Quantcast Difference between disney buses and driving

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference between disney buses and driving

We are looking at going again in late July 2015. We have only used disney transportation, but will have our 4 year old grandchild with us and do not want to have hold him sleeping on the bus after the park.
    For those who have used both disney transportation and driving a car to the parks. What is the pros and cons for each. Which do you prefer? At the end of the night is it faster to wait on the bus with everyone leaving or waiting on the tram to go to find your car? Last one, what is the furthest they drop you from your car in the parking lot?
    Foshe's
    Aug 2-11, 2014
    Sept 21-26, 2013no kids allowed
    June 2-9, 2012
    dec 20-26,2009
    July 11-17 2009, DEC21-25 2008,
    July 13-18 2008, Aug 6-10 2007
    July 2006/ French quarter
    July 2005/ Yach club
    July 2004/ POP (familys first trip)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    manutd1 Guest

To me...there are no cons to driving.
    First of all, i love to use disney transportation.
    Its easy, free and we do it evert time........except when we drive to wdw. (which is rare) but, the last time we dove 2012...we drove to the parks everyday. There were no issues at all. I think the roads are CLEARLY marked as to where you want to go and in a way...with kids, it IS easier to just drive. As much as i like disney transport...you will have to wait a bit and if the bus is full...you may not get a seat ( i also don't think thats an issue either...i have stood happily many times..how can i complain..its free). So, If i were you and I had my car....Id drive. We just usually fly...so buses for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. We have always just used the disney buses and I always stand on the way back from the parks to let kids, women or old people to have the seat. Last time we took our grandson he was 1 and easy to hold even standing on the bus, but at 4 he is getting heavy and we will be driving down this year.
    Foshe's
    Aug 2-11, 2014
    Sept 21-26, 2013no kids allowed
    June 2-9, 2012
    dec 20-26,2009
    July 11-17 2009, DEC21-25 2008,
    July 13-18 2008, Aug 6-10 2007
    July 2006/ French quarter
    July 2005/ Yach club
    July 2004/ POP (familys first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of driving as much as we can at Disney. DH is a fan of the busses, so it makes for some very interesting conversations in our house.

But, he is a good husband, and we usually drive. At busy times (opening and closing) there is so comparison ... getting to your car is quick and easy (even if you have to take a tram, there is seldom a line) and you're comfortable (and cool) while heading back. No waiting in a bus line, and no risk of having to stand.

As the PP said, roads are well marked and it is easy to get around.

What sold me was the simple fact that in my car, I was only 7 minutes from POFQ to Epcot, yet I would usually wait longer than that for a bus.

The busses do a great job, but I love having my car!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I used to exclusively use the buses - and occasionally still use them - but I don't mind the driving. Its well marked and much quicker. In all parks except MK, it is actually possible to just walk to your car if you so choose rather than wait on a tram. And no question quicker.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Having your own vehicle allows you the freedom to go where *you* want, *when* you want, and not have to go through possibly four or five other stops at a few minutes each.

Last September was our first "real" Disney vacation (after having worked there for almost ten years), and we used the buses. It would take us an hour or more (sometimes) to get where we wanted to go. Driving your own vehicle, it shouldn't take you more than about 15 minutes.

Downside: if you have a child in a stroller, loading/unloading the stroller, folding/unfolding it for the trams can be frustrating. My suggestion for anyone with strollers driving their own car is to *leave the stroller folded up* when you get to the parking lot, because you're just going to fold it up again at the tram, especially at Magic Kingdom. At the other three parks, it *is* possible to just walk to/from your car to/from the entrance/exit at the end of the night.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

We drive to every park except MK. I've found it faster to just take a bus to the main gate usually. Depending on the time of day, the monorail or ferry line can be quite long from the MK parking lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    We drive to every park except MK. I've found it faster to just take a bus to the main gate usually. Depending on the time of day, the monorail or ferry line can be quite long from the MK parking lot.
    Totally agree with this, and recommend this very thing all the time. Love driving to the other 3 parks though.

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive. Even when we fly to Disney, my DH insists on renting a car. I've gotten to know the area very well, and Disney property is VERY well marked. Since you're staying onsite, parking is free. With a little one, it will be nice to have access to a grocery store if you need to get a few things.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Driving instead of taking a bus is the way to go. We usually regret having taking a bus when we could've driven
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

we will only drive nowadays. we used the busses once, but what killed it for us was the wait to go home after the fireworks at MK. After about two hours of waiting we finally got going. Never again. Plus, there's nothing like being able to sleep in a bit knowing you can GO when you want, and stay as long as you want knowing you can LEAVE when you are ready. No standing when your legs are dead tired waiting for a bus, nothing but a nice cool and QUIET car ride home. Plus it's pretty darn quick too. You can also stop at the Hess or other stations and get a snack or drink if needed.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand the buses. I would usually pay more to stay at an Epcot resort just so I didn't have to use them much. The first time we stayed at Pop, no car. Second time, I rented one for the whole week just so I didn't have to rely on the buses.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Totally agree with this, and recommend this very thing all the time. Love driving to the other 3 parks though.
    I'll completely agree with these two. When driving to MK you may have to take the tram to the Transportation and Ticket Center. From there you must take the monorail or ferry over to the park. This can add up to well over an hour from the time you park to the time you arrive at the MK gates. We always have a vehicle but we always bus to MK.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I'll completely agree with these two. When driving to MK you may have to take the tram to the Transportation and Ticket Center. From there you must take the monorail or ferry over to the park. This can add up to well over an hour from the time you park to the time you arrive at the MK gates. We always have a vehicle but we always bus to MK.
    Actually not true. You can also take a bus from TTC to MK. We did this last time we went (which was the week after Christmas). It was much faster jumping on a bus than waiting for the monorail or ferry. But to answer the original question we drive. We no longer stay on property to be able to use the busses but we have before and we definitely prefer driving.
    Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie
    Disney Honeymoon~~Aug. '02 Off Property
    1st Family Trip~~Feb. '13 ASMovies
    Surprise Trip!! Dec. 2014!!! Off Property
    Next trip booked! July 2015! Wyndham Bonnet Creek!!

Post Thanks / Like

I get "car" sickness when riding public transportation (bus, monorail, boat) so driving is the best option for us. Also, my husband is a control freak and impatient, so Disney transportation is too much for him to handle. On our last trip, we stayed at the Contemporary. That way, we could walk to the MK (the only park that requires you to use some form of transportation from the parking lot) and drive to the other parks and restaurants.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Always used the busses.......does it not cost something to park at the parks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony007 View Post
    Always used the busses.......does it not cost something to park at the parks?
    Yes. It costs $17/ day (that I can remember), but if you stay onsite, you get a parking pass for the duration of your stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Another "plus" for driving your own vehicle:

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    It will be nice to have access to a grocery store if you need to get a few things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cass&KenziesMom View Post
    You can also take a bus from TTC to MK. We did this last time we went (which was the week after Christmas). It was much faster jumping on a bus than waiting for the monorail or ferry.
    Since when is there a direct bus from TTC to MK...? I know there's buses from TTC to the other three parks and back, but to MK...?

Quote Originally Posted by Cass&KenziesMom View Post
    We no longer stay on property to be able to use the buses, but we have before and we definitely prefer driving.
    You don't have to "stay on property" to use Disney transportation. For example, if you have a dining reservation at a resort, you can use the bus from the park to your resort of choice.

Another coupla tricks for leaving MK at the end of the night?

1) If you've parked your own vehicle at the TTC, take the *resort* monorail from MK to TTC. *MUCH* quicker than waiting on the "Express" side at the end of the night. It's the second stop on the Resort side.

2) Instead of waiting an hour or more on a resort bus *at* the MK bus stop, *walk* over to the Contemporary, and take a bus to the nearest theme park or Downtown Disney, then *your* resort bus from there.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

We usually stay at a resort with at least one park to use either the monorail or walking. We always drive to AK. And usually to HS to leave at our own time from Fantasmic. We have 3 kids and strollers and we loathe folding them for buses.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Jim we were there from Dec. 26th-31st and every day we did MK we took a bus from the TTC to MK. Instead of turning left for the ferry or going straight for the monorail we hooked a right and there were busses taking people to MK. The CMs acted as if it were a regular thing.
    Ashley
    Wife to James
    Mom to Cassidy & Kenzie
    Disney Honeymoon~~Aug. '02 Off Property
    1st Family Trip~~Feb. '13 ASMovies
    Surprise Trip!! Dec. 2014!!! Off Property
    Next trip booked! July 2015! Wyndham Bonnet Creek!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: