Quantcast Attraction of the Week 01/20 -- Pirates of the Caribbean - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I love just about every part of the ride that you have all mentioned! I've always wanted to be a pirate!

The best part of the ride is that it is always cool and utterly refreshing on even the hottest days!
    07/94 Disneyland Paris
    03/99 Offsite
    03/00 FW Campground/AS Movies
    01/01 Caribbean Beach
    03/02 WDW Dolphin
    04/15 Grand Floridian
    01/19 Sheraton Vistana Villages

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey PeterPan,
    Not to split hairs, but Pirates of the Caribbean opened in December of 1973, not 1972. The story is that Disney imaginers (sp?) did not think that Pirates of the Caribbean would do well next to the real Caribbean. When they received complaints from guests, about it not being there, they put it in.

There is good reading about the area at "widen your world" and how it has been transformed over the years.

I like the fact that when both sides of the line is open, no one ever goes to the left. We must have missed a ten minute line by going left, and walked right on. I notice that they do not always use both.

I don't know where I read this (to give credit) but did you know, there were two loading areas. The line to the left was it, but the load dock is now boarded over. You can still see were the two "rivers" merge, at the point were the boat stops for the final warning about your hands inside the boat. Now the boats only use one "lane".

I think it is stupid for Disney to rewrite history to fit into our "PC" world. Pirates raped and killed people. Disney made it fun and did not mean to put down women by showing them being chased.

Best part of the ride is the trio singing with the dog and donkey. I like the harmony from the fat one in the middle. If you listen closely or to the recordings, you will hear him sing out.
    Please keep hands and arms inside the boat at all times.

Post Thanks / Like

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bluecoat89:
    [QB]
    I don't know where I read this (to give credit) but did you know, there were two loading areas. The line to the left was it, but the load dock is now boarded over. You can still see were the two "rivers" merge, at the point were the boat stops for the final warning about your hands inside the boat. Now the boats only use one "lane".

QB]<hr></blockquote>

Yes, I remember when there were two loading areas. I read on a website (Sorry, don't remember where) the reason for the Pirates going to one loading area. The website with this info was written by a former JC and PotC Cast Member. He said that an old system use to run the two loading areas and that sometimes the system would let both boats go at the same time. This would cause the 2 boats to get stuck together at the merge point. A CM would then have to pull them apart. One day, a boy had stuck his hand into the water and the boats both met at the merge point at the same time. The boy lost one of his fingers. This is the reason WDW went to one loading area. I wish I could find this website again because it has some other great stories told from a Cast Member's point of view.

Now for the topic. PotC is classic Disney at its best. It is ashame that new attractions like this are scarce. I think the Disneyland version is perhaps Disney's greatest overall attraction ever. The WDW version, while not quite as good as the DL version, is still a great attraction.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

So- THAT is what changed! Only one loading area! I knew something was off on our last visit, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Do they not filter or change that water???? Gross! What about IASM? I bet that water is really YUCKY too! Ewwwww!!!!!

I bet that water has been there since the 1970's!!!! I probably spit in it when I was 3!

Anyway, in spite of the gross water, I love this ride! The hairy leg is one of my favorite parts! I also like the battle scene where the cannon ball blasts used to be.

Last time we rode it a CM had done something and our boat went off course. We had to unload on the ride and hike around the building. Whoops! Let me tell, ya', that was a LONG hike!

ºoº
    "One minute you're defending the whole galaxy, the next you find yourself sucking down Darjeeling with Marie Antoinette and her little sister."
    ~Buzz Lightyear, Space Ranger

Stationed in Dover, De, USA, but from Arkansas..Go Hogs
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Oh yea, this is definetlyl one of WDW's best. I never miss it. One of my favorite parts of the ride is before the ride. I love the parrot outside that talks ya into coming in. He's great. I also love "We wants the redhead!"

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Dewey - AKA-DisneyHog
    Proud member of U.S. Air Force
    1 Trip to DLP - Jul 2005
    21 Trips to WDW - 1985-2006
    Next trip-April/May 2007!

I Wish I Was In Disney World

GO HOGS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PeterPan:
    What blew me away when I first experienced this ride (way back in 1972) was JUST GETTING INTO THE RIDE was as fascinating as the ride itself. I was (and still am) fascinated with the fact that Disney (the Imagineers) were so attentive to detail and to the story from the minute you walk into the Plaza, under the huge patio area (and many of us remember when the lines at MK were so long, you actually had to wait in this area before ever getting thru the turnstyles!!!) and then into the passageways - seeming down into the dungeons of this Spanish Castillo. Amazing! Just WALKING IN was worth the price of the ticket. Yes, I remember handing the "E" ticket to the CM on the way in. In later years, we bought "Keys to the Kingdom" type tickets that you wore around your neck (anyone remember these) that allowed you onto all the rides. The Tickets were still in effect at this time. But that is really another subject...I just remember needing a ticket to get into Pirates. There is not a nook or cranny that I have not scrutinized - and I love every inch of this ride! It is great to think that it was one of the last rides that Walt had a hand in, too.

One more word....HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU GO TO THE MK AND NOT RIDE PIRATES? Someone please answer this question for me!
    <hr></blockquote>

PeterPan,
    I do remember and have pictures of my brother and I wearing the keys to the kingdom around our necks. i love POTC and will always. whenever my family and i went that was the first ride we alwasy rode. When we would pass by the auction scene, my dad would point out the "We wants the Red head" dialouge. And seeing how that i have red hair thought they wanted me. first couple of times i believed it and thought they REALLY wanted me. was a good joke. POTC, A Disney Classic at its best.
    ryan

Post Thanks / Like

This is a must, without doubt!
    We all love every minute of it, especially my ds who is 8 and also loves the pirates goodies in the gift shop.
    I can't pick a favorite bit, like haunted mansion i love every minute of it!
    Martin

Previous visits - 4 Off site, then
    Dec 2006 POFQ (Loved it!)
    Aug 2008 POFQ 14 Days
    Aug 2011 Saratoga Springs
    Sept 2015 Saratoga Springs - getting close now

When hinges creak, in doorless chambers. And strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.....

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: