Quantcast Bob Chapek Named Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob Chapek Named Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

BURBANK, Calif.—Bob Chapek has been named Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, it was announced today by Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and Thomas O. Staggs, Chief Operating Officer, The Walt Disney Company.

A 22-year veteran of The Walt Disney Company, Mr. Chapek has served since 2011 as President of Disney Consumer Products, driving a technology-led transformation of the Company’s consumer products, retail and publishing operations. He assumes his new role effective immediately.

“Under Bob’s leadership, Consumer Products has seen great success, focusing on brands and a franchise-driven strategy while launching new products and retail experiences that combine technological innovation and creativity,” Mr. Iger said. “He is an experienced and versatile executive well-suited to lead Parks and Resorts into the future.”

As Chairman of Parks and Resorts, Mr. Chapek succeeds Mr. Staggs, who was named Disney’s Chief Operating Officer earlier this month. Mr. Chapek will report to both Mr. Iger and Mr. Staggs.

“Bob is stepping into this role at an incredibly dynamic and exciting time for our Parks and Resorts business,” Mr. Staggs said. “The ongoing construction of Shanghai Disney Resort as well as the new Avatar-themed land at Walt Disney World continues an era of unprecedented growth and historic expansion.”

“I am grateful for the many opportunities I have had during my years at Disney, and am thrilled to join the incredible Disney Parks organization,” Mr. Chapek said. “I look forward to working with the remarkably talented team dedicated to creating magical memories for millions of guests around the world.” A successor to Mr. Chapek at Disney Consumer Products will be named at a later date.

Prior to leading Disney Consumer Products, Mr. Chapek served as President of Distribution for The Walt Disney Studios from 2009 to 2011, and was responsible for overseeing the Studios' overall content distribution strategy across multiple platforms including theatrical exhibition, home entertainment, pay TV, digital entertainment and new media. He also served as President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, where he spearheaded the successful “vault strategy” for the company’s iconic films and transformed the primary format of home entertainment from DVD to Blu-ray.

Before joining Disney in 1993, Mr. Chapek worked in brand management at H.J. Heinz Company and in advertising at J. Walter Thompson.

Mr. Chapek earned a B.S. in Microbiology at Indiana University Bloomington and an MBA from Michigan State University.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does this mean more gift shops instead of rides?

While you cannot argue with the successes this of key player. After all it was his division that allowed Disney to blow away the most recent Wall street expectations. And I understand that Disney is a business.
    BUT I am somewhat filled with trepidation that the the guy in charge of the parks now, is the guy who Pioneered the triple packaging that nobody wanted (Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital Download) but made it their only choice.
    I can see it now. No more single item food sales. You must accept a whole meal with no substitutions. Want a hot dog? It comes with Fries and a Coke no matter what. Want another hot dog? It comes with Fries and a Coke.
    How bout fast pass+ packaging.
    Want a fast pass to Space mountain? No problem. Fantasyland package #1 is Space Mountain, Small World, and Cinderella's Carousel. Frontierland #3 package comes with Tom Sawyer Island, Big Thunder Mt., and Country Bear Jamboree. Maybe he will stay true to his roots, and the newly renovated area in front of the Castle will not be open plaza but the new "Land" line it with kiosks and shops and it becomes MerchandiseLand.

Post Thanks / Like

"BUT I am somewhat filled with trepidation that the the guy in charge of the parks now, is the guy who Pioneered the triple packaging that nobody wanted (Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital Download) but made it their only choice. "

What makes you think that nobody wants it? It's actually what I *always* want. I want the Blu-ray for home, the DVD for the car, and the digital download for my iPad. In fact, if I can't get it in the triple-packaging, i'm quite disappointed.

Now, you can't please everyone all of the time. You just can't. But to imply that "nobody" wants something is over-reaching.

Give the guy a chance before we condemn him. Running Disney Parks is a whole different beast than running the merchandise section.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drachengeist View Post
    Pioneered the triple packaging that nobody wanted (Blu-Ray, DVD, Digital Download) but made it their only choice.
    Actually, it isn't your only choice but one of several... You could either buy the blu ray DVD combo pack or just the standard DVD... I prefer buying the combo packs myself...

What I would have concerns over is:

1) He is the guy responsible for watering down the products Disney has sold

2) Has no theme park/resorts experience

3) He is just another numbers guy, get the increase of the bottom line any way, any how... This ALWAYS spells doom for the theme parks, when money guys are in charge, and not creatives...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I will grant you your point. Maybe my Disney-Fu is not strong enough to want the whole package ALL the time. Making it the only option for new releases is a brilliant marketing strategy for Disney, But I have reservations about the same philosophy being over-applied elsewhere because it was so financially lucrative.

What I will be pinning my hopes for him on, is that this is the same group that went beyond Elsa dresses and came up with Disney Infinity. It is a license to print money for the company.
    It was an innovative concept. And the way that the figures fly off the shelf, its what a WHOLE LOT of people wanted to see/own.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok now I REALLY stand corrected. Two in a row that prefer the combo. But I must be shopping in the wrong places as the only thing I see when a new movie hits is the combo pack? Especially if I want Blu-ray.0ther studios manage to release Blu-ray only packaging. But that is neither here nor there. I retract my statement although it was based on personal experience with anybody that I had spoken with on the topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drachengeist View Post
    Ok now I REALLY stand corrected. Two in a row that prefer the combo. But I must be shopping in the wrong places as the only thing I see when a new movie hits is the combo pack? Especially if I want Blu-ray.0ther studios manage to release Blu-ray only packaging. But that is neither here nor there. I retract my statement although it was based on personal experience with anybody that I had spoken with on the topic.
    I checked Amazon, and noted some of the new live action releases were blu ray only, or blu ray with digital download, not even the blu ray/dvd combo pack... Most other studios are releasing blu ray/dvd combo packs or just standard dvd, with no blu ray... You are right that seeing just blu ray is rare today...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the combo/triple pack.

However, I don't appreciate being forced to purchase excess. Do you know how difficult it is to find an A-cup bra for my teenage daughter that isn't padded? I'm not being facetious. It drives me NUTS!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post

What I would have concerns over is:

1) He is the guy responsible for watering down the products Disney has sold

2) Has no theme park/resorts experience

3) He is just another numbers guy, get the increase of the bottom line any way, any how... This ALWAYS spells doom for the theme parks, when money guys are in charge, and not creatives...
    You got it! But can he be worse than Meg Crofton? I guess never say never....
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I prefer the combo/triple pack.

However, I don't appreciate being forced to purchase excess. Do you know how difficult it is to find an A-cup bra for my teenage daughter that isn't padded? I'm not being facetious. It drives me NUTS!
    Your daughter is going to kill you!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to the impact his microbiology degree has on the parks. I expect a 20% bacterial reduction on the rails in queues by 2016. I will accept no less.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAN View Post
    You got it! But can he be worse than Meg Crofton? I guess never say never....
    He is a Bob Iger yes man... His directive would be the same as it has been, increase the bottom line by any means necessary... And by necessary, I don't mean top of the line attractions or major expansions or things the guests would enjoy... I fully expect absolutely no changes and the same downward direction WDW is currently going in...

That said, hopefully he proves me wrong... My gut says, this is Pressler all over again... That didn't turn out very well for Disneyland...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    I look forward to the impact his microbiology degree has on the parks. I expect a 20% bacterial reduction on the rails in queues by 2016. I will accept no less.
    Could this spell the end of reclaimed water? Or is it just the beginning...
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

A Hoosier running Disney World! Lord help us all!
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

He is a Bob Iger yes man... His directive would be the same as it has been, increase the bottom line by any means necessary... And by necessary, I don't mean top of the line attractions or major expansions or things the guests would enjoy... I fully expect absolutely no changes and the same downward direction WDW is currently going in...
    You wouldn't really expect anything else, would you?

Although, some of the problems don't necessarily require a lot of financial investment to repair. I'm thinking of customer service/culture problems that have become more prevalent over the years. However, there is still no incentive to address that. That is another part of the 'race-to-the-bottom' mission they're on. No doubt meetings are spent trying to figure out how little they can get by with and how much more they think people will pay for it. I wonder if they've been surprised in both directions.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the only way that they won't continue this trend of money being more important than everything else is if we make them start losing money by not going.
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    You wouldn't really expect anything else, would you?
    With this management crop of monkeys? Nope... Maybe once Iger goes, but until then, it isn't about creativity with Disney anymore... it's bottom line, appeasing Wall Street, guest satisfaction and experience with the theme parks rank at the bottom... Oh and Staggs being CEO will be just as bad if not worse... Staggs was part of that dreadful Strategic Planning department, which majority of the problems WDW has been facing the last 20 years can be attributed to... Not sure Staggs is the man to lead a company built on creativity...

manutd1 Guest

A lot of unfounded Iger bashing..He has really done a great job historically...Disney stock has what quadrupled? Disney under Iger.. now owns the rights (the whole kit and caboodle) to Marvel, Star wars...and of course Pixar.. And, even though some and IMHO wrongly so...say the parks are in decline...Which i strongly disagree...I think the parks and attractions are superb. More refurbs and and updates going on than I can remember lately. Attendance up and up each year...
    You don't see a lot of folks disappointed with Iger elsewhere...on here ,i guess so.
    Lou Mongello has a great read about Iger and what his legacy will be....And it will be a good one! But, If you want to grade Iger...he gets an A from me. my family satisfaction is a good as ever...apparently a lot of others also. If not..attendence would be down. Just like in ANY other business.

manutd1 Guest

With this management crop of monkeys? Nope... Maybe once Iger goes, but until then, it isn't about creativity with Disney anymore... it's bottom line, appeasing Wall Street, guest satisfaction and experience with the theme parks rank at the bottom... Oh and Staggs being CEO will be just as bad if not worse... Staggs was part of that dreadful Strategic Planning department, which majority of the problems WDW has been facing the last 20 years can be attributed to... Not sure Staggs is the man to lead a company built on creativity...
    I meant to put the above in quotes for my above response...But, I couldn't disagree more with what you said. WDW in the last 20 years has only gotten better..I just don't see or understand the negativity. We all have opinions...but I just find the above unfounded.
    To each their own i guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manutd1 View Post
    I meant to put the above in quotes for my above response...But, I couldn't disagree more with what you said. WDW in the last 20 years has only gotten better..I just don't see or understand the negativity. We all have opinions...but I just find the above unfounded.
    To each their own i guess.
    What you really need to do is look at the numbers... Iger has actually been WORSE for Disney, numbers wise... Not just the theme parks, which he really doesn't care about...

I'm not going to sit here doing the research for people... The numbers are there... Crunch them, do spreadsheets... Compare them to Eisner's first 10 years as CEO, then come back to me and tell me Iger is an excellent CEO... Hint: he hasn't been...

Where Disney used to be a creative company, Iger has killed that... Under Iger there has been no creativity... He made the move any sane person would have, getting Pixar under the company's wings... Why? Cause they needed Pixar... If Pixar left, Disney animation would have died... We can blame Eisner for Pixar almost leaving, but can't credit Iger.. he made the only move he could... And All Iger has done is become an IP collector... They don't create their own anymore... Star Wars (I hope they don't ruin Star Wars by shoving it down our throats like they did Frozen, making people sick of it), Marvel.. All no brainers... But again, only necessary cause Iger has no creative juices in his rigid body... None...

And you loss points quoting Lou Mongello... He is the WORST person to use as a source for anything and a terrible choice for defending your opinion... Find unbiased sources... Not ones who are paid by the company to spew their "pixie dust"....

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: