Quantcast Animal Kindgom Additions?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Animal Kindgom Additions?

I'm curious if their is an addition for the Animal Kingdom starting soon or in the works.

Today while poking around on MapQuest I was able to zoom in on AK and noticed that just north of Asia and east of Conservation Station there is a large area of land torn up. Is this a new land or am I just being hopeful?
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

These pictures are sometimes outdated. For example, if you go up to the Magic Kingdom on Mapquest, the 10K Leagues Under the Sea lagoon is filled in but the construction walls are still up. On Google Maps, you can even still see the 10K Leagues lagoon.

I'm not aware of any construction in that area, but someone more informed than me will probably come along to let us know.
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's in Asia it's most likely an old image that still shows the construction going on for Everest.

Either that or its current and it's the new restaurant they're putting in there.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWacky View Post
    If it's in Asia it's most likely an old image that still shows the construction going on for Everest.

Either that or its current and it's the new restaurant they're putting in there.
    No, this is the area north of Asia. Everest is southeast, and the Yak & Yeti is in the southwest corner.

I've noticed this area before, prior to the start of Everest. I think it's not so much torn up, as just undeveloped. It seems to be used as an open storage area. Everest is in the final stages of construction, so it's possible this was being used as a staging area, although it's a little ways up the road.

It does look like a prime candidate for expansion, but they'd need to do something creative for pedestrian access from the main part of the park. The railroad tracks get pretty close to the bird theater and the tiger enclosure, and there would be at least one service road to get across. But it is right next to the Planet Watch train station; in fact, that may be the reason the station is so far from the Planet Watch exhibit building -- so it could serve future expansion here.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelkfla View Post
    No, this is the area north of Asia. Everest is southeast, and the Yak & Yeti is in the southwest corner.
    I've seen the same area on Google Earth, and it's a fairly recent picture that was added in the past year. It is definitely not Everest, which is almost fully built a little to the south of the dirt area. Hopefully it waill be an area used for future construction, but it's probably just an unutilized area right now.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at that MapQuest area and it is a huge area being torn up. Question: Where is AKL located in relation to the park? Could this be part of the work for the new DVC Animal Kingdom Villas?

Post Thanks / Like

EE, with the mythical "Yeti" would certainly make a nice segway into a Beastly Kingdom....its nice to speculate!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes...."

CBR '03 POFQ '05 SSR '05 POFQ, Marathon Weekend '06 OKW 06 Swan, Marathon Wekend '07

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna say this was the Everest staging area I remember seeing some aerial photos with track pieces in a staging area. The may also use the same are for the Yak & Yeti.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    Question: Where is AKL located in relation to the park? Could this be part of the work for the new DVC Animal Kingdom Villas?
    AKL is almost a mile southwest of the Tree of Life. This area is about 1/4 mile north of it.

I agree that it was the staging area for EE. The Google Earth shot shows what looks like storage containers and construction office trailers. And I can distinctly see a tractor trailer leaving the site.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Potentially old news here, but the bulk of what I have read regarding any potential new 'Land' in Animal Kingdom indicated that it would be 'Beastly Kingdom', and would be built in the area currently occupied by the Character Greeting Trails, Pocohontas & Her Forest Friends and the Legend of the Lion King attractions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    AKL is almost a mile southwest of the Tree of Life. This area is about 1/4 mile north of it.

I agree that it was the staging area for EE. The Google Earth shot shows what looks like storage containers and construction office trailers. And I can distinctly see a tractor trailer leaving the site.
    This is a bit off topic, but has there ever been any thought of a path or trail from AKL to the park? It is a shame that the combination of the two (a deluxe and the park) are the only ones without some sort of preferred or exclusive transportation method other than a bus.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

kinda agree here. there should b some kind of connection from AKL to AK
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    This is a bit off topic, but has there ever been any thought of a path or trail from AKL to the park? It is a shame that the combination of the two (a deluxe and the park) are the only ones without some sort of preferred or exclusive transportation method other than a bus.
    I think it would be a great idea. It would be about the same distance as the walk from The Yacht and Beach Club to MGM. From what I heard, (and this is speculation, not from any reliable source) Disney does not want just anybody being able to walk over and hang out at the Lodge checking out the animals.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, louise! Why didn't I ever think of looking at arial pictures of the park!!!

I'm thinkin' it would be really cool to have a South America/Amazon land.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think I read at one point that they did plan on digging a canal between AKL and AK and having boat service run between the two, but they scrapped the idea for ... you guessed it ... cost cutting reasons.

I'll be honest, though, and say that I'm not 100% sure if I actually read that, heard it somewhere, or just made it up in my head.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: