Quantcast Planning Suggestions - Long Post

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning Suggestions - Long Post

My first trip to Walt Disney World was in 1977 still in the days of the ABCDE tickets unless you were a guest at one of the resorts (Contemporary, Poly, Ft Wilderness, or the Golf Resort) and had the option of a special all attraction ticket that you would wear to show that you didn't need a ride ticket to the ticket taker at the entrance to each queue. The first all-access tickets available to all guests came about with the opening of EPCOT Center. As a supervisor at another theme park, Disney was the Holy Grail and I looked forward to visiting at least twice a year because it was the only park where I could truly relax and enjoy myself because there was nothing to criticize. We planned our visits using the Birnbaum guide when it became available while EPCOT was under construction. My wife and I honeymooned at Disney staying at The Caribbean Beach Resort a mere month after the opening of Disney MGM Studios in 1989. Our next trip was in 98 when our daughter was 4. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge with a Length of Stay pass (park hopping was still included in ALL WDW admission media). Our last trip with her (and for us for a number of years) was in 2002. I had found Intercot by that time and this place was buzzing with activity and was full of helpful hints for the new and not so new guests to WDW.

In 2021, My wife and I took advantage of a Marriott offer for 4 nights at Sheraton Vistna Villages for $199. We made a big deal of this trip making it last well beyond the Orlando time. We visited the Okefenokee Swamp, spent a couple of nights in Titusville and Cocoa Beach and visited the Kennedy Space Center, rekindling memories of me visiting in 1969 and watching as the transporter moved the Saturn V rocket carrying Apollo 11 to the launchpad. Then we moved to Orlando. We were at Disney in the days leading up to the 50th (we checked out to head home on October 1, 2021). In those few days we were able to do most of what we wanted to do just by using some common sense and the Park Hopper. Of course, there was no Fast Pass, which was fine with me, and no tram service from the parking lots (which was a pain). But we went with the flow and it worked for us. Did we see everything that we wanted to see? No. Did we have a good time? Yes.

Fast forward to today. We are looking at a mid October 2024 visit. We are being offered the same lodging deal at Vistana Villages, this time for a 2 bedroom villa for 4 nights. We plan to combine that with 4 additional nights at Bluegreen's The Fountains resort across the street (we're members of their vacation club) on points. Our daughter, who is turning 30 next Spring will be with us - she hasn't been to Orlando since she was 8. We plan to spend a couple of days at Universal (mainly for Harry Potter - none of us have been to Universal at all), and 4 days at Disney (with Park Hopper - it offers the most flexibility).

My question is this: What are the best sources for help in planning a visit in 2024? I look forward to the revamping of Intercot, but let's face it, right now, the discussion boards ain't what they used to be (and I hate that). I would be interested in knowing where y'all go to figure out strategies for using Genie+ and Lightning Lane (or even if it's worth it - and don't get me started on the idea of paying through the nose for park tickets and then paying almost as much for the ability to even ride the rides - it's insane).

Thanks. Any suggestions are appreciated. Hope y'all's holidays were happy and special and wishing you the best in the new year.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Folks are still here to answer questions you may have. You can also find lots of helpful information directly on the Disney website - although there are times when I've found their website hasn't been updated to reflect some changes.

We live in the Orlando area and visit regularly. Disney is not what it used to be. While we have had good days (lower crowds), they tend to be hit or miss. Crowds, on the whole, have been significantly higher than they used to be for the last couple of years.

If we are not staying at a Disney resort, we still try to arrive in time for park opening for those not eligible for the 1/2 hour early entry. We find we are able to get in a few of the more popular rides early in the morning. By late morning, the crowds have arrived. We often leave Disney before lunch. Although we have annual passes, we rarely park hop since we are not usually there past 2 pm though that might change when the park hopping restriction comes off.

If we are staying in a Disney resort, we typically try to arrive for early entry opening. The early entry is only for 1/2 hour, so by time they drop the rope and you get to your first selected ride, you might already have used up 10-15 minutes of your 1/2 hour time. We, therefore, aim for one ride - usually one that is extremely popular - and head directly to that ride.

We have purchased Genie + only on one occasion and that was earlier this month when relatives were visiting and we went to Disney Studios together. As noted on the Disney web site, we managed to use this pass for two rides the day we were there.

It is my opinion that Disney is selling many more Genie + passes than they used to allow in the free fastpass system and, it is my opinion, that this makes the standby lines even longer than they used to be. Actually, we didn't mind the period when they had no fast passes or Genie + at all. Everyone had the same wait in their chosen lines or could simply bypass those they thought too long. With Genie +, the posed standby wait times are often not accurate and become much longer if a large ground of Genie + holders descends on the ride or the ride experiences a temporary halt. We have seen the Genie + Lightning Lane entrance for rides like Peter Pan, extend all the way down to the Fantasmic theater and once overheard someone in the line wonder how long the standby line must be if they were in the fast line!!

Good luck with your planning!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

4. Thanks Wayne thanked for this post
    Likes Andy_2002, Wayne, PopPhan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Linda.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

6. Likes Sneaky Pete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind there are changes coming to G+ in 2024 that haven't been announced yet, only that the "powers that be" have listened to guest feedback and want to incorporate changes that should result in less time spent on your phone in the app trying to chase down Lightning Lanes. No other information has been shared. I feel G+ is worth it when you know how to use it strategically. I had to watch hours of YouTube videos before it clicked for me, and some trial and error using it for the first time. When I was there on a moderately crowded day, I was able to book 5-6 Lightning Lanes, not including the rides with additional fees (e.g., Rise of the Resistance).

I emphasize Linda's tips to arrive early, especially if you're there during a more crowded time, like school breaks. If it's a holiday week, resolve to not hit the snooze bar and get to the gate 45 minutes to an hour before park open, especially if you are not a resort guest. Take a midday nap and then return to the parks by the late afternoon. Animal Kingdom is a great one to end your day with. Even though it closes the earliest out of the four parks, people generally start there and hop to other parks or leave between 2 and 3 p.m., so by 4 o'clock it's usually very empty and the only long wait is at Flight of Passage. Just check the schedule in the app because there are rides, shows, and character meets that end or close earlier than park close.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

8. Likes PopPhan liked this post

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: