Quantcast Magic of Disney Animation closing? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Not happy with this closing AT ALL!

It was heartbreaking when they got rid of the animators, but then to close it all down is terrible. It was one of the few places that true Disney Magic still existed(barely). It all started with animation!

I am beyond disgusted with Disney exec's and, you know, it's not all about the rides and Frozen(which by the way, is ANIMATION!)

Yet another downhill slide . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Rumor is the Animation Academy will open elsewhere. I hope that's true. What a gem!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    If this is true, it's not acceptable. Disney projects take far too long and in the end never seem to have the "wow" factor anymore. That park (with EPCOT not far behind) is a skeleton of what it once was. I won't spend any more money or time at DHS until they add more attractions.
    When you look at their build out timelines, it takes them forever and a day to build... No work has started on any Star Wars land... And probably won't until next year... Under their timeline, Star Wars won't open until 2020/2021... MAYBE...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    Well, I read on another site that Bob Iger and the Board of Directors were in Orlando this past week. It is rumored that they approved a large budget (billions) to redo HS. No details about what exactly will be done, but rumors suggest something with Pixar and Star Wars. Hopefully this is true.
    They were in Orlando... They did approve plans and a budget... Now which plans is anyones' guess... And how much gets changed, altered, removed, added is also unknown... The budget has been rumored to be greater than DCA's budget, but no one knows the real amount, or at least won't (or more than likely can't) say... We'll know when Disney makes an official announcement... People think D23 in August, guess we'll see...

But some of the approved budget is also for Epcot and other areas of WDW... They want to freshen the place up for the 50th...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Man, "another one bites the dust."

I am cautiously optimistic though. They have closed pretty much everything to do in that park. Why would you do that unless you have earmarked that space for future expansion. The backlot tour, One Mans Dream, and the art of Animation are all right next to one another bridged by Toy Story. Could that be where a true Pixar Place ends up?

So like I said, cautiously optimistic with all these closing that HS is getting the major overhaul it needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Orlando Sentinel confirms as well:

Another attraction is closing at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park. The last day for the Magic of Disney Animation will be July 12, Disney confirmed Monday..

"Work is underway on a new experience, and we look forward to sharing more information in the future," a Disney World spokeswoman said.

The adjacent Animation Gallery will remain open until late August.

The area is one of the original attractions when the park opened under the name Disney-MGM Studios in 1989. One of its features was the ability for guests to spy on actual Disney animators at work. The attraction now includes a short film about how Disney characters are made; Animation Station, where character-driven art lessions are given; and a character greeting area.

The closure is the latest in a series of recent departures at Hollywood Studios. Gone are the Studios Backlot Tour and American Idol Experience. Earlier this year, Disney removed the large sorcerer's hat that had become the icon of the park.

In March, Disney CEO Bob Iger told shareholders that the park would undergo another name change, although the new moniker has not been announced. It started going by the Hollywood Studios name in 2008.

Disney has said it will build more Star Wars attractions at its parks, and Hollywood Studios is usually listed as a natural choice because of its current ties to the franchise, including the Star Tours ride and the Star Wars Weekends events.

Copyright © 2015, Orlando Sentinel

This makes me really sad. We always enjoyed our time there, and I know Disney is planning to re-vamp the park, but they need to start building and updating, not just closing things with future promises!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Rumor is the Animation Academy will open elsewhere. I hope that's true. What a gem!
    Keeping my fingers crossed!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poor Old Disney MGM Hollywood One of These Days Studios

Did anyone else think Disaster Canyon was the highlight of the backlot tour? On the other hand, can't we see one update scene in the Great Movie Ride?... I mean how many Disney kids recognize anything except The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins?

Magic of Disney Animation was interesting and real an "live" - at least it used to be.

Here's an idea from a fan - (like anyone would ever care): The attraction could have shown an artist coloring a cell like 1939 while another renders a character on a modern workstation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    They were in Orlando... They did approve plans and a budget... Now which plans is anyones' guess... And how much gets changed, altered, removed, added is also unknown... The budget has been rumored to be greater than DCA's budget, but no one knows the real amount, or at least won't (or more than likely can't) say... We'll know when Disney makes an official announcement... People think D23 in August, guess we'll see...

But some of the approved budget is also for Epcot and other areas of WDW... They want to freshen the place up for the 50th...
    Well, I hoped they toured Universal while in Orlando so they can see how it is done right.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Here's an idea from a fan - (like anyone would ever care): The attraction could have shown an artist coloring a cell like 1939 while another renders a character on a modern workstation.
    I said the same thing several times. If they reopen Animation elsewhere with actual animation going on I will be thrilled! As it exists now, the only thing I would miss is the Animation Academy, and funny enough, the gift shop! Lots for fun stuff to see there.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Darn!! The animation academy was on my list! We missed it our first trip and I reaaaalllly wanted to try it this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff in the gift shop. But the prices are .
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Well, I hoped they toured Universal while in Orlando so they can see how it is done right.
    There was a picture posted of Staggs walking out of a store in Hogsmeade... Don't know if it was recent or not... But Staggs has been there before, as have Universal Creatives and park managers toured the new Fantasyland area...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    There was a picture posted of Staggs walking out of a store in Hogsmeade... Don't know if it was recent or not... But Staggs has been there before, as have Universal Creatives and park managers toured the new Fantasyland area...
    I would hope it was real. How else would you see what the competition was up to? Gotta go experience it.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: