Quantcast Day 5: Extra magic hour, Magic Kingdom, and Keys to the Kingdom tour

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Day 5

Today was one more of those early wake-ups, but it was going to be worth it. I slouched around the resort for a few minutes slowly reviving myself; there’s nothing like being a walking zombie in the morning while getting passed by up and alert joggers. [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] They are just rubbing it in that they were awake and I was struggling to survive.

I eventually woke up and grabbed a bus to the Magic Kingdom for an extra magic hour. I arrived before the gates opened and there was a surprisingly low amount of people waiting! When the turnstiles opened I made my way to Fantasyland since I had yet to experience any of the attractions there. First, of course, was Peter Pan that had been having 70-minute waits all week. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] Is it really worth a 70-minute wait? I don’t think so. It is worth a 0 minute wait as I was the first guest on Peter Pan for the day. My flight to Neverland ended and I made my way to Snow White’s Scary Adventures followed by It’s a Small World (I know, I know). Winnie the Pooh wasn’t open so that was out of the question, but there was plenty to do in Tomorrowland. I was able to get in a spin on Buzz Lightyear and Astro Orbiter before having to head up to City Hall.

It was time. [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img] My Keys to the Kingdom tour was about to start. It was a small group, only five others besides me. Our tour guide was Mary, and she was the best I could have asked for. Now, I’m going to go in depth about the tour and what we did so if you don’t want to read, finish this paragraph and scroll way down to the stars. I must say, though, that this is a very personal tour and I highly doubt my experience will match what people have done in the past and what you will do if you take it in the future. As I learned from Mary, the tour guide gets to decide what to talk about, really, as they have very loose guidelines. Therefore, I would definitely not consider my report a “spoiler” seeing as I do not intend to spoil anything – it was a unique experience that will differ from yours. On top of that I don’t want to spend more hours writing this report. [img]graemlins/sleepin.gif[/img]

That being said (or preached, however you perceived it), we started down Main Street after introducing ourselves. Mary explained to us the four keys, if you will: Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency (in that order). These are the keys that Disney uses for creating and operating their theme parks. While on Main Street we took the time to point out examples of each. My favorite was that Main Street is really a very long but slight incline uphill to the castle. She explained that this was an intentional design for courtesy; when guests arrive they are so excited to get to the castle and the hub that they don’t realize they are walking uphill. However, at night, when they are tired and sore, it is a courtesy to them to be walking downhill. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img] Also, how all of the Main Street doors are open for guests to enter. This proves that courtesy is above efficiency, since air conditioning is being wasted for the convenience of the guests.

From Main Street we walked to Adventureland and Mary explained “ticklers” to us. These are techniques used to make a smooth transition from one land to another. Landscaping design, the positioning of the music, coloring on adjacent buildings…etc. We sat in Adventureland for a while and she talked about Walt’s life, dream, and ambitions for the park. Following that we proceeded to the Jungle Cruise where we skipped the line and got our own boat. This was a very unique experience since the Skipper didn’t say anything the entire boat ride! Our tour guide was pointing things out and showing us secrets about the attraction and why Walt loved it. When we entered the cave she popped the lights on to show details and particulars, and a hidden Mickey or two.
    Casey (aka DisneyWizard, Wizzy)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

After the Jungle Cruise we talked a little bit more on Adventureland before taking a short break. Following the break was our first backstage look. Mary explained how each backstage entrance has a buffer so the guests will never see backstage from their perspective. We entered backstage via the Frontierland parade starting/ending point. While back there, we talked extensively about entertainment, parades in particular. We took long looks at the Spectromagic and Share a Dream Come True floats and I even got to sit in the Ursula float for Spectro! After the parade talk we moved on over to the trash system followed by the Splash Mountain reservoir.

Following our backstage look we headed on over to Liberty Square. Before riding anything Mary first spoke about how Liberty Square was one of the best examples of the extreme detail put into the park. Things like loose hinges, the “river” in the center of the road and its importance, symbolic figures, outside resemblances…many fun facts to learn. We skipped the line for the Haunted Mansion and entered the stretching rooms via backstage area. Before the ride Mary told us about some hidden things to look out for so it was a unique experience.

After the Haunted Mansion we ate at the Columbia Harbor House and I got to know some of my fellow tour-mates. The two other ladies at my table had a very interesting reason as to why they were taking the tour. The younger lady had cancer that she had been fighting for a few months. When they faxed Disney her information (I can’t remember to where, however) for her medications and special needs, they apparently sent back two three-day park hopper passes! They were telling me that because they had the complimentary tickets they were able to afford the tour. I thought that was a great reason for taking it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

After the meal we walked down Main Street once more and noticed more quickly hidden examples of the keys. My favorite backstage aspect that we kept running into was the “go-away” green color that Kodak developed for the park. (Since many of you probably haven’t noticed it before unless you’ve taken the tour, e-mail me if you want to know more. I’d be happy to explain it.) We entered another buffer zone from within the Emporium and went backstage once again. In the back of the Emporium we talked about food and merchandise (or merchantainment, as they like to call it) throughout the park. Before we left we took a look backstage at the Jungle Cruise. Surprisingly, the backstage area can actually be seen from the ride! However, the eye is always drawn to the animatronics or whatever is on show so this isn’t ever considered a problem.

We left, upstairs, into the offices above Min Street. That is where we talked about the central areas of the Utilidoors, Cast Members, hair and makeup for Entertainment (animatronics have real human hair wigs and real-life characters have synthetic – I wasn’t very surprised since I knew how much human hair wigs cost!), and more examples of the keys. That is also where we talked a lot about Roy Disney and how he is under appreciated. After a brief tour of the upstairs offices, we went down into the Utilidoors! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

Immediately when we arrived we saw Tweedle-Dee and Bashful’s “friends” walking with their complete costumes (attire that rests above their necks, if you will, in their hands and their “clothes” hanging on their backs); very fun experience for us guests. We took a look around the Main Street Utilidoors and talked about those for a while. Afterwards we arrived up on the other side of Main Street and discussed Tinkerbell and her flight (we could see her landing spot from backstage), Tomorrowland, the fireworks, and of course loads of more fun backstage information (such as Mary’s distaste for the Orlando Sentinel).

It was almost time to finish so we went back to City Hall and Mary told us just a few more tidbits and stories. Afterwards, we split up and I was free to roam the Magic Kingdom how I wanted. I went on over to Adventureland and re-looked at some of the details that were previously pointed out to me – I couldn’t believe I had never noticed them before. I experienced the Enchanted Tiki Room and Pirates of the Caribbean. It was almost time for the Share a Dream Come True parade and even though I’m not a daytime parade person I wanted to see Maleficent. I didn’t get to see her in the parade the last time I saw it (during the 100 Years of Magic Celebration) so I had to take the opportunity now. Well here comes the Villains float and guess who’s missing? I was not a happy camper.

I got over my trauma with Maleficent and went to see the Hall of Presidents. I haven’t seen this attraction for a few years so I was pretty excited. I enjoyed it – it left me with a very patriotic feeling. I think I prefer the American Adventure, however, since it has a nicer theatre. After my salute to America I re-rode the Haunted Mansion before leaving the park to take a mid-day break.

At Coronado Springs I just quickly grabbed something small to snack on and called to make a priority seating arrangement for Cinderella’s Castle. The CM said there wasn’t anything available until the following day. Hmmm… I thought that was fishy since it was a Sunday, there was only one of me (which means I only take up a two person table and I will finish quickly), and it was for dinner before the fireworks rush. Oh well.

I left for the Magic Kingdom again and immediately went to Cinderella’s Castle to see if they had any openings. They had tons. I got right in and had a great meal. I had the prime rib and chocolate mousse for dessert. Very good selection even if the service was only sub-par. Afterwards I grabbed a seat in the Country Bear Jamboree and loved every minute of it. The audience was very reactive and everyone seemed to be having a good time. That always makes for a better experience. [img]graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

It was time for Spectromagic to begin and since I wasn’t able to see it earlier in the week I wanted to watch it this time. Surprisingly I saw two familiar CMs working the parade route! One from custodial and one from Splash Mountain – even more surprising was that they were talking to each other! [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img] I joined in and we watched the parade together when it started.

After the parade I did my usual Frontierland nighttime experience for during the fireworks (they were just about to start since I was in Frontierland – the parade obviously takes longer to get there than it does to Main Street USA). First was Splash Mountain (the fireworks had started by the time I dropped down the flume) followed by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

The park being closed I was forced back to Coronado Springs. I didn’t want to leave – this day was so magical I wanted to stay. But alas, all good things must end (whoever made that saying should be hurt). I stayed up to watch Conan O’Brien and then fell asleep.

Tips for the day:
    </font>
    • My only tip for the day is to take the Keys to the Kingdom tour. If you like stories about Walter E Disney, his dreams, his beliefs, and his park, you would love this tour. I’m sure it depends on your tour guide as to how good the experience is, but my tour guide was wonderful as you can probably tell. I can honestly say the tour was well worth the high cost.</font>
    Casey (aka DisneyWizard, Wizzy)

Post Thanks / Like

The Keys to the Kingdom is on my must do list. However, my youngest son is not old enough. Oh well ....

I'm sorry you missed Maleficent again. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] Nonetheless it sounds like an awesome Magic Kingdom day.

Thanks for the tour details, Casey.
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

The tour you took today just sounds like so much fun. In 3 years we can start taking these tours and I look forward to it. Thanks for your wonderfully detailed report. Sounds like a fabulous day from start to finish. Thanks for sharing.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a great tour, I'm definately going to take it someday! Might have to convince my two friends that we should do this in September.

Thanks for such a great day Casey, felt like I was right there walking through Magic Kingdom with you! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Great report Casey. Excellent details. Thanks for the tour review - sounds like a must as soon as my DD hits 16.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Excellent report, Casey! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] The tour sounds great...I definitley want to do that on my next trip. Thanks for all the info.! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

What a fabulous report! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Thanks for sharing all the details of your tour, can't wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate something like that....
    1974, 75, 77, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 85, 87 - Contemporary
    1991 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1993, 1995 - Polynesian
    2000 - Dixie Landings
    2004 - Contemporary
    2004 - Wilderness Lodge
    2005 - Contemporary
    2006 - 7-night DCL
    2009 - Polynesian
    2011 - Disneyland, CA
    2012 - Polynesican + 7-night DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Casey, I'm glad you took the Tour! And you're so lucky to have such a small group. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] (We had a group of about 20.)

Sounds like another great day for you. Thanks again for the terrific reports. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Casey, you have definitely convincd me to put this tour on my must-do list!

Sounds like a terrific day! Dining in the Castle is a must for every trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, your Keys experience was quite different from mine, and I loved mine too! We rode TTA, HM (through the special entrance and got to stay in the stretching room twice through), and Pirates.

May have to do this again, just to see the differences!

Thanks for the report on your magical day!
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day, Casey! I couldn't help but tear up when you told us about the free tix Disney sent the lady fighting Cancer. That's truly magical. (**Secret pixie dust for her!**)

Your tour sounds fantastic! And who would those cast members you recognized be...??? [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Barbie ºoº
    Married to: Golf Grumpy
    DVC owners at BCV and SSR

...and then they made me their Chief.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your behind the scenes stuff Casey. I did this tour in 1997 and our group was large and the guide was not very good. As a matter of fact,I don't think we did anything that you did (back then lunch wasn't included either). I may have to consider taking this tour again if I am ever able to get back to WDW.
    Uh oh...here comes trouble.<br /><br />"Over and over, the crow cries uncover the cornfield."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: