Quote Originally Posted by akaDisneyDreamer View Post
I recently cancelled a much needed trip to WDW due to severe back pain. However not going to go to Disney ever again is not an option! I'm probably going to have to use a scooter on the next trip. My fear is, how do you maneuver thorough the crowds? I'm so afraid of running into someone. How do you watch the fireworks or go shopping? Do you go through the normal lines to get on a ride or see a show? Or do you park it and try to walk through the lines with everyone else? Obviously I've not paid much attention to others using scooters. Thanks for any advice you can offer

Well let me see if I can be of some help. Between my lady friend and I we have used scooters a number of times.

If you are going to be with family I would have someone walk in front of you a few steps ahead. It seem they will get out of the way quicker than trying it with a scooter. For the most part though we have had little trouble.

As far a the fireworks or shopping that can differ. Fireworks would be no different than normal just try to fine a good spot and wait it out. Shopping can sometimes be an issue if the store is really crowded, but we have been able to get it done you just need to be patient.

The rides or show depend on how they are set up. I have found that most rides and shows are ECV friendly. One that comes to mind that is not is Pirates of Caribbean. You will need to park the ECV and get a wheel chair. I have noticed that they do have some at the entrance. Rides where you wait in a line you take the ECV to the point where you would need to transfer to the ride. This applies to fast pass or regular lines. If you are not sure just at the cast member and they will be glad to help.

I would rent an ECV from an a Disney approved off site provider. We use Apple scooter as they provide hazard insurance with the cost of the unit. I have found them to be cheaper than others. In the past I have had 2 issues where I needed to call Apple for a replacement and got it within about 30 min. They deliver either to the park or resort where ever you would have an issue. When you rent an ECV from an approved provider they will deliver it to your resort and you can pick it up at the bell captains desk. When you are finished with the scooter just take it back to the bell captain.

If you rent one in the parks it is $50 a day plus a $25 deposit. You will not be able to take it out of the parks. Renting one on the outside is about half that and you can use it at the resort. Transportation on buses are not a real issue most of the time.

Hope this helps..