Quantcast Animal Kingdom Lodge - Give me the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom Lodge - Give me the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Thinking of staying here in January.
    Currently have reservations at the BC. Was hoping for a 25% discount for deluxe hotels but was disappointed to find out that now the discount on Deluxe hotels varies.
    The BC and Poly only have a 10% discount but the Yacht Club, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom have a 25% discount for the same time period.

We can save $800 by staying at the AKL.

We've only visited it once 3 years ago when we went to Boma for BF. It was very good.

We've stayed at the Poly, BC, WL, POR, CB, & CS.
    How does the AKL compare ?

I know it's a deluxe but the room square footage for a standard room is 344, less than the BC and Poly.

We would stay at the Yacht Club or WL but they both will be under construction.

Could you give me your opinions on anything you can think of ?
    Was rooms refurbished recently ?
    What's the best section of hotel to request ?
    How are all the restaurants and food places ?
    I heard the lighting is very low. Is the bathroom area low lit too ?

Thank you
    Donald Duck

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed either. I'm booked for AKL next year. I asked about it here before booking and while there were some cons overall I think the pros outweighed them. Especially for what my family is looking for. I'll be watching this thread to see what responses you get.

And $800 is a huge savings!!

Post Thanks / Like

Was there early this month for the third time. Great place to stay. I only have two things that I really don't like. One, the food court seating is very limited. I think that when the lodge was designed they thought everyone would take the food back to the room. Also the bus area is slightly downhill and a short walk. When coming back at the end of the night from a park it sometimes seems like an uphill climb. The light in the bathroom area is ok. For the sink area I thought it was fine, but a little more light for the shower would of been nice. Check the daily activities that the AKL has, also make sure you look at the animals with the night vision googles. The white sheer curtains in the room have the Lion King characters on the curtains.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Have stayed there in a savannah view studio (used DVC rental points). LOVE the place.

Breakfast on the porch with the animals roaming around below is a treat. Boma and Sanaa (at Kidani up the road) are great. Activities at the lodge are good... and the artwork is great.

Lighting is subdued due to the dark wood and color tones, but not an issue.

The QS place there (Mara) is not great... but I don't think any of them are all that great.

best,

..................john

DVC Member 2016 AKL
    After: October 2019 F+W Fest <Jambo>
    Next: March 2019 Flower and Garden Fest <Jambo>
    Last: August 2018 <Kidani>
    October 2017 F+W Fest <Kidani>
    Also: 1988, 1990, 1992, 1997, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016
    Disneyland - 1972

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there! We just stayed at Yacht Club our last trip and we ate several times and walked around the BC since they are basically attached. I liked both alot. However, my all time favorite resort is hands down the AKL. My dad and I stayed there when it opened, and we have stayed there many times. Its my favorite by far. I love how remote it feels, like you are really on a luxury safari. It is dark, but I happen to really like the dark, exotic atmosphere. I seriously would live there if I could. We have stayed at Kidani and Jambo, and I'd probably go with Jambo, just because its so much closer to Mara and everything else. Even though I did hear that Sanaa is doing breakfast now? Pretty much the whole resort has that dark atmosphere. The rooms are my favorites. We've had Savannah view, and standard views (which usually end up being partial savannah views anyway). The rooms are smaller, but I find we tend to stay out on the balcony so much more at AKL. We usually spend alot of time at the resort, and AKL is just one of the best places to chill. The pools are great, the food is great. It is a very long resort- we have stayed at the furthest room (DVC studio at literally the furthest end of the hallway...we were at the end) and that can be alot of walking, so if that's an issue, I'd request a room near the lobby. One Christmas we requested a room near the lobby, and we had a room right over the front desk...we opened our door and saw the giant Christmas tree...it was amazing.

The only downsides, which have never been a downside for me but a positive, simply because I love the remoteness, is that it is the furthest resort and you are somewhat limited on food choices- at least at BC and YC, you are right in the middle of the action. I love AKL because it is so out of the way and dark. We've never had any issues with the buses, but I've heard others complain about it.

I would pick AKL every single time if I could.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

7. Likes WiltonJohn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the walk back from bus stop to be quite steep after a long day in park, then the rooms can be quite far from lobby. Still a favorite of ours though.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your responses ��

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the walk up the hill after a long day. If you use the refillable mugs, I would request a pool view. This will put you close to the restaurants, as well. It is a wonderful place, and I would stay there again, but I just really like the location of YC,BC, and BW.

Mar. 2006 - Offsite
    Sep. 2008 - Coronado Springs
    Mar. 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    June 2014 - Caribbean Beach/Yacht Club/Offsite
    Sep. 2016 - Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

The best things there are the pool, the views, the animals, and the retaurants. Only negative is it takes a little longer to get places (other than AK obviously)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    The best things there are the pool, the views, the animals, and the retaurants. Only negative is it takes a little longer to get places (other than AK obviously)
    Agree 100%. Both pools are terrific. It depends on your tastes, of course, but we feel AKL has some of the best resort dining options on property. Mara is by far our favorite counter service at Disney, with some great food options with their soups, salads, flat breads, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

2 times i had standard view of parking lot. last time i rented dvc pts standard and had animals outside the room ..nice view from balcony..other than srs in the next room talking loud, long walk to room but the walk didnt bother me. the gift shop is great. jiko was great. did a wine tasting at jiko one afternoon.the bartender at pool bar was very nice.. id stay here again
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

They have a good gym and locker room/changing area which I like for a workout or two and being able to change on arrival and checkout day if my room isn't ready or if I need to get ready for a flight after checkout. I have had VERY BAD LUCK with my check-in times there. Don't expect to be able to get in to your room before 4:00pm. Be prepared.

The Mara service is not great, but it is convenient. The staff at the pool bar however is great, like day and night. I tend to order my Mara food from the bar if I can.

I had a pool view last time. Thought it was fine. All of the rooms seemed to be in pretty good shape. Bathroom lighting seemed adequate, but I am a guy and not picky there.

For dining in the hotel I really like both Jiko and Saana. Jiko is a great choice for a nice formalish meal. I am not a buffet person, but I have eaten at Boma and it is pretty good. Many tables at Saana have decent savannah views and I like Indian/Asian food but it is not strictly either, but good. Lately I have been going to BlueZoo at the Dolphin: quick cab ride and a much better value than the Cali Grill, Narcoosee's, etc. Still pricy, but cheaper than others and great service and menu options.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Loved AKL! We just haven't had a chance to get back there. The themeing is awesome. The smell in the lobby is the best. I wish you could get it in a candle. It can be a bit dark in the rooms, but to be able to sit out and watch the animals from your room at any time of day is great. It was so much fun for the kids! The pool was great (and huge). I would say the only downside to AKL is it's distance from the parks (except AK), but if you have a car then it might not be so bad. Everyone should experience AKL at least once.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

AKL is in a class by itself. Have definitely enjoyed the Savannah View for the couple times we stayed.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

17. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be in january, at Port Orleans French Quarter. Is it allowed to enter at the AK lodge, walk around and eat at restaurants or food court? I entered years ago to Polynesian Village even though I didn't stay there, but things may have changed now.
    September 1973
    August 1988
    November 1990
    May 1993
    April 1996 (Disneyland)
    October 1999
    October 2002 (Disneyland)
    March 2003
    December 2009
    July 2011
    March 2013
    January 2017
    November 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are more than welcome to visit any of the resorts just to look around, enjoy the restaurants and shop. The pools are reserved for resort guests, but that's about the only restriction.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from AKL and It was a great stay. Rooms were clean and we were upgraded to a Savannah view. People were friendly and the theme is awesome. Animal viewing from all over the resort. The only down side is that the trip to the quick service can be long. The busses were on time each day never a long wait for one at the resort, however at the parks busses can be a long long wait. Not sure why but getting to AK took us the longest and it is right around the corner.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Share This Thread On Social Media: