Quantcast Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Uh, a LOT of things will have to close for all these new additions.
    Well, it better not include MuppetVision and Indiana Jones
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that both these new attractions are going to be like Star Tours?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I hope they wouldn't be foolish enough to replicate Mission: Space. The $100 million attraction with the five minute wait time?
    You wouldn't think they would do that and hopefully they build real rides not simulators. We can't even ride Star Tours because it gives us motion sickness.

I would think they would probably build a brand new real deal motion attraction and probably wouldn't be surprised if they build a new upgraded Star Tours type simulator.

Regardless, this is good news for Hollywood Studios and opens up an entirely new avenue for future attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    It is amazing that with an announcement with the potential scope of this one (and all the other pieces), that the negativity just keeps get ting piled on before the dust even settles from the announcement.

Personally, I am just going to wait and see what might turn out to be a great thing. Right now no one knows what it will turn out to be.

best,

..................john
    I have read the thread 3 times and the only negativity I see is someone complaining about what they perceive as negativity.

What I see is a discussion and people voicing their concerns and opinions which is exactly what discussion forums are all about. If we all wore rose colored glasses and posted nothing but yippee and kudos, these forums wouldn't last long because they would be completely boring. Besides that, everyone voicing their opinions and concerns does impact decision making and future products.........it is called "feedback."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
    It is amazing that with an announcement with the potential scope of this one (and all the other pieces), that the negativity just keeps get ting piled on before the dust even settles from the announcement.

Personally, I am just going to wait and see what might turn out to be a great thing. Right now no one knows what it will turn out to be.

best,

..................john
    Without discussion and disagreement, forums and life for that matter would be awfully boring. People can express opinions based on the limited information so far and they also can evolve over time.

Those opinions are often based in some degree of fact or life experience - which makes them completely valid.

Me, I'm mixed with both positive and negative given the Star Wars and Toy Story Lands announcement. Some of it looks cool, some of it looks like the bean counters won out.

In the end, some of us will be proved wrong, some right - and along the way, we'll enjoy discussing the future of what most consider our favorite vacation spot.

As we say on the podcast - We Crank Because We Care.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I would probably get ready to say goodbye to both of those. Logistically, it will be hard to keep Muppets given its proximity to Star Tours and the rumors of Streets of America going away. Maybe Muppets will be relocated? I think the stunt show is a goner, though.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I would probably get ready to say goodbye to both of those. Logistically, it will be hard to keep Muppets given its proximity to Star Tours and the rumors of Streets of America going away. Maybe Muppets will be relocated? I think the stunt show is a goner, though.
    Actually, now that you mention it - the whole lack of Indiana Jones attraction coming to the east coast is a major downer. Combine that with Star Wars and Toy Story Land and you would have had one killer announcement.

Totally forgot about that.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat
    I am a Star Wars fan, but my love for the Muppets is a lot closer to fanaticism. I do not doubt that trading Muppets for Star Wars is good for business, but it would be bad for me. It would require the Star Wars stuff be more than simply there, it had better wow me to the point that I don't miss the Muppets.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Actually, now that you mention it - the whole lack of Indiana Jones attraction coming to the east coast is a major downer. Combine that with Star Wars and Toy Story Land and you would have had one killer announcement.

Totally forgot about that.
    I like Indiana Jones about as much as Star Wars, to be honest, so including something NEW (like a SEQUEL to the Disneyland attraction) would've been pretty interesting for me. I am not actually surprised nothing was announced, as I have long had the feeling it is viewed as a throw-in w/ regards to the Lucas acquisition.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Muppets but MuppetVision is about 15 to 20 years overdue for an update.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Love the Muppets but MuppetVision is about 15 to 20 years overdue for an update.
    I totally agree. Frankly, I find that attraction to be terribly dated and boring. I am not a huge Muppets fan, I guess, but they could do SO much better than that.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not thrilled

I know I'll be in the minority here, but it seems to me that after these 2 additions there will actually be less to do than more. Here's why. They are removing a variety of things from different titles to make room for 2. If you are not into Star Wars or have kids that might like a Toy Story kiddie coaster, then it's business as usual at the studios. Still will be a half day park for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call the Slinky Dog coaster a kiddie coaster. They said family coaster, which to me puts it on the level of space, big thunder, and 7DMT.

And why do you need to be a fan of the movies to enjoy the rides? I had never read a Harry Potter book, nor seen a single movie, but still had a blast at the original Wizarding World. Why? Because the rides were created in a way that told me all I needed to know about the story to enjoy the rides.

Point being, if the imagineers tell the story through the queue, and preshow then you don't need to be a fan of the source material to enjoy the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

lol. I knew I'd be in the minority, but my real point was there used to be a larger range of topics that you could choose from in the park. especially if they remove Muppets, and Indy, Little Mermaid etc. all to be replaced with just 2 film franchises. Either Star Wars or Toy Story. Its hard for me to explain. Someone out there might feel the same as me. Like I said, for me especially through the years of coming construction it will defiantly remain a half day park.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, not very excited with the lack of any Indy news. We already new StarWars land was probable, Toy Story was an interesting surprise though.
    Caribbean Beach '91
    Dixie Landings '96
    Coronado Springs '11
    Kidani Village '15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acetate View Post
    lol. I knew I'd be in the minority, but my real point was there used to be a larger range of topics that you could choose from in the park. especially if they remove Muppets, and Indy, Little Mermaid etc. all to be replaced with just 2 film franchises. Either Star Wars or Toy Story. Its hard for me to explain. Someone out there might feel the same as me. Like I said, for me especially through the years of coming construction it will defiantly remain a half day park.
    You make a good point. For some people, the Star Wars stuff will be like the Harry Potter stuff and they will pay $100 a day just to hang out in it. Unless it is truly legendary, I can't imagine doing more than passing through it like I do the rest of WDW (and Universal for that matter).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    You make a good point. For some people, the Star Wars stuff will be like the Harry Potter stuff and they will pay $100 a day just to hang out in it. Unless it is truly legendary, I can't imagine doing more than passing through it like I do the rest of WDW (and Universal for that matter).
    I was listening to my local news this morning (ABC out of Philly) and as part of what must have been an entertainment feature they gave a quick synopsis of the upcoming Rouge One film. I found it interesting that they mentioned that it was about a group that came together to steal the secret Death Star plans. I suppose what was interesting to me was that they mention it as if it is common knowledge that everyone knows what the Death Star is (or was) and about the stolen plans.

Disney has given Star Wars a new lease on life. It will be interesting to see where Universal and Disney take their franchises in the next 10 to 20 years. Does Harry Potter have legs? I know they've announced a new companion series (Fantastic Beasts), but what's after that? Star Wars has a well developed story line to draw from. Is J.K. Rowling pushing the Harry Potter universe?

I guess the point is that like Mickey Mouse, Star Wars has, to a fairly good extent, become ingrained in our society. Will anyone be referencing Quidditch or Hogwarts 20 years from now?
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, certainly welcome any new attractions being added to Walt Disney World....but....Why does it take so long for the Disney organization to implement anything but overlay's or meet and greets?! CNBC reported today that construction on the Star Wars attractions will begin in late 2017!
    We are not going to see any of this until 2020, come on Disney, I'm not getting any younger......
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know...I love it the way it is (I think the current show is really cute)
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

On the whole I am pretty excited for this; that being said I was also hoping for an Indy ride and maybe a little bit more "there" there, but two new rides and the Mos Eisley Cantina and a richly themed land make me pretty darn happy. And at first I was disappointed that both coasts were getting it, but I can see the point about alleviating the crowds. I think it will be a huge draw. Now start building already!

I don't know...I love it the way it is (I think the current show is really cute)
    I'm with you. Anyone who has been on these boards for a length of time will know I'm an unabashed Muppet lover, and I do have a sentimental attachment to this attraction as along side the tv Special Muppets in Walt Disney World, it was the last thing Jim Henson worked on, but even taking a step back I don't really see it being any more outdated than some of the 3D other shows. The pre-show in particular still cracks me up every time. Waldo has gotten a little old but there is so much of that movie that is not only classic Muppets, but classic Disney World to me(Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic). I hope they re-home it if it has to move from it's current location
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I'm with you. Anyone who has been on these boards for a length of time will know I'm an unabashed Muppet lover, and I do have a sentimental attachment to this attraction as along side the tv Special Muppets in Walt Disney World, it was the last thing Jim Henson worked on, but even taking a step back I don't really see it being any more outdated than some of the 3D other shows. The pre-show in particular still cracks me up every time. Waldo has gotten a little old but there is so much of that movie that is not only classic Muppets, but classic Disney World to me(Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic). I hope they re-home it if it has to move from it's current location
    I totally agree with you. I'm another long-time fan of all things Muppets, including TV shows, movies, music, and especially, Muppet Vision 3D, for many reasons that I prefer not to go into here. Of all of my many favorite attractions that are already closed or about to be closed, closure of this attraction would be the saddest one of all. I hope cooler heads prevail and that the Muppets will live on in a nice new home in WDW.

I'm planning to see this show a number of times during my upcoming trip.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has given Star Wars a new lease on life. It will be interesting to see where Universal and Disney take their franchises in the next 10 to 20 years. Does Harry Potter have legs? I know they've announced a new companion series (Fantastic Beasts), but what's after that? Star Wars has a well developed story line to draw from. Is J.K. Rowling pushing the Harry Potter universe?
    Does Harry Potter have legs? Yes... What's after that? More Potter... I'm sure JK isn't done with the series... She has said, several times in the past, she is very interested in how the children of Harry, Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, and Draco all turn out...

She also recently wrote a play about Harry Potter before Hogwarts... not sure if the play has opened yet on London or not... I'm not into plays, so I haven't been following...

I guess the point is that like Mickey Mouse, Star Wars has, to a fairly good extent, become ingrained in our society. Will anyone be referencing Quidditch or Hogwarts 20 years from now?
    Yes, people will be referencing Quidditch and Hogwarts 20 years from know... The people who grew up on harry Potter are having their own children and are passing the books down to their children, taking them to Universal to visit Hogwarts, Hogmeade, and Diagon Alley... Those kids will bring their kids, and they will bring their kids...

And let's not forget, while the franchise IP helps, as long as the rides are awesome and the lands are excellent, people will come... Think 99% of the people who ride Splash Mountain have ever heard of Song of the South? Doubtful... But that ride pulls huge lines cause it is one heck of a great attraction...

The question you should be asking is: will anyone remember Avatar 20 years from now? I venture to say nope cause no one remembers is now, and it's only been what, 6 years since the movie came out?
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think one unique aspect of Harry Potter that Star Wars lacks, as far as theme parks go, is the amount of successful merchandise that can be created that is authentic to the "world". Now, Star Wars has, obviously, been a merchandise cash cow over the decades. But if these Star Wars lands are to be authentic and meant to " put you in the SW universe", I wonder what kind of merchandise the shops could realistically offer? The beauty of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are that the shops existed in the books, and they sell the same things the characters bought in the books. It was easy to recreate that. It won't make much sense for the shops in Star Wars land to sell action figures, t shirts, wookie mugs, etc. That is going to present a challenge. I hope SW land is more attraction/experience centric rather than full of shops.
    Natalie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: