Some very interesting points regarding the future of "cashless" at Disney. To be honest, I'm surprised it took this long. It's just becoming more and more prevalent. It'll be interesting to see how the pilot goes. I'm sure folks at the AKL are expecting to get an earful at some points during the pilot, from folks who are not happy.

We don't view it as a major issue for us - but that's us! In reality, I have to think that 95%+ of families going there have a credit card or debit card - unless you're still personally going into the bank to deposit and withdraw cash every time, instead of using an ATM. But it will be an adjustment for some who might use cash as a budgeting tool. I'm afraid I can admit to many moons ago when we used travelers cheques as a budgeting tool - and a safe way to bring cash on vacation. Well, those days are long gone - hardly anyone takes them anymore! But now, instead of buying $1,000 worth of travelers cheques (as an example), we leave the $1000 in the bank, monitor our credit card, and pay the bill with the $1000 when it comes. And with the ability to check your Disney balance and/or credit card balance during the trip (with Disney-supplied wifi), you really can monitor your spending regularly anyway.

And who knows - maybe there will be enough negativity coming out of the pilot that they'll rethink it. But based on what we're seeing other places, it seems likely this will be the norm for Disney and other places in the future.