I worked as a pediatric RN for close to 10 years. After having baby #2 we moved from Delaware to Kansas and I opted to stay home with my kids since DH was traveling 2-3 weeks out of the month at the time. I let my RN license lapse. I then ended up working in children's ministry which I have been doing now for the past 11 years. I currently work for a mega-church as the elementary program director.

My kids are now 8, 13, and 15 and I started looking into what it would take to go back to nursing and found that my local community college offers a RN refresher course that is only 9 weeks. I would then also need some additional clinical hours before I could re-apply for my RN license. It is very tempting. Financially we could really use the extra $$ that I could be making as a nurse. I also have tossed around the idea that having my RN would allow me to do some medical mission trips which is something I think I might really enjoy.

Can anyone tell me what the job market for RN's is like now? I hear that there is a nursing shortage but wondered how the economy is affecting healthcare jobs. I would give up my ministry job but I am not ready to jump back in full time as an RN. I would really like to work in a pediatric clinic or pediatrician's office.

A little pixie dust and prayers appreciated as well as I try to discern what I should do!