Quantcast kids on leash ??? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Bmwdsny:
    Ha Ha, this is a funny topic but very important indeed. This reminds me when my hubby and i were first married, before we had kids, we used to cringed when we see parents with their kids on harness and that we would "never" do that to our kids, since we felt leashes are for dogs NOT children!!!! Well, Never say never!!! My son was very active and curious and i used it few times at WDW and other parks because he was never afraid to talk to strangers and i was scared to death that if i even look away a second, he is off among the crowds!! With crazy people going on in the world, this was the safest bet and i ask GOD to forgave me for making crude comments to all the parents in the very beginning. Remember, children are the most precious creatures on earth and don't let others ever cloud your judgement on something that may be best for your child's safety. have fun!!
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to evaluate the idea of a harness based on the need of the your child. Like you said, your dd won't hold your hand and at 18mo they can be quite curious. I admit to using a wrist 'leash' and this worked out well for our dd in Disney when she was about that age.
    My only caution is that these devices can cause a sense of false security and have been know to be cut by child predators.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fine IF your child is OK with it and doesn't make it worse, like some of the above examples.

I admit that I do have an issue with older children being on them. By a certain age (3? 4?) children should most CERTAINLY be able to stay with parents and hold their hands. Of course, that's not the reality in some families. We had no problems with our 3 y/o and just-turned 5 y/o on our recent trip-- but we saw several 4 & 5 y/os on the leashes and they were running wild.

And sure, you could MAKE her hold your hand. But it wouldn't make for a very fun vacation if she strated throwing a temper tantrum every 4 minutes. Yes, we have to teach our children how to behave, but I don't think WDW is the place to do it. And your dd is too young to "get it" yet.

So yeah, go for it! Let us know how it goes. We want to go back in May and our dd will be 19 months.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

Last year when we were at WDW with our just 2 year old we used the harness. The one we had went as either the full body harness or on just the hand. At first we weren't sure about it as you are, and our 2 year old doesn't always like to hold our hand either.

We didn't end up using it a whole lot, but it was a nice break from him riding in the stroller. He loved the freedom it gave. We mostly used it only on his hand. We did see several people there using them. We did not use it in an overly crowded area, kept him in the stroller then. But when there was an open area he got to roam, and while going on rides and waiting in line.

It is great for little ones to get some freedom. He will be almost 3 when we go in a month and will probably have it along. He is getting older and more able to stay with us, but he will still wander. We also have a 5 year old and a 7 year old.

I say go for it, it can be quite helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My son is 8yo and autistic. He weighs 75lbs, is nonverbal and quite stong. He knows no danger and has the understanding of a 1 yr old--we use a harness AND a special adult size stroller AND as many adult hands as we can get to help when we go to WDW. All the "training" in the world would not change the facts--this child would go off with any stranger who showed him ice cream and would never even notice me calling his name.

Definitely get the harness--and anything else that makes you feel safer in a crowd with your child. Disney world was made for kids, but kids can easily get lost or hurt if they get away from you. You know how easily it can happen (and any parent who hasn't had it happen YET, well, just wait...) I doubt anybody will say anything about it and if they do, well, you'll probably never see them again anyway. Do whatever it takes for you o relax and have a great time!

Cathy--mom to Christian, the Amazing Wonder Boy, 8

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by auroradawn:
    My son is 8yo and autistic. He weighs 75lbs, is nonverbal and quite stong. He knows no danger and has the understanding of a 1 yr old--we use a harness AND a special adult size stroller AND as many adult hands as we can get to help when we go to WDW.
    I understand exactly what you mean. My husband's cousin has a little boy that is autistic. He is almost 13 and has a tendency to run off. As much as we love him he is a serious handful, so I can completely understand using a leash while in a populated area like WDW. You are a very strong woman to be raising an autistic child and I hope you get all of the help you need to take care of him, I have learned how hard it can be. Although it isn't easy they are some of the most wonderful children I have ever seen and as sweet as can be. I have a child that is almost 3 that is very well behaved (most of the time [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and he gets nervous when there are alot of people around so he sticks very close to me, my husband, and his 13 year old brother. I guess that is the reason I don't see a need to use a leash with him. Neither him nor my oldest son has ever been real big on running off, unless they knew I was chasing them and they were trying to play a game. I do feel that you have to do whatever it takes to make yourself feel comfortable and safe, and if that is a leash then so be it.
    2-01 POFQ<br />8-01 offsite<br />1-04 Pop Century<br />4-05 Wilderness Lodge<br />6-05 POFQ<br /><br /> Tomorrow I will be at Disney Again!! I love having annual passes!!

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, I have no problem with leashes for kids. Having twins, they were a God-send when they were smaller on walks if there was just one parent or at the airport when you had to check the stroller and walk from check in to the concourse.

That said, I have to caution you that leashes can be a problem when an area is crowded. The kids can easily trip up other people or become tangled up themselves. I think using them just for parades or lines (as someone else suggested) would keep this problem to a minimum.

Good luck!

Holly
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, first of all, if you try and keep an active toddler in a stroller all day, you will have one miserable kid. We just got back from Disney the other day. DS is 16 months. We keep him in the stroller as much as possible, for easy of getting around, but every once in a while he really does need to stretch his little legs.

Anyway, to answer your question, YES we used the leash. I never thought I would use one until I had DS, but I love him too much to put him in any danger. Frankly, it's not so much him running around loose that worries me -- it's the fact that someone might take him. If he is connected to me by more than just his little hand, then I feel more secure about keeping him by my side. But, that's just me

Post Thanks / Like

If you and your family are OK with using the harness don't worry what other people think. Your family's safety should come first. I have never used one but think in the right situation the harness is the way to go. Good Luck. Have Fun
    May 2004 Pop Century<br />Sept 2000 Port Orleans<br />Sept 1997 Allstar Sport<br />1989 Offsite<br />1984 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would not use one on my children. That does not mean I think less of those who do, it is a decision a parent makes knowing their own child.
    My dh and I each have one child. Lucky, we are not having anymore because we would be outnumbered. DH usually picks the younger one because he can throw him onto his shoulders.
    My 2 yr old knows, either hold mommys/daddys hand or in the stroller and given the choice he has no problem holding my hand.
    My 4 yr old knows to stay with us and I do not worry but I still bring an umbrella stroller for him at the park.
    If you feel more secure with the harness and will help from worrying than use it. Believe me I can understand. On our first trip I wrote our names and cell phone number and put it in my sons pocket because if something did happen he could not tell them his name or our name.
    July 1997
    March 2003
    January /February 2004
    January/ February 2005
    February 2006
    May 2007
    GOING Febraury 2008 staying at POP

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back and the crowds were tremendous. I definitely would recommend some kind of leash and I saw other people using them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for the leash. Some parents will criticize your decision. Just like some parents feel that it's wrong for me and my wife to put our child outside in the doghouse, or let her eat out of a dish on the floor. If I choose not to afford my child the dignity of her humanity it's my decision. It's your child.
    --<br />2003 ASMo<br />2004 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

"Dignity of humanity" tends to be lost on a child who thinks the parents have disppeared forever (which they will easily think at 18 months) and can see nothing but a sea of strangers'legs. If you've been around long enough to understand how easily a small child can get lost no matter how careful you try to be, you can understand the safety issue involved.

After more than 50 years, I can still remember the feeling of terror when I got separated from my mother in a grocery store as a toddler.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

well,well,well lets all be nice now. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] I never intended to start a heated debate. The debate was between my dh and myself. Anyway...I bought a little harness today and I tried it out in the store and she had a huge smile on her face the entire time. Its short so she was pretty close to me the entire time but she was walking proud as a peacock strutting her stuff around the store. It was so cute to watch. As far as disney goes we may not be able to use it that much because of the crowds etc. I figure we will be carrying her alot but thats ok too. 13 days to go! Thanks to all the positive and helpful responses [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Carol (44) AKA Merrymouse mom to dd 14, ds 12, dd 8, dh 46
    2010 Nov 11-17 POR
    2006 Sept 21-27 POR
    2004 Jan 20-26 GF
    1981 Offsite

piget Guest

Good for you - I am glad it is working out!!!!

Maybe it would help some people to stop thinking of it as a "leash" which is a restraint for pets - and just think of it as a safety harness for a child - safety is the most important thing...you do whatever is needed - and what is comfortable for you and the child - to ensure the safety of that child!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Piget.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Merrymouse, just a lil story for ya [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have a very well behaved DD who for the most part will hold my hand and stay nearby.. shes always been that way. But, Im very cautious about what "might" happen in a crowd...
    When we went to Disney two years ago (she was 2 1/2 at the time), I bought the harness.. I went to walmart, but couldnt find them, so I asked the old woman working where to find them.. She gave me a snide look, walked me over to them, and sarcastically said "we dont sell many of these", kinda like I was buying it so I didnt have to watch my kid or maybe she figured it was cruel.. I just looked at her and said "we're going to Disney world, there's going to be at least 30K people there, and I want to make sure she's safe".. Her attitude changed and with a smile said "thats a great idea"..

The one that I bought was the chest harness.. Bright red... cant miss it.. First thing we discovered was that its REALLY Great for putting disney pins on.. Alyssa loved it.. it provided a backing to put the pins into, without the metal fasteners directly against her skin. It also caught the CM's attention a lot, and they gave her many pins to add to them. By the time the trip was done, she had the entire thing covered with the pins.. Never once did she complain.

We will be returning to Disney next month and she's already asked if she can wear her "Pin Vest".. We tried it on, sure enough it still fits.. So, you can rest assure, we'll be wearing it again.. IF other parents don't like it, tuff. If nothing else, its a piece of mind to me for her safety.
    02/02 - All Star Music
    02/04 - Contemporary Resort
    09/20/2009 Very Late Honeymoon @ All Star Music

Next trip: 06/08 -06/16/2014 at Shades of Green and The Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

I felt the same way prior to my family's most recent visit to DW with my 23 month old. Since I felt awkward about the harness, however still wanted to make sure she was safe when she was walking, I purchased a "leash" that attaches to the chilld and the parents wrists ($5.95). I brought it with me, but never ended up having to use it. I did feel good that I had it in case I needed it. I would suggest bringing one with you so you'll have it if you need it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: