Quantcast Three Possible Side Effects of Ticket Price Change

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Three Possible Side Effects of Ticket Price Change

Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What about those with premium AP? My guess is a price hike for those as well.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Sounds like they are trying to follow their resort pricing now.

It looks incredibly stupid! If you go for two weeks what the heck are you supposed to buy? If I have to get a Silver ticket for the whole time then what's in it for me on the Bronze days? Or do I have to buy a half dozen tickets now for one trip? And I'm sure they will expire left, right and centre. Good luck keeping that on your band and being able to link up dining or FP ressies to that mess!

Color me unimpressed. Really - how much harder are they going to try to stop folks from going? Keep it up Disney - I've already got one foot out the door . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the way they do annual passes at Disneyland. If you have a premium pass, no blackout dates. If you have a deluxe with blackout dates and you want to go to the park during a blackout time, then you have to buy a day pass. I really don't see this working with once-in-a-lifetime vacationers.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

I know corporate Disney doesn't care one iota about me, but they've lost me. If there were any doubts in my mind about my disappointment in the direction WDW has been taking in the past few years, this seals it.

My first visit to WDW was in 1999. Over the last 15 years my family and I visited 10 times - always at a deluxe and never for less than 5 days. The last trip (in 2013) was the only disappointing one for a variety of reasons mostly revolving around the quality of the experience. The magic is gone and I'm just not willing to pay premium prices for anything less than a magical experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine for our family and likely most others, this means "gold" days will be spent at Universal or Sea World or poolside.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

For annual passes this makes sense... For regular passes... Huh? I hope they aren't serious.

Its already incredibly complicated for the average person - this would only compound things.

Stop the madness.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

As Dobby2010 indicated, it would send them to an off site venue or time away from the parks. This would mean less money spent at Disney. This alone should steer the bean counters away from this idea for regular passes.
    #runICOT rocks!
    6 years Disney running!
    14 5Ks
    13 10Ks
    16 Half Marathons
    5 Coast to Coast
    Just Finished: WDW 5K 10K
    Up Next: SW Light Side (Virtual Half) Dark Side (Half) Kessel Run Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

The chart seems super complicated to me and I agree it would make people less likely to buy the gold days unless they had no choice. I do suppose it would make it a benefit to buy a whole Disney vacation package if the ticket always automatically matched your days.

Though it is interesting to note that both Universal and Disney do something similar with Florida resident multi day tickets.

At WDW there are 3 different special Florida resident tickets (excluding annual passes) that have block out dates. These are 3 and 4 day passes. If a Florida resident wants to go during the block out periods, the option is to get a one day Florida resident pass, an annual pass or change to a non resident multi pass.

The gold days are similar to the FL resident block outs. In 2015, the 3 & 4 days resident tickets blocked out March 28- April 10, June 6- Aug 13, and Dec 17-Dec 31.

Universal is similar. There is a single day pass good at any time but the multi day passes block out the summer and I think Christmas. There is also a full annual passes and a seasonal annual passes.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that is just WAY too complicated. I asume the way you would have to get around different color days within one vacation would be to buy Gold tickets for your length of stay. Now, if it ends up being a system whereby this only applies to one day tickets, that is fine. Or, if you do multi days and you are automatically charged the correct price for your length of stay based on the corresponding ticket types. If the calculations are automatic and the guests don't have to figure it out, that is one thing. I assume the next step is they will stop the sale of multi day tickets in advance, and will only allow them to be purchased in conjunction with vacation packages, or onsite when you know the exact dates of your visit.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable, if true. Just. Unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

So, if they implement this, you will have to purchase tickets not only based on the number of days, but also on the calendar days AND how many and which days will be spent in the Magic Kingdom.

I typically do a 7 - 10 day trip in early December (all SILVER, so that makes it a bit simpler) so I would have to set my MK days in stone before I even BOUGHT tickets.

I just came off a 6 day trip (April 30 - May 5) which would have been all in BRONZE, so same deal as above - which day(s) are MK days?

Now, let's get into some extreme weirdness....A 7 day trip from Wed. Jan 14 - Tues. Jan. 20....Jan 14, 15 & 20 are BRONZE days; Jan 16 is SILVER and Jan 17 - 19 are GOLD...What do you do here? Make MK days the BRONZE days? This would make "OTHER" park days the same price or even more expensive than MK days. What happens if plans change and a day you scheduled for MK was spent elsewhere and you are left without a "proper" ticket for MK on a different day? Are you shut out, or just have to upgrade your ticket on that day?

Way too confusing. I see a LOT of disgruntled visitors if this EVER comes into play.

Annual passes would also be tiered? Three different APs - Bronze, Silver and Gold - with the corresponding blackout dates? I would guess there would also be Premium versions of each to add Water Parks? And maybe ULTIMATE versions to add DisneyLand?

I was OK with room pricing changes based on the day. I understand certain days, weekends and holidays primarily, are more popular and they can charge a premium. I am even OK with FP+. For all its perceived flaws, there are still some major benefits to it. BUT, this "New moon on Monday in the third month of the seventh year of the first decade of the Age of Aquarius" park ticket pricing is just wrong on all levels. Nothing more than a money grab with no thoughts to the implications for the visitor.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Sort of what many (if not most) snowsports areas have been doing for decades. Weekends and holidays are higher day rates than midweek non-holiday. If you book a vacation period during the higher rate days... or days that overlap different rate days....... the systems are set up to just calculate the correct pricing.

M-F midweek in January...... cheapest. Any average weekend... more. Christmas week weekend.... priceless.

Supply and demand.

best,

............john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post

At WDW there are 3 different special Florida resident tickets (excluding annual passes) that have block out dates..
    I agree. It sounds just like the FL resident pass options.

This strikes me in a super negative way. I'm extremely ticked off by this potential reality. And I'm a FL resident with a pass, so I'm least effected...for now.

I just read a thread where someone was making FP+ options at 12:00AM midnight for their upcoming trip. MIDNIGHT! This is what planning a Disney vacation has come to?

Not that anyone but me cares, but I don't try to make spontaneous day trips anymore. And it's not because I'm afraid I won't get to ride my favorite ride. As a pass holder, I no longer feel frantic to make that a reality. One time I spent 80min in line to ride TSM. I wasn't stressed doing it because I'm a pass holder and I knew I had an entire year to ride everything else. But now, because I spend so much time strategically planning our annual trip and little trips here and there, I've become exhausted. In fact, my little trips here and there have already scaled back.

Or maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Or maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.
    Then I must have as well.

Post Thanks / Like

This reads to me like a trial balloon to see how people react to it. This will not be the final answer to whatever question they have in their minds. I think the first thing they will implement is a tiered system with the level of resort and your park experience. More perks for the higher level of resort one is staying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    This reads to me like a trial balloon to see how people react to it. This will not be the final answer to whatever question they have in their minds. I think the first thing they will implement is a tiered system with the level of resort and your park experience. More perks for the higher level of resort one is staying.
    Agree!! Over the last quarter century I've been asked dozens of questions in Disney surveys about new ideas and very few have become reality. Just because they ask something in a survey does not mean it's imminent or even seriously considering. Disney surveys constantly about everything and simply because they put it in a survey doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Might they do this, sure anything is possible, but experience says wait for something official before getting too excited.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my word....way too confusing.

I usually book a package, I guess that is a plus for me. Just tell me how much. There is no savings

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I think for the multi-day tickets this would be a real pain in the {censored}.

However, I could see this working really well for single day tickets. And don't they already do something similar for season passes? I could have sworn my Aunt had passes that were good for week days only.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about this, the more I think it HAD to have been in reference to single day tickets. This kind of scheme just wouldn't work at a place that offers multi day tickets at a discount over the cost of the individual days.

And I agree about the survey thing. I have taken some VERY strange Disney Parks surveys over the years that never came to fruition.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: