Hi Everyone!

Lately, I have been seriously considering joining the Air Force in the future. I am 22 years old, and am currently part time in college for information technology. I also have been working in the IT field at an insurance company for the past 4 years.

I was looking into joining the USAF after high school, however I would have been disqualified due to carpal tunnel in both of my hands. In August, I had surgery on my right hand, and will be having surgery next month on my left hand to correct the problem. If everything looks well with the recovery after 6 months or so, I think I would be qualified to join.

I know enlisting would be a major decision, and I have a lot of thinking to do in the future. I want to absolutely make sure I am making the right choice if I join.

I was wondering if any Intercotees were currently a member of the Air Force (or any other branch!), and if they had any advice for joining, or any advice for as to how you knew you made the right decision in joining?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for books that might have information? I have read the Airman's Guide, as well as an outdated "Guide to Joining the Military" book, however I have not been able to find too many books at the library/bookstores regarding the Air Force.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
Melissa