Quantcast Thoughts on going from Deluxe tier to Moderate tier

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts on going from Deluxe tier to Moderate tier

I'm trying to plan our fall trip, and we usually rent a 2 bedroom DVC villa at Saratoga Springs or AKL. We've also done Wilderness Lodge and Bay Lake Towers. I've loved them all, and I do love the deluxe resorts. We tend to spend the majority of the time at the resorts with our little ones, enjoying the playgrounds and pool area.

But this year, I'm thinking about saving money and looking at Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, possibly Port Orleans Riverside. I've stayed at CB a long time ago and really liked it.

I'm also on the other end of the spectrum looking at a standard room at the Beach / Yacht Club. That would be a splurge, but we absolutely loved visiting for Cape May brunch.

I cannot make up my mind what to do, and would love any input on whether the deluxe resorts are really worth the extra money, or if the moderates I've listed are just as great.

Thanks!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Staying deluxe really does spoil you, that is why we bought into DVC! We have stayed in most of the moderate resorts and they are nice, too. We prefer POFQ because of its size and boat to DTD.

You said you usually make good use of the resorts so I would recommend sticking with the deluxe resorts if you can manage it. The moderates are nice but the rooms can be claustrophobic if there are more than two people in the room.
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
    You said you usually make good use of the resorts so I would recommend sticking with the deluxe resorts if you can manage it. The moderates are nice but the rooms can be claustrophobic if there are more than two people in the room.
    That is my fear with our 2 little ones. Good advice!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I actually enjoyed the moderates I have been in more than the deluxe. I would think about what amenities it is you enjoy most at the deluxe and then see if they are at the moderates. That can help you decide if the money is worth it or not.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

manutd1 Guest

We have stayed at all three tiers. Only difference is what you make of it. I have never regretted staying at a value and saved a lot of money.
    The values are great resorts. We have also stayed at W.L. and of course loved it. Our favorite moderate is POR (alligator bayou). In no way would the level of resort we stay at affect our vacation. There more we pay...the nicer things are but in the end...its just a shower and a bed. All of them work just fine for us. I look just as forward to our trips to Disney whether we stay at POP or W.L.

Post Thanks / Like

The main difference between Deluxe and Moderate is interior access to the rooms. After that, there is not too much of a difference. POR and CSR have excellent sit down meals and pools. CSR is a Deluxe in a Moderate package.

In the end, there is absolutely no comparison in room size from a 2BR Villa to a Studio. It is an absolute unfrair comparison. The 2BR unit is far superior in size and amenities. It really comes down to what you are looking to accomplish.

I love Pop Century. There is nothing there I do not like. We are fortunate to only have 1 child which makes it easy. However, I do really enjoy a deluxe when we can get it at a Value resort price. No one can really speak for you or the cost difference. If it is only a few hundred difference between Moderate and Deluxe, go Deluxe. There are tons of people almost giving away DVC rentals. I got SSR for literally $53 more than the maintenance fees for the year.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I have done the All Stars and I have done the Grand Floridian concierge level and a whole lot in between...

It really is what you make of it - when we do the All Stars, we bring our own bathroom supplies - I go to Bath and Body works and buy some travel sizes and make it a little special.

Yes, the All Stars room are smaller then the rooms at Wilderness Lodge - however, the rooms at Wilderness Lodge are smaller than the rooms at Shades of Green (military only) - so its all relative.

Have you looked at renting DVC points? That might be something to look into - you usually get more for your money with that option.
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the great input. We usually do rent DVC points, but I started planning later this year, and are very limited on what's available, so I thought Id just check different options. This time we don't need a 2 bedroom villa, which is why I'm looking at other resort options. But it's hard when that's what you are used to!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're used to staying in the DVC villas at the deluxe resorts, than it will be even more of an adjustment for your family to get used to a moderate. If you do go that direction I would suggest looking at Coronado Springs; the amenities and theming there make it feel more a bit more like a deluxe than the other moderates. Have you thought about staying in the Art of Animation suites? That would give you some extra space and they're fun for the kids.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    If you're used to staying in the DVC villas at the deluxe resorts, than it will be even more of an adjustment for your family to get used to a moderate. If you do go that direction I would suggest looking at Coronado Springs; the amenities and theming there make it feel more a bit more like a deluxe than the other moderates. Have you thought about staying in the Art of Animation suites? That would give you some extra space and they're fun for the kids.
    I agree with Beth. I think the biggest issue is the change in size versus the step down from deluxe to moderate.

We are usually a deluxe family but we stayed moderate on our last trip and there were no complaints from anyone in my family, but it depends on what is important to you.

I would make a list of what is important to you at the deluxe resorts:

-Convenience to parks (walk to park, monorail, boat)
    -Interior halls
    -kid's club with extra activities
    -usually 2 sit down meal options (I think Coronado has 2 sit down options now)

If any of those items are really important to you, a moderate might not work.

However the moderates all have very nice pool areas with slide. They usually have extras like carriage rides, bike rentals etc. They also have much larger food courts with more quick serve options than the deluxe resorts.

The final thing I'd consider is how much do you use the extra amenities at the deluxe resorts? If you are a park commando it is not going to bother as much as someone who likes to hang out at the resort.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Another thumbs up for the art of animation - we had a lion king suite and loved it!!

Heads up though - the price is greater then Wilderness lodge though....

Speaking of wilderness lodge - we love the rooms that have a set of bunk beds in them - gives the room a lot of space...

By the way - I'm going to move this over to accommodations - people over there might have some things to add....
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Update!

Well, through some special (unforeseen) circumstances, we are now booked at the Yacht Club! I guess that answers my question for this trip. I cannot wait to get there. It looks amazing, and something new for us.

As I'm reading through all of the great comments, one thing that I love about the deluxe hotels is hanging out in the lobby (especially AKL), and I do appreciate the more sophisticated theming of the deluxes. Especially since right now we don't do the parks as much with the kids- they honestly would rather ride the bus around and find a good playground, I think the extra money is justified for the deluxes. For now.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad it all worked out for you.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Lawgirl may I ask what ages the kids are? This next trip will be the first with a kid along & we too are trying to decide what will be most important for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    Lawgirl may I ask what ages the kids are? This next trip will be the first with a kid along & we too are trying to decide what will be most important for him.
    They will be 3 and 5, and we've been taking them since they've been 3 months old. I'll have to say, the 2 bedroom / 1 bedroom villa was perfect for trying to get my youngest to take a nap and fall asleep at night. And so nice to have the living room and kitchen area for after she fell asleep. And the kitchen and laundry has always been so helpful. The extra living space and bathrooms make it feel so spacious, and the kids really honestly love just being at the resort at this point. My parents usually go with us to help out, and having a 2 bedroom where we can all be together has been so perfect.

This is a shorter trip for us, and I think its just the 4 of us. My husband isn't a huge fan of AKL (which will forever be my favorite), and we've stayed at SS several times and I wanted something new. Yacht Club this time will be interesting. My kids and I love anything nautical, so I think it will be great. It looks like the rooms are a little bigger, and the pool looks incredible. We are doing the Halloween party one night, then just hanging out at the resort the rest of the time.

Key factors for me are a cool playground and kiddie area for the pool (not just a shallow round pool). AKL has my favorite water play area for the kids- right up there with Aulani in my book- and really just being at the resort is almost as good as being at the AK park, for us for now anyways...my kids think it is so cool to see the animals. I also love to grab a glass of wine and hang out in the lobby while the kids watch the classic Disney shows and explore the resort.

But SS has also been so great. We love the playground area there, and its so quiet.

While my kids are young and not that into the parks (my daughter was pretty scared and overwhelmed at Epcot), and they really like riding the bus around to the different resorts, like AoA...I've tried to find ways to make a "non-park" day just as fun, and way cheaper.

What all resorts are you thinking about?

Post Thanks / Like

And as far as the other resorts, the Bay Lake Towers was nice, but the bathroom was all super slick surfaces, and not kid friendly. AoA is cool, but both of my kids were completely freaked out by the Lion King part. We visited a couple of times to see the Cars part, and wandered over into the other areas, and they both were scared.

We just got back from Aulani, which was insanely incredible, so Polynesian is out for us. GF is just too much. WL is still on my list. Caribbean Beach and Coronado have such cool playgrounds and pools, that I really am considering them next time. Old Key West 2 bedrooms look great too.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't rule out the cabins at Fort Wilderness - tons of things for little ones to do there!
    Ali's Mom
    Senior Imagineer

Post Thanks / Like

You will love the YC! The Beach Club is our family's favorite resort, hands down. DH and I stayed at the YC for the first time in January and it was lovely as well, but BC is tops in our opinion. Just can't beat the atmosphere/decor and proximity to Epcot.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: