Quantcast "Selfie Sticks" - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Selfie Sticks"

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Flash Photography

I couldn't agree more about the annoyance of camera flashes on attractions like Pirates or Haunted Mansion; but I feel the policy is virtually impossible to enforce. I even embarrassingly admit that the first time I saw the Country Bear Jamboree I thought I had turned my flash off, but hadn't, and shocked myself when a blinding light shot out. I felt so ashamed and guilty...I slumped down on the bench and expected to be arrested by Park Police. I just knew I had ruined the show for everyone present.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default to JROCKER

Are you the one with the sandals and black knee socks ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicholsbears View Post
    Are you the one with the sandals and black knee socks ?
    Flip flops and knee length, multi-colored, toe socks.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Do a youtube search for "selfie sticks on rides" to see them in action.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Altair, I just did. A video of people using them on It's A Small World popped up. How precarious!!! I'm even more thrilled they're banned.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    Altair, I just did. A video of people using them on It's A Small World popped up. How precarious!!! I'm even more thrilled they're banned.
    Well, that's ONE side of the story. You can also look at these two vacation videos where I used one with a GoPro. Very responsibly, I might add.

Expedition Everest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yUKIUTCaq0

Kali River Rapids - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yUKIUTCaq0

On Expedition Everest, I asked if I could use it, and the CM said as long as I kept it below the level of the seat in front of me. I thought that was reasonable. The guy in front of me also used one (not extended).

In fact, in both cases, I didn't have mine extended. I used it much more like a handle. I just wanted it to be able to keep the video smooth.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

The issue isn't the stick itself, it is in how the stick is used. Too many selfish people are only there for their vacation and are bound and determined to get their vacation well documented. The other people that have paid just as much or even more if they have saved for YEARS - they just don't matter.
    If people used it discreetly and in a courteous manner, then the ban would not have needed to be placed. I personally don't like them, but until I was beaned in the face by a teen not paying attention as she was doing a panorama at Kings Dominion, I had no opinion on them. After suffering a black eye and bruised bone (She whacked me hard), I abhor the things.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

azcavalier, I watched your videos (and subsequently subscribed to your page,) and riding along with you on Expedition: Everest really made me miss it, as well as realize why I enjoy that ride so much. My DS and I plan to watch them all this weekend!

Regarding the selfie sticks themselves, as others have stated, it really does come down to the responsibility of the user. Unfortunately, too many vacationers have an "It's Me! It's Me!" attitude and little regard for others on vacation.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    azcavalier, I watched your videos (and subsequently subscribed to your page,)
    Well, you'll probably be sorely disappointed with the quality of videos I put on my YouTube channel. I'll try to step up my game!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Azcavalier, at least you have a game, which is more than I can say for myself.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Just heard the news that "selfie stick" were banned completely at WDW and Disneyland starting June 30...thank you Disney. They are to be confiscated at the park entrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah !!!
    Rude & ignorant people, Think only about themselves.

ust heard the news that "selfie stick" were banned completely at WDW and Disneyland starting June 30...thank you Disney. They are to be confiscated at the park entrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    For someone like that, you need a mirror on a selfie stick to put in front of their flash and blind them!!!
    OMG!! I think you just came up with the ONLY decent use of a selfie stick ever!!! I may have to change my stance on them . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

For those that say a selfie stick can be used for other things:
    If you need a selfie stick to take a photo, you shouldn't be taking photos/video.

Good for disney. Every person who gets one confiscated, or brings one, should loose Fastpass privileges, and be sentenced to 3 showings of Stitch's Escape.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    For those that say a selfie stick can be used for other things:
    If you need a selfie stick to take a photo, you shouldn't be taking photos/video.
    I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with Disney on banning them (more so than you would know or realize), however, some folks with a condition known as "familial hand tremors" might take some issue with your generalized "put down".

A "selfie stick" for those individuals can be a very useful tool to steady a phone camera for taking pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely NO selfie sticks in WDW parks at all ever no matter when or why. I don't care if you're Cecil B. deSpielberg with a GoPro XXXXXXL and you're refilming Gone With The Wind for the Smithsonian Institute. Wave a camera attached a selfie stick in my 4 YOs face and we'll test camera to pavement impact resistance. And give me a break. A selfie stick would only amplify the effect of this week's hand tremor.

Simply put, we'll enjoy our vacation without interfering with your vacation and we expect you to do that same.

Post Thanks / Like

What is rude and what is not rude is a conversation we've had for years, and the opinions are very individual. The topics have change over those years. Anywhere from people smoking in the parks (not too many years back!), to flash photography, to phones/tablets being turned on in dark theaters, to loud talking, to texting, to kids on parents shoulders at shows, to strollers/wheelchairs. And now selfie sticks. The one thing I can see about these sticks is some of the people using them seem oblivious to the safety hazard they can be on certain rides. And it's likely someone besides the person with the stick will get hurt. But this is just another chapter..... There will likely be something new next year! And the year after.... All I know is I haven't found anything so rude that I won't be heading back to the parks just as soon as I can!!

Post Thanks / Like

The issues are from people's attitudes....... the "me, me' me" business....... the problems with various devices are just manifestations of the attitude.

Unfortunately it seems that the "me, me, me" attitudes are expanding in the population.

Sad really.

best,

...............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Thanx, congrats on 2,000 posts.

Sometimes I think human rudeness is almost increased and WDW. It's often crowded, sometimes warm and standing and waiting whether it's for rides or busses or parades or meals is few people's idea of a vacation... and a vacation that families look forward to and plan and save for, often for months. The anticipation level is warp factor 7.

My view is, we're all here to see Mickey and fly with Dumbo and oo and ah when Tinkerbell flies down from the castle... and garsh, we're here not back home posting replies on Intercot.

So let's get along and wait our turn and give each other a smile (and photograph those smiles without selfie sticks).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with Disney on banning them (more so than you would know or realize), however, some folks with a condition known as "familial hand tremors" might take some issue with your generalized "put down".

A "selfie stick" for those individuals can be a very useful tool to steady a phone camera for taking pictures.
    Yeah, don't care. Long live the ban.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings