Quantcast Please help! Alternative to WL at Christmas

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help! Alternative to WL at Christmas

So I had booked our first ever (and possibly only) Christmas stay at the WL for this year, but have just had an email detailing the construction work. We're staying for a week, and will probably be spending a lot of the time at the resort, with the parks being so busy.

We really love the traditional decorations and cosy feel- With this in mind which other hotel would you choose? We're considering AKL or Yacht/Beach Club (Poly/GF/Contemporary are pretty much out of our price range).

Where would you choose?
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!
    15- Christmas atGrand Floridian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are just staying at the Lodge, I wouldn't move. Only thing that will affect you is no beach (can't swim in that water anyway), no playground or bike rental. From the Lodge you probably won't see any construction unless you are facing the DVC units. IF you are staying at the DVC, you won't get a different reservation. AKL a will be decorated nicely, IMO better than YC/BC, But YC/BC have the advantage of being close to EPCOT and the Studios.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    If you are just staying at the Lodge, I wouldn't move. Only thing that will affect you is no beach (can't swim in that water anyway), no playground or bike rental. From the Lodge you probably won't see any construction unless you are facing the DVC units. IF you are staying at the DVC, you won't get a different reservation. AKL a will be decorated nicely, IMO better than YC/BC, But YC/BC have the advantage of being close to EPCOT and the Studios.
    Thanks, we are staying at the actual lodge not dvc and it does sound like the lobby etc will all be completely uneffected so that does make me feel better. My main concern really is the noise from drilling etc, my stepson is autistic and needs a quiet place to escape to during the day after the madness of the parks.

Was anybody there during the pool refurb last year and could tell me how bad it gets?
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmm

Well I'll be honest. Last Fall when I was there it was loud, BUT they were jackhammering the pool? I don't think anything like that will be going on. Honestly I'd probably stay as well. AKL is so far away from everything and YC/BC will probably cost you a god bit more?
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the speed they work at and where there starting there may very well be jackhammering going on. From the markings I saw at the end of May they will be taking out the entire quiet pool, decking, and walkways surrounding the area. It's also my understanding from speaking with people during our visit there will be a lot of trees taken down which could also affect your son.

I would call them, explain your situation, and see if they will move you at their expense. They've been moving people for earlier reservations so it's worth a try.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Animal Kingdom has a similar feel to WL at Christmas due to the style of the building and the huge tree.

All of the Epcot resorts are beautiful at Christmas. Yacht usually has the train display. Beach the gingerbread carousel and Boardwalk the gingerbread house with Stitch. My favorite Epcot resort is Yacht Club but I am slightly more partial to the decorations at Boardwalk Inn at the holidays. A plus to the Epcot resorts is that you can easily walk around the lake and enjoy them all.

My best suggestion is to search for Christmas decoration pictures and see which resort appeals to you the most.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    All of the Epcot resorts are beautiful at Christmas. Yacht usually has the train display. Beach the gingerbread carousel and Boardwalk the gingerbread house with Stitch.
    I have to say, I was quite disappointed when we checked out the Boardwalk during Christmas of 2013 and found NO Stitch anywhere in/on/around the gingerbread house.

Hopefully he's back this year!!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

If quite is what you are wanting then I would go with AKL. I have stayed at all of the deluxe resorts, (with the exception of The Contemporary), and that has become one of my favorites. Part of the reason I like it so much is because of how peaceful it is. I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and I always get a good nights rest at that resort.

It also helps that the resort is beautiful, and has some of the best restaurants on property.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with VWL Mom...Call and explain the medical issue & your child - and ask them to relocate you unless they can guarantee you the quiet needed. Just have a 1st & 2nd choice for relocation. IMO I would tell them that if it wasn't for the medical issues you would have no problem with the construction - basically kill them with kindness & ask specifically for some Disney Magic for your child.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    I agree with VWL Mom...Call and explain the medical issue & your child - and ask them to relocate you unless they can guarantee you the quiet needed. Just have a 1st & 2nd choice for relocation. IMO I would tell them that if it wasn't for the medical issues you would have no problem with the construction - basically kill them with kindness & ask specifically for some Disney Magic for your child.
    I totally agree with this. They should bend over backwards to accommodate you under the circumstances. The Lodge should be ok but I don't think I would want to chance it especially if they notified you of the construction. Let us know how you make out. Good luck, Christmas is an awesome time to go!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Post Thanks / Like

As usual, thank you all so much! Lots of helpful tips and recommendations as usual!

I'll give Disney a call and be extra nice and explain the situation and hopefully they'll be able to sort something out/ advise if we'll be ok staying where are! It's such a shame, we actually booked this hotel last September, and have been looking forward to it so much, but I suppose these changes need to be made to ensure we keep returning! I'm sure we'll have a brilliant time anyway- very excited
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to quickly update after all your help: our travel agent has managed to arrange us 2 rooms at the grand floridian with some extra cost, but no where near as much as we expected to pay! We're so happy with this, I doubt we'd have ever been able to stay here under normal circumstances and it's going to make our trip even more amazing! Just need to get started on researching everything about the hotel now! Thanks again
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you have found an alternative that will work for you & your family. It is a beautiful resort. Do not forget to check out Wishes and the Electrical Water Pageant from the resort - amazing. The boat launch & monorail are easy transportation options for you. We always find the boat ride to be relaxing. Food options at the GF and at the very close Polynesian are also top notch. If you have any specific questions I would suggest posting them & I am sure someone here will have the answers. Glad the Disney magic is already working for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deedee73 View Post
    So glad you have found an alternative that will work for you & your family. It is a beautiful resort. Do not forget to check out Wishes and the Electrical Water Pageant from the resort - amazing. The boat launch & monorail are easy transportation options for you. We always find the boat ride to be relaxing. Food options at the GF and at the very close Polynesian are also top notch. If you have any specific questions I would suggest posting them & I am sure someone here will have the answers. Glad the Disney magic is already working for you.
    Thank you so much! We'll definitely be checking out wishes from there, we're just so lucky! Even my partner who refuses to get excited until we're actually on the plane is over the moon, he's actually showing everyone pictures of how beautiful it is. I've read some really good reviews of some of the restaurants and I've booked Christmas breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe, and dinner at Ohana
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!

Post Thanks / Like

You will love Ohana. It is one of our absolute favs. Checkout Kona for a great bfast too. And don't forget 1900 Park Fare serves bfast & dinner (both characters). The 1900 bfast is one of the most diverse bfast buffets that I have eaten at and it has a waffle station with tons of toppings as well as an egg station. Can't go wrong with a mickey waffle.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually booked 1900 park fare for one of our breakfasts but I need to check with my stepson if he's happy with the characters- with his autism he's fine with the characters in a costume but gets very shy around the "normal" characters. I've booked it for our last morning so can cancel if need be. And I've heard all good things about the Tonga toast at Kona Cafe!
    94- Offsite
    98- ASMu
    00- Offsite
    04- DLR
    06- Offsite
    08- Offsite
    11- ASMU
    12- Disneyland Paris DCR
    13- August Offsite + AKL
    14- March POFQ!

Share This Thread On Social Media: