Quantcast Which Guide Book?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which Guide Book?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Birnbaum’s WDW – Birnbaum

6 5.00%
  • Brit’s Guide to WDW – Veness

34 28.33%
  • Hassle-free WDW Vacation – Barrett

26 21.67%
  • PassPorter's WDW – Marx

39 32.50%
  • Rita Aero’s WDW – Aero

1 0.83%
  • The Luxury Guide to WDW – Goldsburg

2 1.67%
  • The Unofficial Guide to WDW – Sahlinger (Frommer)

9 7.50%
  • WDW for Dummies – Tunstall

2 1.67%
  • Jym's on crack - he missed one. I'll post it.

2 1.67%
  • Guide book?? Intercot is my guide book. Sheesh.

3 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Natazu Guest

Hello all,

I've noticed a lot of people talking about the Birnbaum's guide. I picked up a copy and didn't care much for it. It wasn't horrible, it just read like a big Disney ad. Being a fan of the Frommer's, it got me thinking what else was out there.

This poll is designed to find out what guide books people like and maybe give people an opportunity to see what others read.

You can choose two books in the poll since some people use two. For instance we buy the Frommer's every year and the Luxury Guide when there's an update.

NOTE: The Unofficial Guide and Frommer's is the same book.

[ March 29, 2005, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll fess up till I found intercot I bought Birnbaums, I also bought passporter which I will continue to buy.

I bought one of the frommers and didn't like it at all.

It was the mini one so maybe that was it but I really can't say it was helpful or informative (for us at least).
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I still enjoy Birnbaum's - it's really positive on Disney. I love Passporter and feel it's the best of them all. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    I can't stand the "Unofficial Guide." Very clear that those writers hate Disney and just want to make a buck by selling off their unofficial unhappiness.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Passporter is the most postive/truthful guide.

I like the Unoffical Guide, I really feel like it gives you the best descriptions of everything, though it is true that some parts are exageratedly harsh. Overall I feel it is the most comprehensive. But it doesn't change much from year to year, I don't think that many guides do.....

Intercot is the BEST though, better than the guide books. [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    VMK - EricsGirl

September 19-25 25th - Birthday Bash with Mom and Gran - Grand Floridian Concierge

May 2004 - Husband's Grad Trip/ Family Reunion - Beach Club Concierge

Post Thanks / Like

Besides Intercot it's Passporter for us [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]

We bought it last year & it was really useful, easy to read, and accurate. Plus, the back pages are wonderful for trip notes.
    I just got my 2005 Passporter in the mail today [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img]
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Passporter the best, but the Unofficial guide is pretty good as well. I agree with you about Birnbaum's- it's not my favorite.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of a guidebook that offers the "inside scoop," with actual criticisms and such, but ultimately, so much of that is a matter of opinion that none seem to be helpful. I mean, some people like things that the guidebook hates.

Intercot is great for getting a broad range of opinions, which is great.

For people who just want to familiarize themselves with everything WDW has to offer (which I think is the main reason to buy a guidebook anyway), Birnbaum's is probably best...just remember to take everything in it with a grain of salt.
    --Pat / HooksLeftHand

"I'd like to take a moment to point out some of our native plants...There's one over there...there's one...there's another."

Post Thanks / Like

We used the Unofficial Guide the first 2 times we went. Now we do not buy them anymore. I just use this site and the Disney site. I have gotten alot of info from Intercot.
    Oct.99 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Sept.00 - CS
    Dec.02 - POFQ
    Apr.05 - AKL
    Oct.05 - POR
    Nov.07 - WL
    Oct.09 - CBR moved to POR(10 yr Anniversary)
    Nov 2013 AKV Kadani, 1st DVC Stay!
    Oct 2014 VWL (15 Yr Anniversary)
    Dec 2016 AKV Kadani
    Oct 2017 AKV Kadani Savanna

Post Thanks / Like

I bought both birnubam (sp?) and the passporter. I read thru the birnubam one and it was informational but nothing really new. The passporter was great. I still fill stuff in to the worksheets and find myself highlighting things that I want to not miss. I love it.
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2004 Caribbean Beach
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    August 2006 CBR Trip with the In-laws
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    November 2013 POFQ Family Reunion
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Aero because it's the most useful out of all the choices. I would have voted for Fodor's by Kim Wright Wiley though.
    Future Trips: <br />July 2005: Port Orleans French Quarter<br /><br />Past Trips:<br />July 2004: Contemporary<br />July 2003: Carribean Beach<br />July 2002: Animal Kingdom Lodge<br />July 2000: Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I use Walt Disney World for Couples when it is just DH and me. This time I got a couple of the ...with Kids books since I don't travel much with kids. I HATED Kim Wright Riley's kids' version (2005). It was horribly out of date and had some just out and out bad information in it.

I will buy a new Birnbaum's every few years, but otherwise I just use the net.
    Next trip: May 29-June 5 2007, Caribbean Springs Resort
    Previous Trips: May 2005 POFQ; May 2004 Off-site with 50 Elementary Schoolers; September 2002: Contemporary Resort; March 2002 Off-site; May 2001 Animal Kingdom Lodge; March-June 2000: Vista Way, WDWCP

Post Thanks / Like

I just found a new one!! DK put out a Disney and Orlando area guide book in 2005. DK puts out those educational books for kids with the great pictures. It has info on Disney and surrounding hotels, Disney attractions and surrounding attractions (Sea World, Universal, other things i've never heard of...) I bought it for the pictures!!
    February 4-11 AoA
    October 13-20 2012 CBR
    November 7-13 2010 Pop
    November 3-10 2009 Polynesian
    September 19-26 2008, CBR Honeymoon
    May 11-18 2007, CBR engaged <3
    April/May 2006, OKW
    July 2004, All Star Movies
    June 1981, Sheraton World
    June 1976 somwhere offsite[/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Passporter is our all time fav and if I am planning a trip to WDW it is the first thing I buy. I also really like Rita Aero's guide book but have not bought a new one since 03.

Funcruiser

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, I read them all -- I borrow them from the library. I did buy a Passporter -- highly recommended!!!
    Tavel
    Next trip - Disney Wonder and CS - Nov. 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Unofficial Guide is the most informative for the money. They don't hate Disney, but they write guidebooks for all sorts of different destinations and can be quite critical of all of them.

I also like the Passporters for the pockets and everything. From what I've read of the Birnbaum guide, it seems like it could have easily been written by Disney itself - i.e. little critical material. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Tour Guide Mike - better than any book.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for the Unofficial Guide. The touring plans are great and, if you take the reviews with a grain of salt, the information is accurate. That, along with Intercot for up tothe minute info, completes my planning.
    First visit 1971
    Annual pass member
    Visit 2005
    May 2005 become DVC Member!!!
    Last visit 2006
    Last minute 2007 trip (for my 50th Bday)
    January 1, 2010 for 8 days
    January 2, 2012 for 7 days!!
    November, 2013, quick trip
    October 2014 1st time with future son-in-law

Natazu Guest

Originally posted by Ltmoko:
    We used the Unofficial Guide the first 2 times we went. Now we do not buy them anymore. I just use this site and the Disney site. I have gotten alot of info from Intercot.
    You're right. A regular reader of Intercot shouldn't need a guide book every year. I still use the Unofficial for things like crowd levels and which rooms to get at the resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone seen the Irreverant Guide to WDW from Frommer? It's a bit different from the others. I'd suggest borrowing from the library, not buying it but it's kind of fun to look at plus it's got some good info about the Orlando area.

My favorite is still the Unofficial Guide though I like reading everything I can get my hands on. I may try Passporter this year after all the referrals.

[ March 31, 2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: belbook ]
    CSR - Sept 2005 - POLY - Jan 2003
    DL - Jan 2000 - CSR - May 1999
    PO - April 1997 - CBR - Dec 1995
    Disney Villas - 1988 - Off-site - 1978

Post Thanks / Like

I have to disagree with comments that say the Unoffical Guide people "hate Disney". I have found it to be funny and very honest.

I recommend it to any first time visitors as I think it really opens your eyes on what to expect.

I'm not breaking any new ground here- but everyone reading this knows a trip to WDW is not your "lay on the beach for a week" vacation. To prepare people for the good and not so good, is not a bad thing.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: