Quantcast First Cruise - April 2/Fantasy/West Caribbean - transportation ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Cruise - April 2/Fantasy/West Caribbean - transportation ?

I'm so so so excited! I have wanted to go on a Disney Cruise since they christened their first ship! Hubby was hard to convince but finally gave his thumbs up and we set said for the Western Caribbean April 2 for a 7 day.

We will fly into Orlando on the 1st (land around 10 I think), have dinner reservations at the Boathouse and do not intend to go into the parks for the few hours we have before we have to get up the next morning and head over to PC. But....we are Disney addicts after all, so THAT could change. LOL

Our plan is to stay somewhere in the Disney/DS area just for that night. If we were going directly from the airport to PC - I understand (I think) there is a shuttle for $70 pp? But since we are spending the night - I thought perhaps we spend the night in a value resort on property and take the Disney Cruise bus that I've seen so many times over the years to PC the next morning. But is there some sort of minimal stay for that? **If this is of any help whatsoever here, ONE person in my party (21 year odl daughter has an active annual pass that expires on the 3rd) She was a College program kid and got it at the end of her 7 month stint! : )

Besides that big question - thought we are Disney fans tried and true - I'm up for ANY/ALL cruise tips you care to share. And of course I'll peruse the other threads!

TIA

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't do 'Disney' transport from a Disney hotel to PC. You'll end up arriving way late to the pier. Not late for the cruise, but later than you want to be there. We do third party transport and have had good luck. Also done the 'Disney' transport from the airport to the pier and that was OK too. Those tend to run much earlier and often than the transports from the resorts.

Regardless of your assigned time for the pier, you can check in at any time. You'll just need to wait until they call your boarding group, which I've never seen align with the arrival time suggested.

You will get on sooner in the earlier boarding groups, but it's not a 4 hour spread as they seem to indicate...

4. Likes CanadianWDWFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for your input! Would you say the car rental places would be easy to get to near PC? So we could just walk from the rental drop off to the embarkment location? I really can't picture any of this! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't do 'Disney' transport from a Disney hotel to PC. You'll end up arriving way late to the pier. Not late for the cruise, but later than you want to be there. We do third party transport and have had good luck. Also done the 'Disney' transport from the airport to the pier and that was OK too. Those tend to run much earlier and often than the transports from the resorts.

Regardless of your assigned time for the pier, you can check in at any time. You'll just need to wait until they call your boarding group, which I've never seen align with the arrival time suggested.

You will get on sooner in the earlier boarding groups, but it's not a 4 hour spread as they seem to indicate...

Post Thanks / Like

We have used Third party transport since it was cheaper for the four of us than the Disney transport. I agree with DizneyRox that you want to get there early. You want to get on board as soon as you can and have a relaxed lunch on board and then walk around and explore the ship before most of the folks board.

I know folks who have returned rental cars to the port and used the shuttle bus to get back. I was told that they would drop off the family and luggage then drop the car off so they would not have any bags to worry about at the rental office.

You will love the Fantasy! We have sailed on her twice and are packing right now for our third Fantasy cruise this Saturday!!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of 3rd party now that you mention all those wonderful reasons! LOL I mentioned this theory (LOL) to our travel agent who kind of tried to dissuade me from that. She was almost flippant and stating "I've cruised _________ million times and there's not much you can do on board before your take off time so I don't see much advantage." Hmmmm.... At any rate - what 3rd party transport groups do you suggest and where do we catch this? We will be staying at either the Dolphin or a Moderate resort on the night of the 1st and we set sail about 4:15 on the 2nd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DunkinNut View Post
    I've cruised _________ million times and there's not much you can do on board before your take off time so I don't see much advantage.
    They like their commission!

Last cruise we took Disney Transport (and also the last time we'll take Disney Transport), we got there around 2pm, missed the DVC Member Mixer, missed the Frozen Character Meet and Greet signup, lunch, etc. I have not been a _____ million times, and I assure you that you want to be there as early as possible.

Most of what you'll hear for recommendations is for the site sponsor Quicksilver...

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first time we have ever used a travel agent and the first time we have cruised - how does what time we board or whether or not we use the Disney transportation from Disney property to the terminal effect commision? Or am I misunderstanding completely?

I've never really understood how travel agents work...since I'm not paying them...I assume Disney does? Do they get a percentage? What is my advantage? Or disadvantage?

They like their commission!

Last cruise we took Disney Transport (and also the last time we'll take Disney Transport), we got there around 2pm, missed the DVC Member Mixer, missed the Frozen Character Meet and Greet signup, lunch, etc. I have not been a _____ million times, and I assure you that you want to be there as early as possible.

Most of what you'll hear for recommendations is for the site sponsor Quicksilver...

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first time we have ever used a travel agent and the first time we have cruised - how does what time we board or whether or not we use the Disney transportation from Disney property to the terminal effect commision? Or am I misunderstanding completely?

I've never really understood how travel agents work...since I'm not paying them...I assume Disney does? Do they get a percentage? What is my advantage? Or disadvantage?
    Travel agents work off commission. The commission is included in what you pay, the more you pay, the more the commission. You don't normally see the commission spiked out, I saw it once on some cruise documents and I was furious at the amount they got compared to the service I received from them, there was nothing I could do about it at that point. Your price isn't lower if you go directly to the source (Disney operates as a travel agent so they keep the commission if you book directly through them).

As far as advantages/disadvantages go... That's subjective. I (my opinion) have found little benefit from using a travel agent. There are goods out there that work for you and not their commission (site sponsor here is one of them). But the way I travel often I wouldn't get any benefit out of using one. I fly Southwest, I'm a DVC member so I need to arrange that myself, and I often pre-book my next cruise when I'm still on-board. If I were to do a two week trip through Europe, then maybe I would think about an agent...

One disadvantage may be the lack of control you might feel. Often you need to funnel everything through them, and might be easier to just call yourself.

The time you board has nothing to do with using a travel agent. All they are going to do is add transfers to your reservation. The transfers (Mears) will contact you and tell you when they will pick you up. The pickup time will probably be tied to when they drop off guests going from the pier to WDW. It's cheaper for them to group the one way trips in such a way to save them time/money. It's not done to make it convenient for you to get to the pier when you feel like it. They don't want to waste gas or pay a driver for time doing nothing.

By going with a third party, it's just you and your travel party. You tell them when you want to get to the pier and they will pick you up to get you there at that time. You won't stop at three other resorts picking guests up, waiting for people that forgot their passport, or waiting for Uncle Bob to get out of the bathroom. It's just you...

The transfers are priced per person (last I saw it was like $70 per person round trip) so after three people it's usually cheaper to go with a car service.

Hope that helps... I've been on a cruise a year at least for the past 5 years. I'm familiar with the options between WDW and Port Canaveral and the airport. Don't be afraid to ask...

BTW - You can same some cash by staying at the airport if you want. Heck, you could take ME free from the airport to WDW and then back and arrange a third party car from the airport to the pier. ME will kill a lot of time though. Pickup at WDW will be three hours before you tell them you need to be there. You DO NOT need to have a flight out of the airport to catch a ride on ME. You get a ride back and forth from the airport to the resorts with your hotel stay (you don't get ME if you stay at the Dolphin!)

Post Thanks / Like

I missed this... April 2nd? You have done pre boarding paperwork right? I think that's 60 days prior and during that you select when you want to board. That's not really tied to the transportation you opt for. Its really just to try to thin out the crowds at the terminal so everyone doesn't show up at once. As mentioned THAT time is used to assign you your boarding group. They start allowing the boarding groups to board I think around 11:30am or so, and they go in order of the pre boarding assignment.

Your rooms won't be ready until 1pm.they close off the staterooms until they are all cleaned. Anything you carry on board, you will be carrying until at least 1pm.

You can use the pools/aquaduck and all the other ship amenities as soon as you board.

Do your check in ASAP if you haven't yet. At least get to the boarding time assignment if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyRox - thanks - I wasn't checking in for a few days and got behind....I'm going to read up and the reply! Yes - April 2. So excited! Any chance, in the meantime, that you can let me know if there is DoleWhip on the ship OR Castaway Cay by chance? Please say yes, please say yes! LOL

I missed this... April 2nd? You have done pre boarding paperwork right? I think that's 60 days prior and during that you select when you want to board. That's not really tied to the transportation you opt for. Its really just to try to thin out the crowds at the terminal so everyone doesn't show up at once. As mentioned THAT time is used to assign you your boarding group. They start allowing the boarding groups to board I think around 11:30am or so, and they go in order of the pre boarding assignment.

Your rooms won't be ready until 1pm.they close off the staterooms until they are all cleaned. Anything you carry on board, you will be carrying until at least 1pm.

You can use the pools/aquaduck and all the other ship amenities as soon as you board.

Do your check in ASAP if you haven't yet. At least get to the boarding time assignment if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! We are checked in! Our boarding time is 12:45-1! We'll probably aim to arrive at the port at 11:30 because I'm so excited I can't stand it - unless they just will NOT let us in any earlier than the contract says. Is that the case? I've checked at My Disney Cruise website over and over and I see all check marks to indicate we have completed check in. Everything else is optional I guess (if we want special stuff in our room, drink packages, etc.)? Speaking of that....we have regular cruise friends who suggest we have waters put in our room....but don't we get all the water and non-alc drinks we want free onboard? If so....can't I just take a bottle of water with me from my meal back to my room? Not sure why we would buy extra water if I can just take water from elsewhere that was free...thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! We are checked in! Our boarding time is 12:45-1! We'll probably aim to arrive at the port at 11:30 because I'm so excited I can't stand it - unless they just will NOT let us in any earlier than the contract says. Is that the case? I've checked at My Disney Cruise website over and over and I see all check marks to indicate we have completed check in. Everything else is optional I guess (if we want special stuff in our room, drink packages, etc.)? Speaking of that....we have regular cruise friends who suggest we have waters put in our room....but don't we get all the water and non-alc drinks we want free onboard? If so....can't I just take a bottle of water with me from my meal back to my room? Not sure why we would buy extra water if I can just take water from elsewhere that was free...thoughts?
    There is no "free" bottled water on the ship. There is water from the soda machines and your cabin bathroom sink. All the water on ship is produced by reverse osmosis of sea water so it is literally as pure as scientifically possible. We always just drink the water available from the soda machines or our bathroom sink. The same water will be in the dining rooms and Cabanas soda machines.

I honestly do not understand why people bring or buy bottled water on the ship. Seems like such a waste of money to me. I do usually bring a water bottle that I can fill up and take with me to the gym, pool area, and off the ship. I just fill it up wherever on board.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

You can arrive any time you want to the port, they won't deny you entry. You will just need to wait until your boarding group is called. My guess would be in the 12:15 range..

I don't recall seeing Dolewhips on board. There's an ice cream bar that's open all the time (or everything's I've gone by, but I don't recall Dolewhips.

Bottled water isn't free as mentioned. Anything packages will be charged, so a can of soda will cost you money, but not the fountain soda on deck. I think even a soda dispensed at a bar is charged (it's been a long time since I tried that). Basically is there's a person behind the product, you will need your room charge card. The Y only take that card, not another credit card, so best to link a card to your room.

Soda in the dining rooms though is free. Used to be if you asked for it from your assistant waiter it was free, but the wine steward would charge. I think the cruise lines may have combined that job, but maybe not all.

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from our 3rd Fantasy cruise on Saturday. So try to I'll answer your questions.

Your friend suggests water being put in your room probably means that you are ordering bottled water to be put into your room before you arrive. This will cost you around $10 for 6. There is no bottled water offered at dinner and if you order a bottle from anywhere on the ship including room service you will be charged for it. Just as BrerGnat said, the water from the ships systems is perfectly fine for drinking. This is all that we drank, we did bring a couple of bottles that we refilled from our bathroom sink or the drink stations on deck 11. Soda as noted is free as long as you don't order it from any of the ships bars. My son was charged for a soda when he ordered one a bar.

There are no dole whips on board. The flavours of soft serve ice cream are vanilla, chocolate, banana and strawberry, There are four machines that make two flavours each and you can twist the two flavours. On St. Patrick's Day they had mint ice cream, but this was the only time that I have ever seen any flavour other than the four mentioned.

Your terminal time is when you are scheduled to be in the terminal to help reduce the amount of folks waiting to board. Once on board you will not have access to your stateroom until 1:30. You will be unable to even go down the corridors until that time. It is almost like rope drop at the parks with everyone waiting for the rush to get to their rooms. Don't wait in the stairwell for your room, relax enjoy lunch, explore the ship a bit and around 2pm go to your room.

Hope this helps.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a million!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: