Quantcast Camping Question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Camping Question

I've never camped at Disney, but my new wife has an older dog that can't be left alone all night (actually she probably can be, but we prefer not to) She can be alone all day with no problem, though. Therefore, we figured that camping might be the way to go so we could take the dog and not have to leave her in a kennel.
    That being said, we were wondering about the feasibility of renting an RV in Orlando and using it to camp in Fort Wilderness. Has anyone ever done this, or is it not a good idea? I'm really new to the whole concept...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be done, but ends up being pretty expensive. You would also have to check to be sure the RV rental place would allow pets in the RV.
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm...After checking prices, etc, I'm kind of thinking that buying a used pop-up with A/C would be most cost effective (plus we could use it over and over)...Now if I can talk the wife into it...

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Just tell her you will take care of all the cooking. It worked with me.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure Disney will allow you to have a dog in a pop-up. Some campgrounds allow animals only in hard side rvs.

23 Days, 21 Hours til we're back at Fort Wilderness.
    Happy Camping!
    Happy Campers!
    Brad, Laurie, Lee 23, Evan 16 & pups Bailey & Molly, +1 crazy cat named Tyber

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)

Post Thanks / Like

As a matter of fact, FW doesn't allow pets unattended in pop ups.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

How about in the kennel during the day and with us at night?

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a FABULOUS idea! Our dogs go, but they stay in our motorhome (actually we bought the motorhome for our Bassett Hound who has back problems, we also have a yorkie). Your proposal is exactly what we would do if we did not have a m/h. Okay - how many Bassett Hounds do you know that have their own motor home????

23 Days 17 Hours til we're back WDW and Fort Wilderness!
    Happy Camping!
    Happy Campers!
    Brad, Laurie, Lee 23, Evan 16 & pups Bailey & Molly, +1 crazy cat named Tyber

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)

Post Thanks / Like

Apparentlly at least one very lucky one....

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573
    How about in the kennel during the day and with us at night?
    That is exactly what we do with our beagle.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

WEll, the wife went for it
    Now I'm kind of thinking about building a teardrop. I have a PT Cruiser and I think it would really be cool.
    Anyway, either way, it's a go!
    Thanks guys!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573
    WEll, the wife went for it
    Now I'm kind of thinking about building a teardrop. I have a PT Cruiser and I think it would really be cool.
    Somebody makes a really neat looking teardrop that you might want to check out. We saw one at on RV dealer last year.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Thanks for the info!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Waaay too long

Another thought is to buy a small used motorhome. With the gas prices up earlier in the summer, many folks were trying to unload their MHs.

Fyi, the ones that kind of look like a pickup cab with a cab-over camper are called Class Cs. The ones that kind of look like busses area called Class As. Class Bs are the van size, like the kind made by VW.

You might be able to find a reasonably priced small Class C that might surprise you on comfort. My cousin and his wife tried a small Class A first but very quickly went to a smallish Class C because it was easier to drive. They took their Class C on business trips, even, because it's so handy to have your own bed and not have to haul luggage around.

They tow their car behind. I don't know if a PT Cruiser can be towed. Fyi, some tow with all 4 wheels on the ground and some tow with a dolley, with only the back two wheels on the ground. We've never towed a vehicle, so I don't know the differences.

We started out years ago with a used pop-up and I think that's a good way to go. We used that for two years while we were learning the ropes and figuring what options were important to us.

Then we went shopping for a new pop-up. I had the list of our most desirable options, and ideas of possible prices but unfortunately took DH and our grandson with me. They fell in love with the pop-up with everything and that's the one we got.

I will say that the pop-ups with the motor that raises the top are so much handier. Our first pop-up was hand cranked and after a couple of weeks, we were tired of hand cranking. With the motorized lift, we would go camping for 5 to 6 weeks.

After three or four years we traded for a full size (but small - 25 feet) trailer, with bunk beds. One major advantage of the trailer is that we can stop for lunch (usually a grocery store or Walmart parking lot) and save money eating in our trailer. And we always have a rest stop with us.

A major disadvantage of a pop-up or trailer is that you need to have a proper vehicle to tow your RV. Your PT Cruiser's owner manual should tell you what weights you can tow, if the Cruiser can tow.

We did our homework and towed with a Chrysler mini-van with tow package - bigger engine and transmission. One important factor in towing is stopping power. Brakes are important. Lighter, smaller pop-ups may not require electric brakes but the bigger ones do, as do full sized trailers.

Now that we have the trailer, we tow with a diesel Ford 1 ton dually crew cab. We don't really need the dually but DH got a 'great' deal on this vehicle and we do need the crew cab with grandkids traveling with us.

There are several discussion boards on the Internet that will help educate a person on things to learn about RVs. We really enjoy our rig, truck and trailer, while my cousin and his wife enjoy their Class C.

In June we went down to Galveston to get our grandson from Sea Camp. We stopped just off the interstate, in Hope, Arkansas, for the night, at a campground run by a motel. Pull through site, with all the hook-ups, for less than $20. Couldn't be handier. We'll be heading down to Fort Wilderness in less than 90 days and we'll be dragging our trailer then too.

Hope you get something to camp in so you and your new DW and her old dog can all enjoy WDW.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info!
    I've been doing a little research and I've found that Cruisers can't tow much, only 1000 pounds with a 100 pound hitch weight. (There is some disagreement over this, due to the fact that European Cruisers are rated for 2500 pounds, but I'd rather be safe than sorry). With those kids of weight restictions, the only camper than can be towed would be something like a teardrop, or maybe a micro. I'm exploring all options at this point, including popups, class c's and even building (I'm a fairly good craftsman and it sounds fun...plus my great grandfather built one on his model T, so it's in my blood )
    Considering that the only reason I started thinking this way was so we could take the dog, I'm really getting excited by the idea. It will be SO nice to be able to just take off whenever we want.
    I'll post updates.....
    Once again, thanks!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

You may also want to look the Cozy Cruiser Teardrop Trailer if only for a model to build your own. The approximate weight on these trailers are 1250 lbs and tongue weight of 130 lbs. These weights may be pushing your PT Cruiser to the limit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default dining al fresco

As I was reading your options list I was reminded of the sort-of pop-ups that the motorcyclists tow. Those have got to be very light weight.

While the teardrop shape is appealing, I don't know that I could camp in one - aren't they basically a sleeping place? Seems close to me. The pictures I've seen have a lid of sorts in the back that opens to reveal an open air kitchen area. If this is the case, you may want to invest in a dining canopy or screen house.

All the campsites at Fort Wilderness have electrical service so even folks in tents could bring an extension cord or two and use a fan or other electrical device.

Please keep us informed as to your progress!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, in my studies I've found that teardrops, while small and streamlined, are not the most light things in the world. A small popup (like the motorcyle ones that you pointed out) are actually lighter (although they have little of the "retro-cool" thing going on). I've just about talked myself into going that route because of weight and the fact that they're actually a bit larger. Still, I guess a lot will depend on what I can find. I'm planning on starting the "active search phase" this weekend. I'll keep you posted!

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to keep us posted now. We're all interested in what you're going to choose.

I've run the gamut from pup tent to one-room tent to two-room tent to pup-up to trailer to class C motorhome, and enjoyed them all when I was using them. I will say that hand-cranking the pop-up was a pain.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

A liner makes a nice line of lightweight folding trailers, which are quick and easy to set up. Then there is my favorite, the hybrids. Nice to tow a 21 ft trailer which opens to the interior space of a 30 footer, easier to set up than a pop up but still has that tent feel to it.
    Jim

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: