Quantcast Haunted Mansion Refurb. - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    I really do give up, it is unfortunate that Im actually going this summer when it comes to my arguement because people are just going to pass it off as "oh hes mad because its going to be closed when hes going" when in fact I would be making the exact same argument even if I wasnt going.

Edit-As to "the whole park would have to shut down" philosophy I want you to name me one year round park that has closed an attraction for the entire summer season, and not have it be closed for at least 9 months. I cant think of one, at DL, UO, BGT, or the Sea Worlds.

I understand what you are saying and agree with you!
    Its called peak season for a reason, and that is because that is when most families make it to WDW. If you go during off season then you expect refurbs, but not during peak season. Bottom line is they dropped the ball.

Having said that, yes its just a ride no body will die if they dont ride it. Lets just move on and hope they(Disney) changes their mind and decides that it is a mistake to close one of their most popular attractions during peak season over a gift shop!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

^Its not just a gift shop, the ride is in some desperate need of some major TLC (heck it was in some desperate need of some major TLC the last time I was there two years ago) and Im not mad at Disney for closing the ride for a rehab (because it desperatly needs it) Im upset at the timeing they choose, and the fact that they waited this long to fix the thing.

Also the only thing that is really bothering me is how people keep on brushing me off as one of those "I deserve the perfect vacation" people when Im questioning the timing of the closure.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are the dates concrete?

When Disney announces that a ride will be refurbished do they ever open earlier than announced? We're leaving Disney on September 9th. . . from previous experience, does anyone know if we'll have a chance to experience the new and improved mansion?

mttafire Guest

Default Bottom line...

The bottom line is Disney is refurbishing an attraction that needs it. Disneyland did an almost 2 year refurb on Spacemountain. The whole argument of "peak season" is off limits to refurbs is absurd. The "off" season isnt really that much off attendence wise. More and more folks are vacationing year round. Not just the traditional "summer" months. Look for more and more refurbs to be done year round in the future. In the end it will be a better attraction for all of us to enjoy. AS for Disney changing it mind about this...NOT going to happen. The decision has been made. Disney cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time. ALOT of folks are happy that this refurb will be or "hopefully" done for Haloween. Almost everytime we visit Disney something is down for a refurb..No big deal we just have to skip it that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cetacean01 View Post

Having said that, yes its just a ride no body will die if they dont ride it. Lets just move on and hope they(Disney) changes their mind and decides that it is a mistake to close one of their most popular attractions during peak season over a gift shop!

I know what you mean by no body will die while it's closed down lol. POTC was being refurbed last summer when I was there for graduation. It was SO hard to no ride it esp. since the POTC movies are my FAVORITE!
    Also it was my friends first time ever being to WDW so not seeing that was hard

but you know what?!
    Because HM will be down and POTC will be up this time...it gives us a reason to go this summer too

As far as just closing it for a gift shop...I think that thats taking it a little to far. They do have merchandise outside of the HM on a cart. It was alot of Nightmare before christmas stuff and HM stuff. CUTE!
    I think that the HM is in MUCH need of some TLC. When I was last there alot of the gouls didn't pop up, and alot of the voices didn't play and the music wasn't right. So basically we had a silent tour of the mansion.

I honestly can't wait to see what is going to be done
    Last trip: June 2006- HS Graduation
    Next trip: September 2010!!! Uncles first trip since WDW opened!

Ray Rice #27
    Baltimore Ravens HON!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I'm excited for the Refurbishment !!!! The Pirates ride last year came out great... This will be great especially just in time for MNSSHP

Past Trips
    December 14-16, 2009- 25th Birthday WL
    May 15-20 - Gracie's Disney
    May 2, 2009 - 7 Night DCL Western
    Oct 30, 2008- DCL 3 nights
    April 27- Sports
    DCL April 28th 7 Night Eastern Carribean
    May 22-All Star Movie
    March 4th- 4 Night DCL
    Jan 31-Feb 2 - AKL
    30+ !

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my main problem is that unlike Space Mountain, or Small World this is not a year/multi year process but a short 4 month rehab, done over not just part of (like POTC) but the entire summer. To me it just seems like a stupid move.

The other big thing I disagree with is this idea of "no peak season" anymore. I severely doubt that Disney will ever get to the point where everyday is like Christmas Week or the 4th of July where every room is full and parks close to capacity. I dont think thats feasable with the current population/economy. Ergo if they are going to start treating every season like its equal and abolishing long term practices of not having rehabs during the classic peak season, this is eventually going to cause them problems down the line. For when the word gets out to the public that there is no incentive to go during the summer (its hot, the prices are the most expensive, and there is special events.)* less people will come, and that could mean a time when Disney never fills every hotel room or fills to capacity and when that steam whistle ceases to exist, there will be accountants that (rightfully so) will say that WDW is too big for the current market and when that happens funds for new rides, the future fifth gate, and new resorts will dry up and we will see every part of WDW stagnate to the point where we will all look back at the MK during this time and not believe how new everything is.

The moment that you assume your customers are just going to show up, without any incentive to do so is the moment they stopped coming.

*Just to comment on the hours/shows thing. Disney has allways said in defending their earlier closing times/less shows that these decisions are made entirely on the amount of people expected to be at the park on a given day. Therefore, long hours and more shows are the tradeoff positive to having large throngs of people the day you visit the park and therefore can not be considered a perk of the summer but only a "perk" of being there on a crowded day.

Also, I realize the HM is closing this summer, there is nothing that can be done to change it, and writing a letter wont help (not that I would.) I also realize that this and every fan site has very little (and very close to no) bearing on what the company will do in the future. Im just trying to carry on a discussion about what I see as a major change in company policy amongst the community. I also look forward to seeing the changes the next time I go, and sincerely hope that in when I do get to go again that whatever they do to it allows it to still be running strong then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Also the only thing that is really bothering me is how people keep on brushing me off as one of those "I deserve the perfect vacation" people when Im questioning the timing of the closure.
    I have read every post on this thread and I do not see that anyone is saying that to you. Just like you, everyone has an opinion... you just seem to be taking the opinions of others as being directed at you.
    The bad thing about a discussion board is that it is hard to understand the "feeling" behind the words so sometimes it sounds like people are being a little harsher (Is that a word?) than they intended the post to be.

Now, back to the original post....
    I will be there the first week in July and I am a little disappionted with HM being closed. However, most of my trips have been in the off season and there were many rides closed. I can live with this... It just gives me a reason to have to plan another trip in October!!
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

mttafire Guest

Default Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    I have read every post on this thread and I do not see that anyone is saying that to you. Just like you, everyone has an opinion... you just seem to be taking the opinions of others as being directed at you.
    The bad thing about a discussion board is that it is hard to understand the "feeling" behind the words so sometimes it sounds like people are being a little harsher (Is that a word?) than they intended the post to be.

Now, back to the original post....
    I will be there the first week in July and I am a little disappionted with HM being closed. However, most of my trips have been in the off season and there were many rides closed. I can live with this... It just gives me a reason to have to plan another trip in October!!
    Agreed, I will add that we also almost ALWAYS visit in May or Sept. Something is usually down for rehab/seasonal closure. So what, It gives us the same reason to plan our next trip in a year or two. Having an attraction closed is such a minor thing and it in NO way affects our trip and enjoyment. We are just plain happy to be in the "WORLD"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    Having an attraction closed is such a minor thing and it in NO way affects our trip and enjoyment. We are just plain happy to be in the "WORLD"
    I completly agree with this.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, was a little disappointed to hear that Haunted Mansion was going to be closed during our trip in June (although we might be able to see it on June 5th, our first day there). And I do think it is somewhat unusual for them to close a major MK attraction during the summer vacation season. Like many, I assume it is to allow them to have a "grand re-opening" just in time for the Halloween holiday period.

That said, wait times at some of the other attractions will probably be a bit longer (as you mentioned) so making the most of Fast Pass and Extra Magic Hours will be a necessity.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are technically two different seasons: peak season and off season. However, many of the "off season" months are now becoming more crowded due to MNSSHP, Food and Wine Festival, etc. The attendance isn't as high in July but there are more and more people coming during those off season months every year.

I don't understand why people are having a hard time grasping why Haunted Mansion is being refurbished when it is. It is "Haunted." It fits perfectly with MNSSHP. The reason they are doing it during the peak season has more to do with that than it does with them wanting to spread closing between the different seasons.

So why aren't people complaining about MNSSHP because IMHP that is the cause for timing of HM closing.

All that aside, HM NEEDS a rehab. I wouldn't care if they closed when I was going (whether it be during the peak or off season) because I know it will look so much better the next time I go.

Look at Small World. I love that ride and it was closed one time we went. I was dissapointed but knew it had to be done. The next time we went I was so excited to ride it. And when we walked up to the waiting area I was floored! And inside the attraction looks so much better.

So cheer up everyone! HM may be closed when you go but think of how excited you'll be when you get to ride it afterwards. It will be worth the wait!
    Alicia

1980 & 1984 - Off site
    1990 & May 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    Jan 2001 (honeymoon) and Nov 2004 - Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Sept 2007 - Polynesian Resort

Next Trip: May 2010 - Polynesian (for our 10 year anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really like HM - I always skip it when I go to WDW.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I am disappointed as well but only because my sister has never been to WDW and is going with us this summer and will not get to enjoy my favorite attraction but this gives my a reason to come back next year to see the new HM!!! Every year I tell my DH I have to go back because there is either something new or something updated!!!
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    The Haunted Mansion will be closed for a routine refurbishment June 6 - September 12, 2007 according to an official announcement just released by Walt Disney World Operations.
    I'll be there the 13-18. I hope there's no delays.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why so many people are getting upset or angry over Disney for taking the time to update an attraction that needs it. I had to wait almost 2 years for DLR to update Space Mountain and it was worth it!!! When DH and I finally rode it, it was AWESOME!!! I just hope that they actually update the SM at MK.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Well that just stinks

I just got done telling my son last night how much he would enjoy the HM. I guess we have to have a little talk tonight. I seriously didnt know this was going to happen.

Does anyone know what we should expect when we go to the park around the HM area? I would really love to show my son the tombstones and the surrounding area around the mansion. How will they block the area off....will the stones be visable you think?

Post Thanks / Like

wow! what a perfect time for refurbishment,should be all fresh for us when we go sept 9-19th
    any petitions will have to be counter petitioned by us september free dining people

seriously I feel for those missing it,It`s lousy when a favorite is closed during your big vacation.
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hey, these rides have to be refurbished sometime! You have to have HM open for the Halloween season! Oh, by the way, we arrive on Sept. 14, 2 days after it opens! We hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad they are doing a rehab on the HM. It is one of my favorite rides! I can not wait to see it when it’s done. As for “timing”, you will never find a time that makes everyone happy. Last January we had an extended (12 people) magical gathering at WDW and the Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster was closed. Disappointing, but necessary from time to time.
    10/07 - SSR planned
    01/07 - Old Key West & POP Century
    11/05 - 12/05 - POP Century & Saratoga Springs
    02/03 - Beach Club
    02/00 - Beach Club & Coronado Springs

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: