Quantcast Odd things you pack...and why... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A NOAA Weather Radio.

I know it sounds strange, but hear me out. Florida is the lightning capital of the world. And also sees its fair share of tornadoes. I don't take it into the parks with me, but if I am gone and a weather alert is issued (a Watch or a Warning) when I get back my radio will let me know if one was issued via a digital readout.

And the National Weather Service updates it quicker than the Weather Channel.

Every room has smoke detectors, so why not a "Weather Detector"?
    Well, now I have to figure out how to take kids to WDW. Shouldn't be a problem...

Next trip Fall 2013.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

A sharpie marker. I use it to lable anything we buy that could be mistaken for someone elses. For instance, I write our name on the inside of a new hat, clothing, or toy. On my last trip, I bought my then 2 yr old son who didn't get to go with us a Buzz Lightyear I wrote his name on the bottom of Buzz's shoe just like in the movie. A sharpie comes in handy.
    February '89 Off Site
    February '04 Contemporary

June '05 Coronado Springs/Swan

February '06 Off Site
    April 07 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I was just about to say Sharpies! I label everything. Keeps kids cameras straightened out, helps lost items find their way back to us, helps us spot each other in our Yellow Mickey slickers, wtc. (I write our last name on the back like a jersey.) I LOVE my Sharpies!
    Next trip: May 29-June 5 2007, Caribbean Springs Resort
    Previous Trips: May 2005 POFQ; May 2004 Off-site with 50 Elementary Schoolers; September 2002: Contemporary Resort; March 2002 Off-site; May 2001 Animal Kingdom Lodge; March-June 2000: Vista Way, WDWCP

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by DunkinNut:
    Wow...I wrote down the extension cord idea. I have thought about that so many times - too late! It is officially on my spreadsheet...thanks. But I'm curious - what do you do with the air filter? Do you mean an air cleaning machine or just the filter? DN
    This is when my asthma is a little out of control. It helps me to sleep with an air purifier with an ionizer. not a basic need for most people.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Tink1:
    Duct tape

It always seems we use it for something. More than once we have used it for suitcases the airlines ripped on the way down. Have used it to hold curtains closed. Have used it as a really quick hem tape on a pair of slacks even!

Nanc
    I used to be a flight attendant and this was one of the things they told us we should always have with us. Can't remember all the uses they told us but I know one of them was in case of hotel fires you could use it to put around you door to keep smoke from coming in from the hallway. The pilots jokes that the tape was good for quick aircraft repairs...ha ha ha!

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

I bring a night light so no one stumbles in an unfamiliar room, but it is not so bright as to keep anyone awake. Also Shout wipes. I carry a few in my fanny pack or purse all the time. I cannot tell you how often they have saved a pair of shorts!!
    I also always keep a running list of things to pack. When I see a great idea on one of these posts, I immediately add it!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I always pack a small flashlight. You never know when you might need it! (I've even used it to read the menu at San Angel Inn and on the patio at the Rose n Crown!)
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm adding the clothes pin to our packing list - my husband hates that early morning light coming thru the sliver of curtain.

I did the Ziploc bag for our sons outfits last trip & it was so easy. They could pick what they wanted while dh & I were getting ready. I definately recommend it for those travelling with kids.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

After having the power go out on us once at a hotel and not being able to see a thing I now always put a small flashlight in our bag. I put my laundry stuff in an old cookie tin and then when I come home if we have breakables I can wrap them and put them in the tin to keep them safe. I take a suitcase filled with food, bagels, chips, licorice, etc.. then we use it for souvineers when we come home.

Post Thanks / Like

I always pack a desk fan. Not for the reason you might think though, its strictly for white-noise at night. For the longest time I haven't been able to fall asleep in a quiet room when you can hear every sound within 10 miles. A fan drowns out all the 'bad' noise so all you hear is hummmm.
    Dan

1993-Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1995-Contemporary
    1998-Contemporary
    2002-All Star Sports
    2003-Boardwalk Villas
    2005-Polynesian
    2006-Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

our own laundry detergent, I find it quite difficult paying for it when I have alot of it at home. if you can find the laundry detergent pellets bring those they do not take up any room. the other thing we bring which is quite nice is a small container of baby wipes. we use it for the obvious reasons we use them to clean hands and faces. wipe down arms back of necks when getting hot. wiping down tables or chairs in restaurants if needed during busy times and tabels can not be wiped down in time. we used the ziploc bag idea and now recommend it to others and it is great. not only do you have outfits together without digging for them to match when it get wet at one of the parks just place that back in there and it will not get other things wet in the bag. this also saves so much space.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great idea, skirt hanger, sharpies, shoe holder and so on.
    I take little zip bags to put powdered drink mix in and then add it to a cup of ice water at the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

My good friend Captain Morgan and......Beer! [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]
    "Why is the rum always gone?"
    Jun 09 - Old Key West
    Apr 08 - Disney Cruise
    Dec 07 - Ft Wilderness
    Feb 07 - Animal Kingdom
    Apr 06 - Disney Cruise
    Dec 05 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 05 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 04 - Car. Beach
    Aug 03 - Car. Beach
    Jun 02 - Port Orleans
    Oct 98 - All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

I always pack a duffle bag in my suitcase. If we end up with too many items to take home (and no one ever buys stuff to take home), I pack the dirty clothes in the duffle and we have room in our suitcases for the really important stuff. [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

I travel alot. I have a small zipper bag with two small flashlights, some Shout stain remover wipes, Desitin, bandaids, repair kit for glasses, a cheap pair of sunglasses, a cheap plastic poncho, and a travel alarm. It goes everyplace I travel, and I can't tell you how many times I or someone else have used one or more of these items.
    Honor the past, challenge the present, plan for the future. DVC Owner, WDW 16 trips, DL 5 trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by RazdOnDis:
    I always pack a desk fan. Not for the reason you might think though, its strictly for white-noise at night. For the longest time I haven't been able to fall asleep in a quiet room when you can hear every sound within 10 miles. A fan drowns out all the 'bad' noise so all you hear is hummmm.
    Same here! Although the air feels good on the face.

I also bring my Vacation Journal I bought at WDW.

My Gund Tigger that I've had for about 19 years. He goes everywhere! Mousekeepers tend to dress him up and do goofy things w/ him.

Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap, peppermint scented. Its great so you don't have to pack everything: shampoo, body wash, face soap. I don't used it in my hair, but at least I don't have to bring 2 different bottles.

The same suitcase as long as possible. I've got tags from 2000 celebration, 100 years, disney cruise and such. Also, somehow, i'm not able to take out the same mickey bar of soap. I've had it in my make up bag since we went, then they replaced the soaps w/ a dispenser and now they're back. But its stayed in my bag somehow.

I always make a list, but usually start putting stuff in the bag about 2 weeks ahead, just things here and there. But I put the list on post its and put it right where my face reflects in the mirror. This way, I'm sure to not miss anything, especially if its something that I can't put away the night before (brush, comb, contact case, etc.). Most of the time I have 2 of each thing.

Anways, I don't think I bring anything thats extremely strange.
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not odd, but here goes...I pack my own hair dryer (I take my own hair dryer everywhere I stay--for some reason, it feels weird holding a hair dryer that isnt' mine) and a suitcase full of Pepsi/Diet Pepsi. I can drink either Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke, it doesn't matter to me, but the rest of my family are strictly Pepsi people.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Last year was our first time and what I found most helpful was a large insulated freezer bag it has a handle, ziploc slide and folded up and flat to slip in my suitcase. Every night I would take it to the ice machine and fill it up. tuck our bottle water and sodas in it even milk for our cereal the next day. Stuck it in the tub and it would keep everything frosty all night and into the next day. We never missed having a frig in our room and I could drain the melted water straight into the tub. The bag was only 4.25 at Super Walmart and you can find them near the ice cream section. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how odd this is but here it goes.....

I'm kind of a coffee junkie.

I bring my own coffee (Cafe Dumond brand from New Orleans), filters, and white vinegar to scrub and clean the coffee pot before I use it. I also buy a gallon of bottled water to have in the room to make it every morning. I usually just get the milk at the resort.

I guess it would only be wierd to someone who doesn't know that coffee is the most important meal of the day!!!!!!
    [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

8/96*WL--8/98*YC--2/01*YC--9/01*GF

02/03*GF--11/03*GF--4/04*AKL--10/04*DL

11/05*Dolphin--8/06*WL--9/07*DLP

11/07*Dolphin--11/09*Swan--3/10*Ritz

6/10*Dolphin--10/10*Poly--8/11*Dolphin

12/11*GF--03/12*Dolphin--9/12*Dolphin

2/13*WA--11/13*WA--10/14*WA

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta remember sharpies & clothes pins next time! Great ideas.

If I'll be doing laundry I pack some of those solid detergent tablets...although I haven't seen them lately in the grocery store so I wonder if they still make them?? I also pack a suction cup hook for the shower so I can hang up my shower poof.
    1981 - offsite
    1982 - Golf Resort
    1983 - DD Hilton
    1985 - offsite
    1987 - offsite
    8/2001 - Polynesian
    5/2002 - POR
    9/2003 - Polynesian
    1/2004 - POP Century
    4/2005 - Polynesian
    8/2005 - Yacht Club & AKL
    8/2007 - Boardwalk Villas
    4/2008 - Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

I have only been able to find the laundry tabs in Purex brand recently--and at WalMart but not at the grocery store!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media: