Quantcast Toy Story Land To Come To Life At Disney’s Hollywood Studios

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toy Story Land To Come To Life At Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek just unveiled plans for Toy Story Land, to be built at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort. The new land, inspired by the “Toy Story” film franchise, will allow guests to shrink to the size of a toy and explore the world of Andy’s backyard.

According to Imagineer Kathy Mangum, Toy Story Land was inspired by the overwhelming guest response to Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park at the Disneyland Resort.

“As all of you know, here in Anaheim, we’ve been quite successful with taking immersive experiences to a whole new level as we did with Cars Land. In fact, one of our favorite stories from opening day is that we overheard a little boy asking his mom, ‘Is this where they filmed the Cars movie?'” Kathy said. “That’s exactly how we want people to feel – like they’ve stepped onto the set of their favorite film … like the quaint town of Radiator Springs or, in the case of ‘Toy Story,’ the wild and adventurous outdoors of Andy’s backyard.”

When Toy Story Land opens at the park, guests will be able to play with some of their favorite toys at two new attractions that will be unique to the Walt Disney World Resort, plus one expanded favorite:

Family-friendly roller coaster – Guests board Slinky Dog’s back for a thrilling toy-filled coaster adventure that’s ideal for the entire family.

Alien saucers attraction – The famous little green aliens from the movie will take guests around for a spin in their very own flying saucers – but beware The Claw!

Toy Story Mania! – This current guest-favorite attraction, which allows guests to take aim at 3D objects in into the Toy Story Midway Games Play Set, will expand with more midway track that takes you into the world under Andy’s bed where he’s built a carnival-style midway.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by John; 08-16-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

On paper, DHS looks like it might someday be worth the price of admission.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

On paper, DHS looks like it might someday be worth the price of admission.
    Ok, so I'm excited about Star Wars Land - this, not so sure about. On paper it looks like another toon town land. One family coaster is the new attraction along with a spinning saucer ride? Disneyland gets Radiator Springs racers, Disney World gets an off the shelf themed coaster?

Like I said - hopefully when the details are announced in greater detail - I'll be wowed.

Fingers crossed. I wish they had gone with the Pixar Place idea and tapped the wide variety of the movies to date. I do understand wanting to go further in depth so you can explore the detail from an Imagineering standpoint - but Andy's Backyard?

Anyway - to be clear, I'm glad they are spending the money and remaking the park. It's overdue. Here's hoping Epcot is next on the list because by the time this is completed (I didn't see any dates announced but one would guess 2018-19-ish) - some love will sorely be needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Toy Story land gets HUGE thumbs up from my kids (who are 9 and 11 year old boys--non thrill ride types). Let's remember how left out kids have been from DHS for a LONG time now.

This land seems like a much more elaborate version of Bugs Land at DCA, which is themed very well. We still go there and ride those rides often.

I like that there is a coaster here, as 7DMT has proven to be VERY popular so I expect this one to be similarly so. And the spinner ride may look simple but sometimes those rides are the most fun.

Star Wars land, frankly, does not appear to be young child friendly, so this land is just what DHS needed.

I have a feeling that even in 2-3 years time, my boys will still be excited to ride slinky dog and dodge "the claw". Toy Story is a timeless classic, and the perfect choice to build a land for.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

This plus the other has the potential to be really good and make the park worth a visit beyond "something else to do." They aren't dramatically plussing this out, but it has to be better than what is happening today...doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    This plus the other has the potential to be really good and make the park worth a visit beyond "something else to do." They aren't dramatically plussing this out, but it has to be better than what is happening today...doesn't it?
    Oh absolutely. Anything to make the park better and more immersive is greatly needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Well, Toy Story land gets HUGE thumbs up from my kids (who are 9 and 11 year old boys--non thrill ride types). Let's remember how left out kids have been from DHS for a LONG time now.

. . .

I have a feeling that even in 2-3 years time, my boys will still be excited to ride slinky dog and dodge "the claw". Toy Story is a timeless classic, and the perfect choice to build a land for.
    I feel similarly, Natalie. I really like the Bug World's section at Disneyland and the Toy Story series is a much more popular Pixar property. I think this will be very popular.

The coaster appears to be super cute and I'm sure the theming of the whole area will be fantastic.

Though I would have liked to see some other movies (Monster's Inc), I think this might be a good decision. One of the big complaints on DHS is how disjointed it feels and having clearly themed areas will help.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Here's hoping Epcot is next on the list because by the time this is completed (I didn't see any dates announced but one would guess 2018-19-ish) - some love will sorely be needed.
    I forgot to respond to this. I hope Epcot is on the list, but only if they really want to get it right. By right, I mean something that feels it is in line with the intentions of the park and not simply something that the masses will queue up for. If my choices were between a withering Epcot or Magic Kingdom #2 ("MK with a big golf ball"), I think I might choose the former.

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't everything that is coming, just the first wave. Ready to ride Slinky Dog! Yahoo!
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Another ride would have been the clincher for this land... And it's a good thing they didn't go with the other versions of Toy Story Land(Playland)... Would have looked like garbage... And i know most of us want to hear about big thrilling E tickets.. Truth is, DHS does not need thrilled E tickets... a few family friendly C's and D's are fine... DHS needed what is coming...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Another ride would have been the clincher for this land... And it's a good thing they didn't go with the other versions of Toy Story Land(Playland)... Would have looked like garbage... And i know most of us want to hear about big thrilling E tickets.. Truth is, DHS does not need thrilled E tickets... a few family friendly C's and D's are fine... DHS needed what is coming...
    I totally agree.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Plus, we'll be getting the big E ticket with Star Wars... I'd rather a Star Wars E ticket than a Toy Story E ticket... I told you all, when I was told, it's time to get excited... After D23, yes, it is time to get excited... Sit back, relax, and enjoy the next 5 year ride... it's going to be one heck of a time...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think this and the SW news for the DHS is exciting news. It'll be interesting to see exactly how these will be built and the park is changed overall. Hope it won't take forever.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Added another higher res pic of the park area... We were theorizing that they are putting the entrance to Toy Story on the back of the existing building and everything in this land will be built behind the current show building.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Added another higher res pic of the park area... We were theorizing that they are putting the entrance to Toy Story on the back of the existing building and everything in this land will be built behind the current show building.

Thoughts?
    I think that is the most likely scenario. All that area back there right now doesn't have much of impotamce. Looks like warehouses and the backlot tour.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

First, I think the Toy Story area is a good idea. No reason to really remake Carsland in WDW.

Second, Toy Story area will already have a D Ticket ride (the lines say E Ticket) with Toy Story Mania. So, adding the two C or D ticket rides there that are family friendly will help with that park with things to do for families.

And if they can make the area immersive enough that you really think you have shrunk down to the size of a toy, it will be a hit.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really glad to see them invest into new things in the park - regardless of what the themes are (I like both the themes, which is a plus).

I was wondering though. It seems like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area will fit the new theme exactly. Are they keeping that? I have probably spent all of 15 min. in this area in my multiple trips to Disney World, so I would not be upset if it left, but I am trying to get a better feel for where the new land will be located.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper View Post
    I am really glad to see them invest into new things in the park - regardless of what the themes are (I like both the themes, which is a plus).

I was wondering though. It seems like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area will fit the new theme exactly. Are they keeping that? I have probably spent all of 15 min. in this area in my multiple trips to Disney World, so I would not be upset if it left, but I am trying to get a better feel for where the new land will be located.

Thanks.
    I don't see how they can keep it. It, like Muppets, is in the wrong location. In all likelihood, Toy Story Land will be on the West side of the Park, and Star Wars land on the East (since that's where TSMM and Star Tours are currently). The HISTK play area is on the East side of the park, and Muppets is smack dab in the middle of the likely location for Star Wars land. Keeping either of these in their present location and forms would just be bad show.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be negative, but I have to admit that I am very disappointed. I had read that they were putting Cars Land at the Studios and I was so looking forward to that. This just doesn't sound that great by comparison. WDW is huge and takes a full vacation. We did not feel the same about Disneyland and probably will never go there again unless we are in the area for another reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Would they move Pizza Planet?
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15