Quantcast River Country to Reopen??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default River Country to Reopen??

Hi, just came back yesterday and while there down at the marina we rented a Sea Raycer and we drove by the old River Country. When we got back to the dock I asked on of the cast members what are they going to do with it. He told me that they have been working over there and it is going to Reopen in about a year as a water park for FW only. Does this ring a bell with any body else?
    To many visits to keep track of.
    Finally Living The Dream!!!!!!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

That's been the rumour since the park closed ...
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

One can only hope. I wouldn't hold my breath though. I recently received a response to a letter to a "Disney Executive Offices"..(what ever that's supposed to mean) in regard to FW, and facilites..including the use of the WL pool by FW guests.(which is supposed to be prohibited) I mentioned the rumor regarding using part of RC( not the area connected to Bay Lake..but the pools) for an upgraded swimming facility for the FW guests, so as to illiminate the pool hopping and offer the guests at FW a much needed and long awaited renovated swimming area. I got back a very nice thank you for your interest type of response..and how they take your suggestions seriously for future planning. They made no mention of anything specifically changing in FW. Too bad..it would be such a nice idea!
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

I would tend to agree with the others. While you can never say "never", this is likely just another rumor. While some of the pools could possibly be used at FW, any of the parts that use lake water would have to be redone because of the concerns about bacteria in the lake water. With the cost involved in that and the fact that there has been nothing even remotely close to this coming from official channels I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for it.

Southern New Jersey ( only 1024 miles away )
    Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip to F.W. a c.m. told us that they were going to renovate R.C. into a themed pool area for F.W. similar to the one at the W.L. The cast member told us back in November that the work was suppose to start sometime in Jan 07 and possibly be completed by the end of September or October 07... Although he did not know what the plan looked like he said it was going to be a huge upgrade for F.W.
    hoping it's true !!!!!!
    1973,76,78,79,81,82 Off Site
    1994,96,97- ASSP
    1996,97- CBR
    1998- DCL-MAGIC (HONEYMOON)
    1999- ASMV
    2004- DCL-WONDER
    2005- CSR
    2002,03,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13, 14 F.W.
    2008-DCL WONDER (Double Dip)
    2010 DCL WONDER
    2013 DCL DREAM
    º ºOº ºOº ºOº ºOº
    Next Trip: F.W. December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard the same thing from CM's for about the last 2 or 3 years. While I hope it does, I don't expect it to reopen.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the reason that it permenatly closed in the first place was because the cost to get it up to code was going to be about the same as building a new water park.

What is the problem with bacteria in Bay Lake? 20 years ago you used to be able to swim and water ski, etc. in it.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...bacteria+water

This prior discussion should provide the answer for you.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

One can only hope this great area will be used for something than just let it sit idle. They have been saying that they were going to do something since it has closed. I would like to see it as some sort of water park area for Ft. Wilderness only. Only time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMartellFamily View Post
    One can only hope this great area will be used for something than just let it sit idle. They have been saying that they were going to do something since it has closed. I would like to see it as some sort of water park area for Ft. Wilderness only. Only time will tell.
    You know what they say..."From your lips to God's ears". Or Mickeys Haha!
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

I recall there being a regular swimming pool at RC with clear water and two slides that dumped you out several feet above water level. Wonder what happened to that?
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly the area I was referring to in relation to creating a themed swimming area for FW guests. I would think they could update it..much the way they did the pool at the Poly..if it was needed. It would be a great alternative to for those guests who want a pool with a slide for the kids..or the kids at heart! I remember it being very nice.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

This rumor has been around for several years. Back in 1999, we ate dinner at the Wilderness Lodge. A CM asked us to help with the flag retreat ceremony on top of the lodge. He told us of plans to make River Country a private swimming area for Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, and Hotel Colorado guests. What is Hotel Colorado, you ask. Hotel Colorado was a hotel that was going to be built inside Fort Wilderness in loops 100-200. They were then going to put a railroad connecting all three areas, and create an "entertainment district" similar to the Boardwalk. (This is all according to the CM)

Obviously, none of this ever happened. In fact, the Villas Wilderness Lodge ended up going smack dab in the middle of the supposed train tracks. It might have very well been in the works, or it might have never made it out of the 'blue sky' stage.

I think it would be great if they would fix up the pool, and open it up to FW guests. There is also a nice snack bar and locker rooms that could be used. Maybe they could even serve some drinks and convert it to a poolside bar. The snack bar at the Meadow pool is not much of one.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson
    What is Hotel Colorado, you ask. Hotel Colorado was a hotel that was going to be built inside Fort Wilderness in loops 100-200. They were then going to put a railroad connecting all three areas, and create an "entertainment district" similar to the Boardwalk. (This is all according to the CM)
    If I recall correctly, the name Wilderness Junction was also tied to these plans in some way. Not sure if it related to the district or was an alternate name for the hotel.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

We took the tour of the Lodge and heard that same yarn from the castmember who gave the tour. It sounded wonderful, but obviously as you say..none of it has ever materialized. Too bad.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    If I recall correctly, the name Wilderness Junction was also tied to these plans in some way. Not sure if it related to the district or was an alternate name for the hotel.
    Yes, that is right, Wilderness Junction was to be the name of the entertainment district.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

What about building some bigger campsites in that area? If they aren't going to use it for anything, they should dam it up, drain it, and fill it in. It needs to be used for something if it isn't going to be reopened.
    When did you last let your heart decide?

Post Thanks / Like

Historically great sources of inaccurate information: CM's, FW bus drivers, Jim Hill.
    Jim

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Default bean counters

I have heard the talk about the unhealthy water, and when we were at River Country the part open to the Bay wasn't very pleasant looking, and we're used to non-pool water.

However, as mentioned, the one pool with the two slides was heated and not connected to the Bay, hence no contamination, presumably.

I think the main reason River Country was closed was because TL and BB opened and there wasn't enough business with 3 water parks to make RC a viable operation. Didn't make enough money. So it closed. Why FW never had a themed park is beyond me because the Wilderness Homes ain't cheap. Also, some of the older pools, such as the one at the Poly have undergone renovation and more theming. Seems FW is about due.

Sure would like to see at least the heated pool part of RC open to FW guests. As long as that pool has been closed, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to reopen. Still, if folks have seen activity in the RC area, I'm hopeful.

As to the whole Hotel Colorado and Wilderness Junction not materializing - not surprised. WDW has taken a hit in visitor numbers recently and had profit siphoned off. How much of Pop Century is up and open for business?

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    I heard the reason that it permenatly closed in the first place was because the cost to get it up to code was going to be about the same as building a new water park.

What is the problem with bacteria in Bay Lake? 20 years ago you used to be able to swim and water ski, etc. in it.

as recently as 8-9 years ago
    i miss that and river country.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: