Bricker is a moron, BUT I am so mad about this double standard. Robert can make out with a maid a couple seasons ago and continue to ignore his wife (Bricker did have a point there) but then he gets into a cat fight and is totally freezing Cora out??? I get that it's historical but come on.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Finally, some action this week! Mr. Bricker is a moron, BUT I am so mad about this double standard. Robert can make out with a maid a couple seasons ago and continue to ignore his wife (Bricker did have a point there) but then he gets into a cat fight and is totally freezing Cora out??? I get that it's historical but come on.
    To walk into your bed chamber, especially for those of that station, and to find another man in his night robes, standing next to your wife, in that era there really is only one conclusion to draw from it. And Robert was already on edge by how much attention Bricker was paying Cora, so I'd say he was in the right, double standard or not.

Probably the shows biggest downfall is that although there is so much going on, nothing really seems to happen, and some of the characters are just all over the place. Barrow seems to go thru one life hurdle to the next each week, hard to keep up with it. Rose's transformation from "flapper" to concerned social worker for the Russian emigre's seems "off". Looks like we get to spend another season watching Mary figure out who she wants.

Mosely as "first footman" has been hilarious this season and has been enjoyable.

Getting tired of the Anna/Bates and Mr. Greene mystery, just get it over with already.

I did like some of the foreshadowing they did this week with the German brown shirts and the unnamed reference to Hitler. Hopefully Edith's plight can get put to rest finally.

Story lines are all over the place, but the show is so wonderfully done that it compensates for what seems to be lacking in character development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Story lines are all over the place, but the show is so wonderfully done that it compensates for what seems to be lacking in character development.
    I am right there with you. The writing on this show sometimes irritates me. Often there is really no change in the characters growth from the beginning to the end of the season. Yet is is so sumptuous to watch, I keep watching.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

Robert can be kind of a... well, you know. He has always been a little bit much. And Cora, at least she isn't coming across as a simpering ninny this season. At least, not as much of one. But I agree with you. We're a modern audience with modern sensibilities, so even though, yes, it is more in keeping with the times the way they're portraying this, we can't help but want better for Cora.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the season online as it aired abroad again this year. I'm not sure exactly where the US airing is at so I'll refrain from commenting on specific plot lines, but I will say overall I enjoyed this season a bit more than last. HHG hit the nail on the head- a few too many plotlines. So much going on that sometimes nothing seems to be going on. And they definitely need a new plotline for Anna/Bates that does not involve a crime!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I watched the season online as it aired abroad again this year. I'm not sure exactly where the US airing is at so I'll refrain from commenting on specific plot lines, but I will say overall I enjoyed this season a bit more than last. HHG hit the nail on the head- a few too many plotlines. So much going on that sometimes nothing seems to be going on. And they definitely need a new plotline for Anna/Bates that does not involve a crime!
    The latest episode we saw was the one where Miss Bunting leaves the village (HOORAY!) and MR. Bricker is caught in the bedroom with Cora and he gets beat up by Robert.
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, this was a good episode! Stuff happened. Lady Mary really showed her true colors (nasty and self-absorbed). Could Edith really be happy at last? It left me with hope. Also some interesting developments for other characters.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Really could not stand Edith this episode. Besides walking around under a storm cloud all the time and expecting all of Yorkshire to mope around with her, she callously and cold-heartedly steals Marigold away from Mrs Drewe in particular.

I get she probably still retained the legal rights, but she treats Marigold like a toy she can play with and drop off, take back and return. This is the 2nd mother that she has now ripped Marigold away from, hard to see Edith as a sympathetic character any more. Unfortunately it looks to be another case of a convenient inheritance (Gregson's business) that will probably allow Edith to function without the family money.

I just wish they could/would put the whole Edith storyline to bed as well as the death of Mr. Greene. I wouldn't mind knowing who actually killed him, but I don't need two-three seasons to find out.

Post Thanks / Like

I completely disagree with you on the Edith storyline. Yes, it was hard for the farmer's wife, and I'm sure Marigold will have some issues with that for now. But I think everyone was completely insensitive to Edith, especially Mary. After what Mary went through with Matthew, you think she could have shown her sister some understanding.

I can't blame a woman for moping around when she had the news she was dreading at last, the confirmation of her loved one's death. She was mourning, and it was especially hard because everyone kept carrying on around her like it was nothing. But it acted on Edith as a catalyst to stop living the life forced on her and to make her own choices, choices made possible by her inheritance as it turns out. And I say, good for her! I see it as Edith finally turning her back on the rigid rules and making her own way. It's too bad for the farmer's wife, but she would have cut Edith off entirely from Marigold, which was against the whole purpose of settling Marigold there in the first place.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I completely disagree with you on the Edith storyline. Yes, it was hard for the farmer's wife, and I'm sure Marigold will have some issues with that for now. But I think everyone was completely insensitive to Edith, especially Mary. After what Mary went through with Matthew, you think she could have shown her sister some understanding.

I can't blame a woman for moping around when she had the news she was dreading at last, the confirmation of her loved one's death. She was mourning, and it was especially hard because everyone kept carrying on around her like it was nothing. But it acted on Edith as a catalyst to stop living the life forced on her and to make her own choices, choices made possible by her inheritance as it turns out. And I say, good for her! I see it as Edith finally turning her back on the rigid rules and making her own way. It's too bad for the farmer's wife, but she would have cut Edith off entirely from Marigold, which was against the whole purpose of settling Marigold there in the first place.
    I agree on all your points, Sherri. It's nice to think Mary would show some sympathy but I think Matthew softened her (she's said as much) and now that he's gone and she's out of mourning for him she's back to her old Season 1 Mary. I love to hate her!
    ~Nikki~

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised when I was reading recaps of this episode that so many people hated Edith's actions. Yes, it was sad for Mrs. Drewe and I did think that it was sad Edith had hurt two other women but I felt it as offset by the fact that Edith felt she had no choice and with her position in life and society at the time that is a reasonable feeling. If Edith had been in control of the decision she would have never given her baby away. Also if Mr. Drewe had been honest with his wife, it may have been a very different situation there as well.

Mary. Ugh but ugh in a good way. She is definitely more interesting when she is being arrogant and self absorbed.

Bates & Anna- Just please make it stop.

Other high points for me-

• The dowager expressing that she does like Isobel
    • Cora's reprimand of Robert that gets him out of his dressing room
    • Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes- I can totally picture them together in their "shared" house.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in total agreement with Sherri on the Edith story line.

It's nice to think Mary would show some sympathy but I think Matthew softened her (she's said as much) and now that he's gone and she's out of mourning for him she's back to her old Season 1 Mary. I love to hate her!
    I'm right on board with the hating Mary group. I had sort of forgotten, until this week's episode, how truly nasty Mary is to the very core. There is nothing like a good villainess to liven up a story line.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: