Quantcast First night

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: First night

Post Thanks / Like

We will be arriving in Orlando on Saturday,May 4 around 2:00pm. I planned on spending the afternoon checking into our hotel, swimming and shopping for some food. (we are staying off site at a villa in Marriott's Royal Palm). We were thinking of going to downtown disney for dinner on our first night, but the only places that take reservations are Fulton's Crab House (too expensive) and the Rainforest Cafe (we live close to the one in NY and have been there so many times). With 12 people on a Saturday night, I don't think we should try to "just get in" somewhere. Any suggestions? [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Kathy

Next Trip Nov. 3-Nov. 12 private villa
    Nov 2005 off property
    May 2003 off property
    May 2002 off property
    June 1982 off property
    June 1973 Contemporary

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you you don't have to eat in DD, you might try TGIFriday's. It is in the Crossroads Shopping center which is very close to DD.
    Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Howdie do again to you,

Yes, it's me from your last post. I have no flights today and I'm rattling off on this old board. TGI-Friday's at the Crossroads is a great place for a party that size. It's only about 2-miles from your hotel and the area is safe but busy. The restaurant if you are not fam. is like Applebees, Chilis, Outback and such. It's located right in the Crossroad's Plaza which is behind the McDonalds. It's a nice place for both adult and kids. The Saturday night that you have chosen should be ok for crowds(typical). We go there every Easter break and have been there on Friday and Saturday eves with no problems being seated(a brief wait of 20-minutes or so).

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to get into the disney feel of things, Ohana's at the Polynesian resort is great. You can go to the MK (but not go in) and take the monorail. The food is awesome, you get a great view of the castle and the kids have a great time with hoola hoops and coconut racing [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Mar.99,00,01,02-Dixie Landings Resort; Jan,2004 (9th-18th)- First DVC trip, Beach Club Villas; April,2005 7 days Boardwalk Villas and first Disney cruise on the Wonder!; June, 2006- First time on the Disney Magic, can't wait!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions--I am interested in O'Hana's--we have so many TGI Friday's in my area that it doesn't seem special enough...

Do we have to use one of our park day passes to just go for a meal?

How is the food for picky children?
    Kathy

Next Trip Nov. 3-Nov. 12 private villa
    Nov 2005 off property
    May 2003 off property
    May 2002 off property
    June 1982 off property
    June 1973 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

O'Hana's is a restaurant located within in the Poly. You do not need to use a park ticket to eat there. You also do not need to go to the MK to get there.

You should be able to drive right to the Poly. I understand you will be provided with a 3 hour parking pass to accommodate your dining plans.

If you are relying on Disney transportation, the Poly is just a short walk from the T&TC or you can take the monorail from the T&TC.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You could also do a character meal at the Contemporary. You can make reservations and it would be a great Disney start as well. [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Happy vacationer.

Chef Mickey's is a great way to start a WDW vacation. The characters cavort, the buffet is delicious and you could go up to the obsrvation deck at the California Grill and watch the MK fireworks!
    ~MadHatter~<br /><br />Aug '74 Poly<br />Jan '86 (New Years) Offsite<br />Jul '90 Offsite<br />Mar '98 Dixie Landings<br />Nov '01 All-Star Movies<br />Aug '05 Family Reunion - Fort Wilderness cabins

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Any of the resort restaurants would be great. Don't want to sound like a broken record, but Trails End at Ft. Wilderness has a great buffet, roomy and informal setting. Can you tell it is my favorite???? [img]graemlins/tasty.gif[/img]
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Here's where it's at...

Get a priority seating at Portobello Yacht Club on Pleasure Island. It's a really nice place with wonderful food. You don't have to pay admission to PI to go there. This is one of my favorite restaurants at WDW!
    07/94 Disneyland Paris
    03/99 Offsite
    03/00 FW Campground/AS Movies
    01/01 Caribbean Beach
    03/02 WDW Dolphin
    04/15 Grand Floridian
    01/19 Sheraton Vistana Villages

MnDloveDisney Guest

I would second Jillpie's recommendation to go to OHana at the Poly. The food is served at your table in a sort of family style, with the appetizers/sides placed on a lazy susan in the center (salad, rice, stickey wings, dips for the meat, stir frield veggies). Then, they bring skewers of grilled meat (pork, turkey, shrimp and beef) around and serve each person. The food is excellent! Plus they have fun games for the kids and a neat snowcone dessert served in a sand pail that would be fun for the kids to share.

I would highly recommend it!

Post Thanks / Like

Make that three recommendations for O'Hanas!!!!!

It's the perfect spot for a big group of people. As stated, they serve the food family style, all you can eat. The food is yummy.

Since you're arriving on a Saturday, it's almost a cinch that there will be fireworks that night. Check to make sure and if so, make your PS for around 1/2 hour before the fireworks start, and plan to get to restaurant a good 15-20 before your ressies. Ask for a table by the window.... you may not get it, but it's worth it to ask.

Have a great time!
    Bouncy, flouncy, pouncy! Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary is what we did for our first night. It was a blast! The kids were kind of ancy (sp?) after traveling and this was a great place. They got to get up out of their seats and be a part of a parade led by Chef Mickey , Donald Duck, Minnie etc! It was a great way to get into "Disney mode"! The food is buffet style and was very good.

Lisa

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: