Quantcast Leave at night or morning?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

On our trip in June '01, we left at 7:30 P.M and arrived in Orlando around 7:00 A.M. I don't that we need to do this on our next trip. Of course, we didn't do anything but hang around the pool and go to sleep early because we were exhausted.

On the other hand, we could leave at 7:00 A.M. and get there probably around 9:00 P.M.

What should I do? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    -Devin
    ROLL TIDE!!!
    "Celebrate The Future Hand In Hand"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Me, personally, I don't like arriving at night. It just that, I'm all excited when I get to "the world" and I want to do everything right away. When its night time, you have to go to bed, and can't do anything.

We had a 7:00pm flight from Hartford-Orlando last trip, arriving in Orlando around 10 'ish. This really did not work for us. It was just too late, and we were exhausted. I, of course, was up at dawn the next day, but everyone else was just so tired from traveling, I had to really make a fuss to get them out of bed.

So, in short, I wouldn't try to get there very early, or very late. I think the early afternoon would be the optimum arrival time I would like. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm not sure if thats possible from AL.
    <b>Eddy</b> <br /><br /><i>"Remember the Magic"</i> <br /><br /><i><b>*Happy Holidays!*</b></i><br /><br /><b>Next up:</b><br /><i>All Star Sports</i>-<b>February 2003</b><br /><br /><b>12</b> weeks and counting!<br /><br /><b><i>"We Go On"</i></b>

Post Thanks / Like

Oh to only have a 12 hour drive! It took DH and I 22 hours this past October. My vote would be to leave in the morning, take you time getting down there, stop for dinner during rush-hour traffic, etc. If I arrived at 9pm I would check-in to the hotel, have a swim and sleep so I would be refredhed and ready to start a whole Disney day the following morning.

Besides, If you were not to leave until 7pm what would you be doing all day? I would be sitting at home in anticipation for the trip! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I guess we could leave at the break of dawn and get to the resort around 7 or 8 at night. I could take in a cool swim and some exploring around Riverside before sleeptime. I heard it was very lush and open. What do you think? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    -Devin
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably opt for leaving around 4 in the a.m. I know I'm going to be tired when I arrive but if I can get a couple of hours to unwind and a good night's sleep, I'd be all set for the rest of my vacation.

Have fun!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We always fly. Nonetheless, traveling can be exhausting. We decided to try arriving later in the day on our trip this year.

We got to WDW at 5 PM. It worked out great. We checked-in, got settled, had a nice dinner at Boma and strolled around the resort. We were able to get a good night's sleep and start our first Park day the following morning fresh.

We plan on doing the same thing next year. In years past we would arrive around 10 AM and do a full day at the Parks. It is very tiresome, even with that burst of Disney adrenaline.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking a night arrival would give you time to rest and recover from the long drive, and then you'd be fresh for the next morning.

(I had a funny experience reading your post - I didn't realize you were driving and so thought you were flying from Europe or somewhere. And then I saw Arab, AL and for a second thought you were from Saudi Arabia! Quite a different place from Alabama, I'm thinking. )
    "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I had the same thought of Mary M... But since I will be flying from Brazil I will have the same problem you have. But I do not have another option.

My plane leaves at 11pm, stops in Miami at 4:30am, change planes and arrive at Orlando around 8am. So I think the best for everyone in my party is to take the day off, walk around the resort, go have lunch at Downtown Disney and stroll alonf the Marketplace. Go to bed early and get batteries re-charged to hit the parks in the morning. But again this will be what I will have to do specially if travelling with kids, like I am.

Another thing to consider is that if you arrive mid morning, until you settle and everything you will hit the parks only in the afternoon and if you are usinga hopper you will waist a full day in a half day ...
    Just a thought.

Have fun and enjoy to the max! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Dani38
    1980 - Contemporay
    1989 - Off Site
    1991 - Off Site
    1998 - Off-Site (Vistana)
    2003 - All Star Music (Jan-10 days)
    2003 - Off Site (June-10 days)
    2004 - All Star Movies (Jan-10 days)
    2007 - January - Being planned

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

By MaryM:And then I saw Arab, AL and for a second thought you were from Saudi Arabia! Quite a different place from Alabama, I'm thinking. )
    How funny. [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] The name is actually pronounce "A"rab instead of "Air"rab. The town has no relation to Saudi Arabia. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

My idea is to leave at about five or six in the morning and arrive at the resort after dinner time. This would give us enough time to look around and give us a good night sleep. [img]smile.gif[/img] The next day we would wake up fresh and with a full day at the parks. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] Now if there was only a code for the resort. It would be so great.
    -Devin
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We almost always catch the first flight out, usually at 6:20AM. We are walking into our WDW resort by 9AM and have an entire day of excitement ahead of us. We spend the day in the parks and then return early to the resort and get an early night's sleep.

Post Thanks / Like

We like to head out early early morning about 4ish and arrive about abt 2pm. And relax that afternoon and eve
    ~~The Brat~~

Adults are obsolete children. -- Dr. Seuss
    In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul.
    My reality has become warped!

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 14 hour drive. What I started doing after we had kids was to leave after I got off work on friday night about 6:30. I would then drive until tired usually until 12 or 1. We will then get a hotel and sleep till 8 or so. That will give us a 7 or 8 hour drive left so we arrive about 4. We can the go to DD or hang out at the hotel -- usually a nice relaxed dinner is in the plan.

Works for us -- at least the last fout times

64 days till WL

Thanks

Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I am against anyone trying to drive through the night, the reason being it is to dangerous IMHO. Plus you arrive totally exhausted so that next day is shot.
    If you are not limited time wise, have you thought of driving 2/3ds of the way then stopping for the night then get an early start the next morning?
    If you can't do that then I'd opt to leave as early in the morning as possible then check in and get a good rest for the next day.

Good luck in your planning and be sure to let us know what you decide on! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "A mouse named Mortimer would be too pretentious" ~Mrs. Walt Disney~ <br /><br />Six Trips Down..... <br />Many More To GO!!!<br /><br />August 2002 Downtown Disney Hilton<br />*****<br />September 2002 Off Site (Tampa)<br />*****<br />October 2002 <br />MNSSHP<br />Off Site, Downtown Disney and finally, on-site Animal Kingdom Lodge! <br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />December 2002<br />MVMCP/CP<br />Off Site <br />Kissimmee<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />April 2003<br />Birthday Trip Off Site Kissimme<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />August-September 2003 <br />Off Site Kissimmee

Post Thanks / Like

We'll probably leave very early in the morning and arrive late. That way we're not totally exhausted. I can see it now: my family taking the exit ramp to POR and driving under the WDW arch. [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] Yay! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    -Devin
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think the day driving is the best option and you are making the right choice. For the 12 hour drive it is a waste to do it over night and kill your first day with the dead feeling. Get up early and go go go. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Betsy
    Off Site 1981,
    Shades of Green 1996, 2006, 2012
    Coronado Springs 2000,
    Contemporary (SoG) 2002 & 2003,
    Yacht and Beach/Animal Kingdom 2003, 2006
    Boardwalk 2005 & 2008,
    Wilderness Lodge 2009,
    Disney Fantasy 2012,
    Pop Century 2014
    Wilderness Cabins 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We do the day time driving. We usually leave around 5, 5:30 a.m. and drive through stopping for comfort breaks and lunch. It takes about 11 hours for our drive. We get to the WDW resort around 4 p.m. eastern time. I feel fresher in the morning after about 6-7 hours sleep and then driving straight through is no problem.

And another note. We bought one of the TV/VCRs for the van and bring some tapes to play to help the kids pass the time. It works out great. And on the trip home, I hook up the camcorder to the TV and then they can watch our vacation on the ride home.

Have a great trip.
    ROBERT

PROUD FATHER OF A DAUGHTER FIGHTING AND BEATING LEUKEMIA. PROUD FATHER OF A GREAT SON EXCELLING IN ALL HE DOES. PROUD HUSBAND OF THE BEST AND MOST SUPPORTIVE WIFE A MAN COULD HAVE.

HURRICANE KATRINA SURVIVOR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: