Quantcast Tips for travelling with kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips for travelling with kids

We will be doing 9 days at Disney World with a girl turning 3, a girl turning 5 and an almost 7 year old boy. Any and all tips appreciated from the flight to the parks. Thanks in advance
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Be flexible. Involve the kids in the planning - what do they want to do? I'm assuming your party includes at least two adults? If so, you may need to plan to split up from time to time. The more adventurous of the kids may want to do the more adventurous rides while a more timid kid might not want to do the same rides. Also, there may be rides that one or more of the kids are not tall enough for - if so, prepare those kids in advance that there are some rides they will not be able to do. Since you're in Virginia, it sounds like you won't spend too much time on the plane but be sure to have some activities that the kids can do while in flight - whether it's a movie to watch on a tablet or an activity book.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from 14 days at Disney with 4 kids (8,5,3,1). I would suggest a non-park day every 2-3 days, to sleep in, visit the pool, and just recharge. Famine mentioned splitting up, and this is almost a necessity at times, because the littles get tired of waiting for the oldest to ride. We rarely used evening EMH as tired kids can make for a rough trip. But we hit almost every morning EMH. They allow for the oldest to ride the big rides with short lines, and then FP can be used for something the littles will enjoy. I would also advise taking a stroller, or two, both for tired little legs, and to rein the kids in in the crowds.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

My contract in Virginia has ended. I just arrived in Arizona (where my family lives), so it will be a long flight with my 3 year old granddaughter. The other two kids are coming from Kentucky, so it will be a little easier on them. I can't believe I've forgotten so much about kids since mine were little.

The party will have at least 10 adults. I have been wondering how to handle the "you aren't tall enough to ride" situation. It will probably only be a problem when the 7 year old wants to ride something his sister can't. How have you guys handled it in the past?

Would you suggest I rent a stroller there, buy a little umbrella stroller from a store out there or just bring one from home? The one they have is big and heavy. Do you think only the three year old will need it or should I plan on one for the 5 year old also?

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was 5 on our last trip and she needed a stroller by the middle of the day. Little legs and lots of walking/standing. I would suggest renting a stroller from an outside company. They deliver to the resorts. You have the stroller your entire stay. If you rent in parks then you only have the stroller in the parks. Carrying a sleeping child to the bus stop and room will get tiring.

Post Thanks / Like

There is lots of walking and standing. I may need a stroller by the end of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite tips I found when our children were younger was to bring an over the door shoe holder that you can get at target/walmart this helps to keep toiletries organized and the bottom pockets can be used by the kids to store their toys, snacks, etc.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

I also would advise renting a stroller for the younger ones. My son's first trip was when he was 4 and it was a lifesaver, the parks are very big and it's a lot of walking for little ones. I would also advise some sort of activity books for the flight. A friend of mine made my son one, it had coloring pages, easy word finds, all kinds of Disney related things to do, I wish I could find it now. That was 15 years ago.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back taking our kids- they are 4 and 6. We have a Combi double umbrella stroller that is lightweight and folds easily. My 6 YO rode in it every day- I would definitely plan on taking one for the 5YO. As far as the flight, I always make sure to bring coloring books, markers, the Ipad, and snacks for my kids. We fly to Hawaii every year, and that is a long flight with little ones. I have always bought them each a special little backpack and filled it with dollar store items- books, markers, pens, toys, snacks, and let them open it on the plane.

I also highly recommend not cramming in tons of stuff during the trip- kids just need so much more down time and rest. I find it makes for a much better, happier trip if I give my kids time to rest and play at the hotel instead of forcing park days and extensive plans on them. I try to loosely plan our itinerary, keeping in mind that it may change based on how we are all feeling. My kids in particular love a mix of park days and just hanging out at the hotel. They are at such a fun age, and so far we've had really good trips!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: