Quantcast What's in those backpacks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

On our last couple of visits, we couldn't help but notice all the people carrying fairly large backpacks with them in the parks. To us they seemed like such an inconvenience. They make getting on rides difficult, they make a hot August day even hotter. And more often than not, they seemed rather full and heavy.

I don't get it. Do these folks have so much stuff that they "have" to keep with them that they really "need" such a large container?

I only carried a small water bottle and thought that was a nuisance.

Please enlighten me.
    Marker from MO

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Mom -- that should explain a lot. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Inside our backpack you'll find a water bottle, granola bar, fruit snack, 4 ponchos, a sweatshirt for the little one, camera, 2 way radio, wallet, a comb, lip stick, band-aids, wet naps & general meds.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

I bring a backback with me, it just has some drinks and some food so you do not have to spend alot of money in the park. Also camaras and other things could go in it too...it is just a money saver I guess.
    First Trip: 1990 Fort Wilderness Campground
    1990-2006: Annual Pass Holder
    2002: Spring WDW College Program
    2005: First Disneyland Trip
    2007: Double Tree Suites DTD
    Engagement Trip
    11/6/2007 - 11/13/09 Regal Sun Resort DTD
    Next Trip
    Honeymoon
    9/1/09 - 9/10/09 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we usually carry a small backpack when one or more of the grandkids are with us, and it usually contains:
    • Camcorder, one extra tape, and extra charged battery
    • Extra socks for us and kids
    • WetOnes to clean up after Mickey Bars [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img]
    • A rolled-up medium size trash bag to hold our shoes and socks while we're on wet rides
    • Sunscreen
    • 2 or 3 disposable diapers if one of the little guys still uses them
    • A few granola bars or similar snacks
    • Disposable rain ponchos for each of us (when potentially needed)

Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Most of the time, I'm carrying the camcorder around my neck, so the backpack is relatively light.
    ________
    XS-1
    Last edited by Ed; 01-18-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well, let's see. We had our camera, our daughter's camera, a video camera, water for all 3 of us, snacks, sandwiches every day, ponchos, a jacket and change of clothes for the rugrat, pins and lanyards (uncomfortable to wear them all day), wallet, autograph book and pen, DW's insulin and other medication, sunscreen.

I think that's about it. As you can see there is a lot we couldn't do without and the rest we didn't want to be without. DD is 3, so there are things we had to have that we won't need as she gets older. I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to carry the big backpack anymore, but since we will probably be having another child before our next trip ditching the backpack is probably a long way off still. [img]graemlins/mike.gif[/img]
    Scott<br /><br />Hello, Cobra Bubbles? Aliens are attacking my house.<br /><br />Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw.<br /><br />Oct 2001 Fort Wilderness campground<br />Sept 2002 AKL<br />December 14-23 2003 POP CENTURY!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I carry my backpack, it's set up so I can bring my life with me (Disney isn't where I go to get away from it all.. that's Vegas. Disney is where I live ) I carry a Casio Cassiopeia EM500, Palm M105, Cellphone, headphones, digital camera (YES!! I FINALLY REPLACED MINE!), 2 128MB MMD Cards, and a Poncho. Sometimes, I'll forgo the 2 PDA's, and bring my early Xmas present, a Sony VAIO laptop, since it's barely bigger than the 2 PDA's side by side.
    \|||/
    (o o)
    ----ooO-(_)-Ooo----

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see - in our backpack we have the schedule I make each trip complete with our priority seating numbers, a video camera, a digital camera, our regular camera, diapers, wipes, a water bottle, a stuffed Mickey Mouse, fruit snacks and other kid bribes, ponchos (if it looks like rain), a pen and autograph book, the sweatshirts we shed as the day warms up and various purchaces from around the park. The backpack does get heavy, so we usually put it in the stoller and hook it over an ankle on the rides. It also contains our "kid leash" for when he gets tired of the stroller. We don't like to waste time going back to the hotel we make out kid sleep in the stroller or at the Hall of Presidents.

Before we had a kid, we tied the sweatshirts around our waists and carried one small camera.
    ºoº
    "One minute you're defending the whole galaxy, the next you find yourself sucking down Darjeeling with Marie Antoinette and her little sister."
    ~Buzz Lightyear, Space Ranger

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Speaking of backbacks...if you do happen to take some snacks, perhaps a sandwhich or two; now that they check bags, do they take the food away if they see it? Since Disney is particular about outside food coming in and with them checking bags, that might seem like an obvious! That's unfortunate though...when I go I hate to stop to eat and would much rather prefer to have something on hand to calm a growling stomach...who's got time to stop when you're at Disney! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

-Laura
    Born and raised in Kissimmee Florida!
    2010--Coronado Springs [April 18-24]
    2008--Coronado Springs [Jan 25-Feb 2]
    2005--Pop Century [May 1-8]
    2003--offsite: Got engaged in Mexico at Epcot!
    2002--offsite
    2001-1981--too many times to remember!

Post Thanks / Like

They are full of Beef Jerky and dried salmon.
    Make Friends With The Badger

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a childless grown-up, and I carry:

My camera and film
    Sunglasses
    Baseball cap
    Umbrella
    Change of socks
    Small notebook and pen (for jotting down any info I might want to remember later, etc.)
    Any souveniers I buy that day

It's not much, but it's the kind of stuff you want to have on you at all times. Anything else can go in a locker, but you don't want to have to bolt the whole way across the park just because you finished a roll of film.

And for people my age, who aren't that far removed from college, carrying a backpack is still pretty much second nature.

Plus, if you carry everyone else's cameras, etc., you can make them carry the bag once in a while.
    --Pat / HooksLeftHand

"I'd like to take a moment to point out some of our native plants...There's one over there...there's one...there's another."

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I hate carrying anything. I have my key to the world in a button or zip pocket. That's it!

(But we don't have kids, which probably changes a lot!)
    Visits - too many to count!
    DVC Members since 2010
    OKW May 2011
    BLT Jan 2012
    OKW Dec 2013
    OKW March 2015
    OKW November 2016

Post Thanks / Like

we took one two weeks ago. Its great for carrying rain gear and sweat shirts. It got chilly when the sun went down. It also kept our tickets dry and our cameras. It was great.
    "There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

childless, early-20's here.... always carrying a backpack or messenger bag.
    *water!
    *digital camera, memory cards
    *small notebook & pen
    *sunscreen
    *sunglasses/carry case
    *granola bar, small snack
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I used to only carry a fanny pack. Simve the purchase of the camcorder we have started with the backpack. It holds the camcorder, camera, rain jackets (it IS Florida, after all), drinks, bandaids, cell phone, 2 way radios and anything else that may be needed that day. If we decide on any given day not to carry the camcorder, it's back to the fanny pack.
    The backpack is so much easier to carry than a camera bag. That is, honestly, the prime reason for it. When there are children, it will hold diapers and such, in addition to the previously mentioned items.
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how I miss being able to just carry a little fanny pack! Back then it was park pass, room key, sunglasses, and a small camera. We just took turns carrying the video camera. Now its a big old diaper bag (but we still use a stroller so at least it can ride) with everything but the kitchen sink! It's amazing how much stuff you need with 3 kids, and we use every bit of it! Hopefully by the time the littlest outgrows the stroller we can move to a smaller bag.
    [img]smile.gif[/img] Laura
    AKA Mamacita in the VMK
    Past trips:
    WDWx7 (CBRx2, ASMx2, POR, Poly, FW)
    DLx7
    Next up, who knows!
    No time for goofin off, I got dawdlin to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever seen the show
    "Let's Make a Deal"
    One of the games was to ask folks in the audience for things like a rubber band from their purse. Or perhaps an old movie ticket.
    The funny thing is most women had what the item was. My children use to tell me all the time that I needed to go on that show.
    On the complete opposite of that-this trip I am trying to go backpackless. Should be interesting.
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

No, when they searched the backpack they didn't even bat an eye about the food. But we were just taking sandwiches and small snacks and water. They did make me turn the video camera on a couple times. They were much more concerned about those kind of things.
    Scott<br /><br />Hello, Cobra Bubbles? Aliens are attacking my house.<br /><br />Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw.<br /><br />Oct 2001 Fort Wilderness campground<br />Sept 2002 AKL<br />December 14-23 2003 POP CENTURY!!

pipanale Guest

I feel like a Sherpa when we go,
    2 water bottles
    Packs of snacks
    Apples
    Maps
    Camera(s)
    Film
    Ponchos
    Gum
    More Snacks
    Small children
    Pets
    Souvenirs
    etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Camera bag usually doubles as a backpack...
    eyedrops, chapstick, gum or mints,...plus all the things like snacks and water and wallets that everyone else mentioned.
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hiya, ditto to pretty much everything.

The main reason why we carry a backpack is to carry our lunch and drinks. This is because it gets pretty expensive for a family of four to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner out everyday.

we will get snacks during the day popcorn etc and only eat out at night, which is still a fortune for people on a budget.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: