Quantcast What attractions close in the rain?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Looks like it is going to be a rainy trip - fortunately most things are indoors but what does the rain close down?

I would imagine Test Track and BTMRR, but what else?

Thanks!
    Chris Miller

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Actually I have been on Thunder Mountain and Splah Mountain in the rain. I think the only ride that closes in the rain is Test Track.

Have a good trip.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was there last week, they had the Backlot Studio Tour closed because of rain. Fantasmic may close depending on how hard it's raining. More things close if there is a storm, which is then when Big Thunder, Splash, Dumbo, Magic Carpets, etc will close.
    When you wish upon a star...You get to go to Disney World
    Katie's Trips to Disney-
    WDW Trips: 245 times
    DL Trips: 4 times

Stopped counting since January 2012 when we moved to "the world"!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE5..._as=subscriber

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Florida rainstorms tend to last about 5-10 minutes usually, except in the summer. The nifty thing about them is that they are usually in just one place and you can walk right out from under it and it'll be sunny in front of you and pouring behind you. Thunderstorms though, more precautions have to be taken because the majority of the outdoor rides act as lightning rods and could create a safety hazard. Indoor rides don't present much of a problem though. It's during these thunderstorms that you could partake in a nice empty show since most people seek refuge in gift shops and restaurants during thunderstorms. [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Just complete a soggy seven day trip to DW. It rained, I mean poured every day and believe it or not the only rides and attractions that closed down were "Test Track,Fantasmic and the parades." Me and my family rode Dumbo, Aladdins Magic Carpet, Thunder Mountain, Primevil Whirl (Animal Kingdom)in pouring down rain. Even stayed in the pool at Blizzard Beach during one of the rain storms. (Never had a thunder an lightning storm). So either take ponchos or buy them at DW and don't let the rain stop you....because it didn't stop anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

We were at the parks 6/16 - 6/20. It rained everyday - especially on 6/17 and 6/18. Once we decided we would not melt we donned the ponchos and kept on trecking. MUST HAVE - 2nd pair of dry shoes. We kept walking in the rain and it actually felt good! We sat for 90 minutes in a downpour on 6/17, waiting for Fantasmic. So glad we did - Fantasmic was well worth it!

So go in the rain and enjoy. It is really fun and the lines sudddenly become nonexistent [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by nowickib:
    So either take ponchos or buy them at DW
    I would suggest buying them off-property, because if you buy them at WDW and you end up having to use them on a particularly crowded day, you can bet that about 500 other people will have the same ponchos and it can become very easy to lose someone.

Welcome to INTERCOT nowickib! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

[ June 28, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: DisneyFanaticDargon ]
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Closing by park.

MK
    Jungle Cruise (really bad storms only)
    Splash Mountain (bad storms only)
    BTMRR (seen it closed for light rain before)
    Dumbo
    Aladdin Carpet ride
    Tommorrowland Speed Way
    Fireworks
    Spectromagic
    Most Character greets

EPCOT
    Test Track
    Illuminations

MGM
    Backlot tour
    Indiana Jones
    Fantasmic

AK
    Kilamanjaro Safaris (probably only for bad storms)

I would recommend buying ponchos outside Disney. They can be had for under $4 each and are pretty decent. I won't wear ponchos anymore. I'd rather be soaked than soaked and smelly.

If anyone is there in the summer months, count on storms between 3pm and 6pm almost daily. And the storms can be a little bad sometimes. If the sky is turning grey and the temp is dropping with a breeze getting stronger, head for cover as fast as you can. It would be a good time to catch a bite to eat or to do some shopping. But, everyone else will have the same idea. Instead try getting into a show or a covered queue line for a ride.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, fireworks shows (except Fantasmic) go on rain or "shine". Outdoor Attractions close for Lightining Storms, and we've closed Speedway for torrential downpours, since the cars can hydroplane and hop track. Test Track closes for rain.
    It looks like it's going to be soggy week down here. Definitely bring 2 pairs of sneakers, umbrellas, and rainjackets. The nice thing though: the lines tend to get shorter during the rain, so if you don't mind getting wet, you probably won't have too long to wait. Plus, you can go on Splash Mountain, and Kali without worrying about getting too wet!
    "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes."<br /><br />"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and, SNAP! The job's a game!"

Post Thanks / Like

I can attest that the Tomorrowland Speedway (aka Indy 500 Speedway) does NOT close in the rain. I sat in an inch of water during a pelting rain so my son could do his regular ride. It was a time when I wished it did close!!! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Caribbean Beach - Jan 2008
    Off property - 2004
    Disneyland's Grand Californian - 2003
    Disney Wonder Cruise June 2002
    Boardwalk Inn, June 2002
    Disneyland Hotel - 1999
    All Star Sports - 1998
    All Star Music - 1996
    All Star Sports - 1995
    Dixie Landings - 1994
    Contemporary - 1980's

Post Thanks / Like

Test Track closes because of the high speed section. The rain actually hurts at 60 mph. But immediately after the rain is the absolute worst time to get back in line. People rush back to the line to meet with those who waited and the line quickly reaches over 2 hours long. My advice, go for the singles line or skip Test Track altogether.
    Wheezy<br />Live 15 minutes from Disney World<br /><br />"As a matter of fact, I feel a song coming coming on"-Wheezy

Post Thanks / Like

How close does the lightning have to be for the rides to close?

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that for Test Track to close, there had to be lightning anyplace within a 5 mile radius.
    Jules<br /><br />**12 Times and Counting!**<br />Next Trip: August 23rd!!<br /><br />It's a zip-a-dee-do-dah TIP FOR TODAY!!<br /><br />**Remember yesterday, embrace today, look forward to tomorrow**<br /><br />5/10/02

Post Thanks / Like

For outdoor attractions to close, there has to be lightining within a certain mile radius (can't remember the number right now.) But Test Track will close in the rain because of the high speeds, and out door track. Doesn't make for a very safe situation. That and the rain hitting your face at over 50 mph isn't very pleasant either!

[ July 03, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: T-Land Gal ]
    "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes."<br /><br />"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and, SNAP! The job's a game!"

Post Thanks / Like

Test track will close in the rain and if there is a thunder/lighting storm with in like 4 miles of the park.
    First Trip: 1990 Fort Wilderness Campground
    1990-2006: Annual Pass Holder
    2002: Spring WDW College Program
    2005: First Disneyland Trip
    2007: Double Tree Suites DTD
    Engagement Trip
    11/6/2007 - 11/13/09 Regal Sun Resort DTD
    Next Trip
    Honeymoon
    9/1/09 - 9/10/09 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I know for a fact that Fantasmic won't close just for rain. There has to be lightning in the vicinity for them to close it. Just keep in mind, if there are storms, you may not get to see a show or you may have to see an abreviated version. I've actually witnessed stage managers getting boos from the audience for cancelling a show during a bad storm. Just remember they are doing this for your safety and the safety of their cast.
    Walt Disney World Entertainment

Participating in the Walt Disney World Marathon...see my homepage for info!

Post Thanks / Like

Was anyone there around 93 or 94 when lightening hit the barges out in the lake?
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Last number i heard about the lightning, was 5-10 i think! ( [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] ) I heard water parks are 10 and they start taking more precautions and the others are 5.

[ July 05, 2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Figaro ]
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

This isn't rain, but it is weather related:

The Tapestry of Dreams parade in Epcot WILL NOT be held if there is even a sign of a stiff breeze. We tried to catch it three times with no luck, because of the wind (besides that, the skies were clear). I swear, the last time, the breeze was not even enough to make my hair move!
    I was dissapointed, but understood - it's for the safety of the performers (and on lookers) b/c wind could totally pick up those puppets! But I still would have loved to see this parade last trip.
    So try to catch the parade if you can (I heard it's more likely to be held in the rain than wind), but if it is windy at all, don't count on it!
    Scarlett (DisneyScarlie, UNC student, Claytonia's sister, WDW fanatic)<br /><br />NEXT TRIP: May 17-24 2002 - Port Orleans Riverside :)<br /><br />------<br />"What would her father say? I'll tell you what her father'd say, he'd say he's gonna kill himself a CRAB that's what her father'd say!!!"<br />Sebastian - "The Little Mermaid"<br /><br />"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." -Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: