Quantcast Skipping Xmas party this time!??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Skipping Xmas party this time!??

So It's always been a given that when we go for a holiday and there's a special party Xmas or Halloween it's a no brainier we are getting tickets but this year Im not sure we are going to do that. I'm just not sure I can justify spending almost 400$ extra for us to attend the Xmas party and I don't think my kids are really going to miss it. I feel like anymore these events are becoming so overpriced and altho they are fun I just can't do everything anymore and it seems like a lot of money for a park we ate already going to. Maybe once it gets closer if the budget opens up I'll see what happens but right now we decided it's now gonna happen I feel a little sad but it's def worth the few extra meals we will get with the money we are saving. Anyone else skipping out?
    1996 Caribbean Beach
    1996 All Star Sports
    1998 All Star Music
    1999 Coronado Springs
    2000 Dixie Landings/Disney Wonder
    2001 Caribbean Beach/Disney Wonder
    2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2004 Wilderness Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans Riverside
    April 2006 Caribbean Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to take the break from the party this year. You will still be able to enjoy the MK in holiday decorations if you don't attend the party. I'd consider spurging on a special dinner one night, or using the funds to try a special souvenier.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

We skipped the Christmas party the last time we were there in December. The cost is beginning to outweigh the fun factor. While I felt a little twinge of regret, I am not sorry to have passed on it.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We have never been to the Christmas Party despite having visited three times in December. Don't really plan on it. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
    Faith, Family, Fidelity, Fun

'88 - Honeymoon
    '02 - ASmovie
    '03 - VWL
    '04 - HHI
    '05 - DCL, BCV
    '06 - HHI
    '07 - POR, VWL, POP/BWV
    '09 - BWV, BCV/SSR
    '10 - BWV
    '12 - AKV/BCV, VWL
    '13 - AKV
    '15 - BCV, AKV
    '16 - AKV
    '18 - VWL
    '19 - OKW, THV, GF
    '20 - BWV
    '21 - AKL/OKW

Post Thanks / Like

First off, what is Xmas?????? There is no such thing. The holiday is CHRISTmas. Sorry, but this is something that ticks me off more and more each time I see it.

OK, off my (abbreviated) soapbox.....

As far as MVMCP goes, there is nothing major that you get for the $$$ spent. Yes, a couple "stage" shows and a dance party, but I didn't see that it was worth the high fees. For the most part, you can see the holiday Wishes tag from outside the park -- Contemporary, Bay Lake, etc. MVMCP is a one and done party, and I have already done it once.

MNSSHP is actually a much better ROI. The parade is better; The fireworks are better; AND you can 'trick or treat' around the park and get (bags of) candy!!! MNSSHP can be revisited occasionally. I have done it once and would definitely do it again.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I went to my first Xmas party this past December only because I had never done the Xmas party before. It was nice as I had never experienced it before but I won't be attending any time soon. 5 hours? For the amount of money those tickets are we should be getting more than 5 hours.

If you have been several times before is say skip it and one night watch the fireworks from the Poly.

Post Thanks / Like

We are skipping it this year as well. Our money just isn't going as far as it used to and everything is going up so much, including at Disney. We just do not feel that it is worth it anymore. We are just feeling glad to go to WDW at all.

Post Thanks / Like

We went to the Christmas Party once about 4 years ago. For my family is isn't worth the extra cost especially as pass holders. There are not enough special things during the event for us. We have not done it again.

If I had to spend on an event , I'd probably do the Halloween Party but there are a lot of events at other parks that are much less expensive that are starting to be more appealing.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We did the party last year for the first time to say we had done it. While it was fun I just can't say I would do it again. The cost is just not worth it for us.
    Scrappy

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago, the cost of the parties was not unreasonable, I think it was $39.95 per person (advance price) the first time we went to MNSSHP. But in the last few years, the price has put it out of reach for us. I just don't consider them to be worth it anymore.

However, we went this past Christmas week and discovered that if you visit WDW after December 20, you get almost of the benefits of the Christmas Party, Parade, etc. without having to pay extra for the privilege. Of course it's not limited attendance, so it was crowded, but the MK was open until at least midnight every night, and the crowds thinned out considerably after 10.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I would go if i did not have a length of stay or season pass ticket. If we are on property for 4days, for example, and have a two day ticket we would by that and go in at 4 because it is cheaper than a one day pass. Since i have had a season pass, i no longer go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    First off, what is Xmas?????? There is no such thing. The holiday is CHRISTmas. Sorry, but this is something that ticks me off more and more each time I see it.
    Actually, Xmas is a term that that has been used interchangeably for Christmas since the 17th century. The letter "X" originating from the Greek letter "Chi", which was the first letter of the word Christos, which obviously stands for Christ. So there definitely is a legitimate use of the term Xmas.

As far as the question by the original poster--if you have already done the MVMCP, then I don't think you're missing out out by skipping it this time. I agree that the cost is prohibitive and the way that Disney over-sells these events in recent years makes them far less enjoyable than they used to be.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I have done the party a few times and alotho my kids haven't at 4.5 and 3 I don't think they are gonna feel like they are missing out this time. And yes we have done the Halloween party the last 2 trips and I wouldn't miss it for the headless horseman alone! We are actually staying at the Poly for the first time so I think we can see the fireworks from somewhere at the hotel and best the crowds and the costs...
    1996 Caribbean Beach
    1996 All Star Sports
    1998 All Star Music
    1999 Coronado Springs
    2000 Dixie Landings/Disney Wonder
    2001 Caribbean Beach/Disney Wonder
    2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2004 Wilderness Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans Riverside
    April 2006 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely agree with skipping the Christmas Party. The park will be decked out in the same holiday decorations on non-party days and this is the key, make sure you go on a non-party day with regular park hours late into the evening, on party days the park closes earlier in preparation for the event so you do not want to be there on those days..
    Former WDW Cast Member
    Next Trip - May 2015!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=PopPhan;2453113]First off, what is Xmas?????? There is no such thing. The holiday is CHRISTmas. Sorry, but this is something that ticks me off more and more each time I see it.

I'm with you PopPhan! I'm am tired of this PC Xmas nonsense! As far as the very merry Christmas Party, we've been on numerous occasions over the years, however, we've come to realize that the cost far outweighs the the advantages.....it's really not that big of a deal. BTW....merry Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We have been numerous times but we finally stopped going due to cost and other factors. We decided to take the money and do a really nice dinner out. So many terrific places to explore!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Dec 1997-Contemporary
    Dec 1999-Poly
    Dec 2001-Poly concierge
    June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2003-Poly concierge
    Dec 2005-Poly concierge
    Dec 2007-Poly concierge
    Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
    Dec 2009-Poly concierge
    Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
    Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
    September 2012- Paradise Pier
    January 2014-Grand Floridian
    December 2014-Grand Californian

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post

OK, off my (abbreviated) soapbox.....

As far as MVMCP goes, there is nothing major that you get for the $$$ spent. Yes, a couple "stage" shows and a dance party, but I didn't see that it was worth the high fees. For the most part, you can see the holiday Wishes tag from outside the park -- Contemporary, Bay Lake, etc. MVMCP is a one and done party, and I have already done it once.

MNSSHP is actually a much better ROI. The parade is better; The fireworks are better; AND you can 'trick or treat' around the park and get (bags of) candy!!! MNSSHP can be revisited occasionally. I have done it once and would definitely do it again.
    agreed 110% Christmas..
    And, I will add that the cost of anything is supply and demand. Yep, WDW chargers more for these events....and they are filled to the rim with people. There is always folks who can afford what someone charges for anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Christmas, xmas, it doesn't really matter and neither is intended to be PC. It saves a few key strokes, nothing more. Don't make it a bigger deal than it is.

We did the MVMCP the first time we went in December and loved it. However, we are skipping it this year. We agreed to book a trip this year only if we kept it to a minimal budget so we've cut a lot of extras. I honestly don't think the kids will even care. For us, we evaluate the budget for each trip and splurge or not depending on the year. I would never feel pressure to do it all. Regardless, you're spending time with the family in Disney World and that's all that matters.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to do the Xmas party on my arrival day. We don't buy park tickets that day and buy the party tickets instead. Even though it starts at 7pm, they let you in at 4pm and then you can have a "whole day" at Magic Kingdom on your travel day. The rides have short lines because everybody's doing the special Christmas shows, parades, and character greets. We catch a couple of those but mainly use the time for rides that whole evening.

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Xmas party a few years ago, but it wasn't during a regular WDW trip. We just stopped for a couple of days on our way down to see family. We enjoyed it and were glad we went. If we're ever in the same circumstances, we'd probably do it again, but would likely pass if it were a regular trip. I agree with what others have said. If you've done it several times, I don't think you'll regret taking a break from it.
    Susanne

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: