Quantcast Illness and injury

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Illness and injury

We just came home and loved our trip, however it seems it was plagued by more than our fair share of illness and injury. We had cold bugs, stomach bugs, back injuries, foot injuries and other maladies (none of which brought on by anything out of the ordinary for us).

Come to think of it, our family, who is usually very healthy, has had a large number of health issues on Disney trips (some serious like being taken from Main Street in an ambulance as a result of broken bones).

What gives? Has anyone else had similar experiences? It seems like all of the maladies of the whole year are coincidentally crammed into the week we travel to Disney.
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this. I can kind of understand the viral infections that crop up in public place like that, or even heat-related issues during the summer. But broken bones and foot injuries do sound a bit unusual. We have come home with colds on occasion, and a few blisters, but nothing more serious than that.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

On three separate occasions I have spent the majority of my Disney vacation sick in bed. I can't even remember the last time I was that sick at home. During one trip I was fine but the rest of the family was laid up. Go figure. We have never suffered broken bones or sprains of any kind. Although a few sunburns have added a little misery to a trip or two.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear! Not much fun and certainly not one would want or expect during a vacation!!

We'll dealt with our share of colds/ear aches etc during our Disney vacation including one visit to an outpatien clinic but, fortunately, nothing that involved gurneys or ambulances etc.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkwest View Post
    On three separate occasions I have spent the majority of my Disney vacation sick in bed. I can't even remember the last time I was that sick at home. During one trip I was fine but the rest of the family was laid up. Go figure. We have never suffered broken bones or sprains of any kind. Although a few sunburns have added a little misery to a trip or two.
    I know! We're never in bed sick at home but for some reason one (or usually more of us) end up with an infection, injury, throwing up, in the ER or something similar. It's happened so many times that it sounds unbelievable but it's true. And my wife wonders why my folks and I pack a pharmacy worth of potential meds and first aid.

My mind actually associates WDW with feeling physically aweful, but Mickey's magic always outweighs the bad!
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

For us a lot of it has to do with eating richer foods than we normally consume.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Be Afraid!

I think it's a conspiracy! "They" are testing your Disney Resolve!
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

The plane ride there doesn't help either. You're in a confined place with a large number of people with recycled, dry air. I used to get sick every time I got on a plane and then a co-worker mentioned something she'd seen about traveling on a plane. Because the air is dry the mucous membrane in your nose gets dried out and isn't able to do it's job as well regarding catching all those buggy-boos that are floating around. The suggestion is to put Vaseline in your nose to keep it moist. Ever since I've started putting stuff in my nose I've been able to stay healthy - and that included a trip to Africa and back.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    I know! We're never in bed sick at home but for some reason one (or usually more of us) end up with an infection, injury, throwing up, in the ER or something similar. It's happened so many times that it sounds unbelievable but it's true. And my wife wonders why my folks and I pack a pharmacy worth of potential meds and first aid.

My mind actually associates WDW with feeling physically awful, but Mickey's magic always outweighs the bad!
    Yes, you are not alone. I have had a torn Achilles tendon on Christmas Eve and spent Christmas day in bed in agony. Last 2-3 visits I had the "Disney leg rash" and pretty bad leg swelling.

Surely one of these trips we will all turn over a new leaf and have uneventful trips.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP I am sorry that these things have happened to you.

Sickness is easy enough to explain. You are exposed to more germs than normal, probably eating food you do not normally eat, and if you are like me you try to cram so much in that you do not get enough rest.

Lack of rest or fatigue might be a factor in the injuries too. I have also seen people get injured because they were distracted (testing, taking pictures, looking at the park schedule or map). Other injuries such as blisters, rashes and muscle pain are common when you do activity that you normally do not do (Like walk 11 miles in a day).
    Last edited by Speedy1998; 10-12-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I know! We're never in bed sick at home but for some reason one (or usually more of us) end up with an infection, injury, throwing up, in the ER or something similar. It's happened so many times that it sounds unbelievable but it's true...
    That's my family too, we have been to the ER at Disney for both of our last two trips, and as soon as we get home my health insurance company will sic the lawyers on me and try to seek subrogation from Disney. My October 2013 ER trip led to calls from Cigna for over 15 months! I finally just had to blow up on them to get it to stop.

.... And my wife wonders why my folks and I pack a pharmacy worth of potential meds and first aid.
    My wife teases me every time we pack because I have more bags than her, because when I go to a very "insulated" destination like Disney I will literally pack everything in the medicine closet, no exceptions.

She will laugh until she comes begging Dr. Goofy4TheWorld for some Pepto or Benadryl itch cream or Imodium! I usually waive the copay, but not always.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear! Sounds awful I'm so fortunate that no one in my family has ever become sick during a vacation. Here's some tips that my "germophobe" family follows:

Prior to your trip:
    -Eat healthy, drink water, and most importantly SLEEP.
    -Do everything in your power to avoid sick people prior to your trip.
    -We avoid early morning or late night flights that interfere with sleep because sleep helps protect the immune system.

During:
    -ALWAYS carry hand sanitizer with you. If young ones prefer, bring baby wipes.
    -It is ESSENTIAL to always re-apply hand sanitizer after touching door knobs, ride handles, que line interactives, and definitely before you eat.

I know these tips sound annoying, but after awhile it becomes a routine. Hopefully this helps!
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arielfan98 View Post

During:
    -ALWAYS carry hand sanitizer with you. If young ones prefer, bring baby wipes.
    -It is ESSENTIAL to always re-apply hand sanitizer after touching door knobs, ride handles, que line interactives, and definitely before you eat.
    !
    Also don't forget sunblock!!! Sunburns are probably the most common injury suffered at WDW.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

One of us inevitably gets sick almost every trip. Usually it starts with a cold in the car ride on the way down. I swear it's because we work like dogs in the weeks leading up to the trip and when you finally hit the time off, your body relaxes and gets sick. All of the previous suggestions about sleep, washing hands, avoiding sick people etc is so right!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!