A few years ago, I learned that I was supposed to be tipping the mousekeepers at the Disney resorts. This was a new concept to me, as I have traveled for business before, and have never tipped a housekeeper.

The logic was that a housekeeper is essentially a lower wage job, and that they partially rely on tips to supplement that wage, much like a waitress or a hair stylist.

OK, I'm good with that, so I tipped the last few times we stayed at Disney.

BUT, after going through a Disney themed business presentation recently, I've reconsidered this. Essentially, what Disney uses to set itself apart is that it doesn't consider what it provides to be a service, Disney defines it as an EXPERIENCE. Disney prides themselves on going far beyond a guest's expectations, and for a guest to have a "good" experience is not good enough. Disney wants to be THE BEST.

So, things like mousekeeping and any other castmember going above and beyond what they normally do is the status quo. Disney castmembers (I guess except for waitresses and waiters) technically aren't supposed to accept tips, because that puts them on the same level as the guest, and it lowers the Disney experience from experience to just another service.

So, I don't think I'll be tipping the mousekeepers anymore...