Quantcast Skipping Xmas party this time!?? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and the Xmas/Christmas thing... type whatever YOU want to type. Intercot is not the place to try to bully or shame others into conforming to what you want them to do.
    Susanne

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the party once back when it was (relatively) cheap. I thought the added entertainment was OK, but there was no wow factor at all. Decided the next day that it was a "one & done" for me. With today's pricing, I wouldn't even consider it, even if I'd never been before.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Going to the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party has always been a given for us. This year, after a three-year hiatus from Walt Disney World, we returned and naturally purchased tickets. Nearly $400 four the four of us. Ouch That's on top of the four 10-day, Water Park & More Hoppers.

We went in mid-September expecting light crowds. Sold out! Packed to the gills. Unenjoyable. These used to be great events where for a few extra dollars, you felt like you had an intimate evening in the Magic Kingdom with characters, shows, and events. This time, we felt like herded cattle.

Parades were six and eight people deep. Hocus Pocus Show (excellent) was shoulder to shoulder for every show until night's end.

It felt like an overt money grab. Contemplating not attending next time, as sad as that sounds.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

We've never done MVMCP, we did MNSSHP several years in a row but prices and crowds have drove us away. You used to be able to actually move around during the parties pretty good and for $40 bucks a head it was well worth it. Not anymore.

16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

I know it can feel weird not doing something that has been tradition but in this case I don't think it is worth it anymore. Just not unique enough. Cookies and hot chocolate are not a draw. Does anybody like the cookies?

I think weaning yourself this year might be a good idea. Do something else like maybe go visit the decorated hotels and have a nice meal instead. Watch the water parade in the evening and fireworks from off site. You may make a new tradition that is just as enjoyable. Make it into a quiet family evening that you really connect with one another.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

We are skipping it this time. Just too expensive, and you get to see the parade and fireworks after they stop running the parties anyway...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

MNSSHP I think is a better event than MVMCP... With all the XMas stuff going on in the world, I see no reason to drop that much cabbage on it. MNSSHP is really the only Halloween thing happening in the parks, which makes it a bit more "special". Still the prices they are asking now are just insanity!

As many have said, these are now more of a Been There, Done That, Not again event, but I wouldn't even put the XMas party there. Really not much of a reason to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to be honest - all of the special parties are starting to be a turn off for me. When in the past, it seemed they were crowd limited and you could have a good time and still get on attractions without crazy long lines - they now seem to be oversold. Last year when I brought my wife for the first time to MNSSHP she was extremely disappointed due to the size of the crowds. It was like being in the magic kingdom on some of it's most crowded day. Call me crazy, but I really think that if you only allow a reasonable number of people in - then it's more enjoyable for everyone. We stayed for the parade and fireworks and left immediately after. For us, it just didn't feel like we were getting our money's worth.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjstrike View Post
    We've never done MVMCP, we did MNSSHP several years in a row but prices and crowds have drove us away. You used to be able to actually move around during the parties pretty good and for $40 bucks a head it was well worth it. Not anymore.

+1 - This.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I have to be honest - all of the special parties are starting to be a turn off for me. When in the past, it seemed they were crowd limited and you could have a good time and still get on attractions without crazy long lines - they now seem to be oversold. Last year when I brought my wife for the first time to MNSSHP she was extremely disappointed due to the size of the crowds. It was like being in the magic kingdom on some of it's most crowded day. Call me crazy, but I really think that if you only allow a reasonable number of people in - then it's more enjoyable for everyone. We stayed for the parade and fireworks and left immediately after. For us, it just didn't feel like we were getting our money's worth.
    #yeahwhathesaid

Years ago we did MVMCP and we did enjoy it. BUT we've not been to any other park themed party. Would like to experience the Halloween stuff but we don't vaca that time of year.

Unfortunately with all the internet talk of over sold out parties - I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Shame...I think it started as a good thing and was toted to be unique. BUT now I doubt the extra fee is worth it due to just way too many people in the park.
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the biggest problem, the crowds. We would be willing to pay for the tickets if we knew attendance was limited enough for us to actually be able to participate in every aspect of it.

During the Halloween party, the lines for the villains were insane. We could have spent the whole party in lines, not managed to meet all the characters and not have gotten to do anything else. I told the girls to pick just one villain then we did other things. Lines for everything else were reasonable I thought. We walked on rides, the trick or treating was quick. Loved the parade! But, even the second one was packed with people. Loved the fireworks. For what you pay to get in though, Disney really needs to limit attendance.

Did the Xmas party just one year on our way down to see family. We enjoyed it, but I agree with others that it didn't have quite the same bang for the buck that the Halloween party does. The parade was cute, we were able to get on rides and see some characters. Didn't bother with the hot chocolate and cookies lines, they were way too long. I couldn't believe people would wait that long for them when there was so much else to do.

I know I've already said this, but if Disney would limit the attendance on these parties to a reasonable level, they would certainly be worth it.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    That's the biggest problem, the crowds. We would be willing to pay for the tickets if we knew attendance was limited enough for us to actually be able to participate in every aspect of it....

....I know I've already said this, but if Disney would limit the attendance on these parties to a reasonable level, they would certainly be worth it.
    Until TDO changes their profit-driven attitude, the parties will continue to be overpriced, oversold & crowded. Think about it - they have the regular day Guest crowd all during the day, then it's Party Time, and everyone gets to pay again for access to the party, effectively doubling their gate revenue for that day.

I can see the accountant's eyes glazing over with delight...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    Until TDO changes their profit-driven attitude, the parties will continue to be overpriced, oversold & crowded. Think about it - they have the regular day Guest crowd all during the day, then it's Party Time, and everyone gets to pay again for access to the party, effectively doubling their gate revenue for that day.

I can see the accountant's eyes glazing over with delight...
    If you have people clamoring for the product, as the crowds at these events would indicate, they will see no reason to change.

I went to MNSSHP in 2007 (I think, or maybe 2008) and enjoyed it, but it was a one and done for me back then, even when attendance was limited. I am not a big Halloween person, though, as I do not like scary or horror movies (as an example, I have no desire to watch the Walking Dead). As many have said, I would save the money on the Christmas party and just enjoy a meal at one of the resorts that are beautifully decorated for Christmas, like the Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I know. Limiting attendance would only take money out of their pockets given how popular these parties are. It would just be nice if they considered it only for the sake of improving the guest's experience.
    Susanne

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I know. Limiting attendance would only take money out of their pockets given how popular these parties are. It would just be nice if they considered it only for the sake of improving the guest's experience.
    Exactly my point. Sure, you reap short-term profits, but long-term Guest satisfaction (which would generate LOTS more $) suffers - as evidenced by many of the previous posts. Management used to understand this, but they're now stuck with the "what's my quarterly bottom line look like" mentality. I believe there is a need for some serious rethinking along these lines.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: