Quantcast Need save-the-date-help! Virtual or physical?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Paper or virtual save-the-dates?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Post card/magnet is best

7 70.00%
  • Email is fine

3 30.00%
  • It doesn't matter/I have a different idea (please share!)

0 0%
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need save-the-date-help! Virtual or physical?

Hello! My fiance and I are almost done with our guest list (that was fun ) and are now discussing what to do for sending save-the-dates. Initially I wanted to send them via email through Paperless Post. It's more economical for us to use the free service and 99% of our guests have email. The other 1% will get a phone call from us to save the date. We will be doing physical invitations later, with online RSVPs (anyone who doesn't have internet/computer access can call us to RSVP).

We were all set with this plan, and then we went to our friend's house over the weekend and in her kitchen it struck me that I really liked seeing the save-the-dates from other weddings on her fridge. Some were magnets, some postcards that were pinned with a magnet. This friend is the kind that typically saves things like that. I usually keep it on the fridge until after the event, or after I get the invite and then recycle it. I will save invitations from past weddings. Being that I hadn't thought to consider what our guests might prefer, now I am torn. We have really been trying to make decisions based on what we want for our wedding and what we can afford, and we could afford to easily get save-the-date postcards printed and sent through the mail.

So - what do you prefer? Keeping in mind these are just save-the-dates and not the actual invitation, is a post card or magnet better than an email?

THANK YOU!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted postcard, just my preference. You could always print them at home and save a few dollars that way. Avery has some great templates.

As far as the RSVP, you may want to reconsider that depending on the size of your wedding. I had close to 300 and those little cards sure help out when trying to arrange seating. Many times they are included with the invitation so the only added cost would be the postage.

I'm all for emails, online rsvp, etc but not for special events. This is your wedding, not a business meeting. Just my
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

4. Thanks BriarRose0708 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just voted for email. Friends are getting married this fall, and we just got their email "save the date" a couple of days ago. It was all we needed, we know the date, we've added it to the calendars.

I am looking forward to the "real" invitation though ... I hate it when those are sent via email too.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

6. Thanks BriarRose0708 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are doing real invitations, I would say email on save the dates

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

8. Thanks BriarRose0708 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather spend money on items for things for the actual ceremony and wedding than on magnets. I think that a simple save the date e mail is sufficient. If you have guests without e mail, you may want to consider buying some stationary and mailing a letter to convey the information to them.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the post card save the date cards. I have actually used photo cards for past parties and also smaller magnets that we made ourselves.

Have you considered going onto a site such as etsy and having a custom print made then taking that to the local Walmart, Sams, Walgreens, etc and have them printed? This past year we did 4x6 cards that I paid under $10 for a custom artwork then 9 or 10 cents per print at walgteens. I purchased envelopes at Walmart and off they went. Save the date cards (100 cost me literally under $25) and they looked awesome). Many people still have them up on their fridge - I have actually seen 3 just this past week. PM me if you would like to see what our party one looked like or if you need more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Always physical...

I hate how impersonal everything is getting. Kids just texting instead of talking, etc. I don't even bother responding to eVites, if they are too busy to do a proper invite, I'm too busy to respond. I don't subscribe to things like online check-in. I'd rather a longer process with maybe some back and forth with an actual person. It's just part of the process.

Post Thanks / Like

How formal is your wedding? If it is very, very casual, email would probably be ok. If not, physical save the date cards would probably be better.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

A little late to respond but I LOVE magnet save the dates- I'm one of those who keeps them on my fridge. Especially if it includes a pic of the couple. Makes me smile...and helps me to remember when to send an anniversary card
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I think we are going physical post cards because we can get a great deal through Vista Print!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: