Quantcast NEW THREAD STARTED, WITH SPOILERS. Harry Potter VII [Merged Threads] - Page 9

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: How many of you stood in line for the new Harry Potter book?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I stood in line for the book

34 60.71%
  • I will wait a few days and then buy the book

7 12.50%
  • I don't buy the books, I wait for the movies

3 5.36%
  • I couldn't care less about the books

11 19.64%
  • Who is Harry Potter?

1 1.79%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt really have to end either but she wanted it to be over. I loved the end of the book but it felt like the epiloge was just throw together.
    ~~Heather

Laughter is timeless
    Imagination has no age
    And dreams are forever

July 04-Honeymoon
    May 05-Bought Fairfield Timeshare on Disney Property
    Sept/Oct 05-Weekend Trip
    Oct 06-Baby's first trip

2008-Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't answer this one b/c I got my book about 12:15 am and didn't wait in line. We went to see the latest HP movie, which got out around 12:03, and drove straight over to Borders. Took 5 minutes to park the car, walk in, grab one and check out.

Post Thanks / Like

It was probably very exciting to go at midnght and wait in line, but I knew there was no need to wait in line. I showed up at my local market and bought one yesterday morning along with my groceries. Borders alone sold 1.2 million copies on the first day, but the book has a very high print run so it shouldn't be out of stock anywhere for long, if at all. It's not at all like the wait for Wii or PS2 or iPhone, in which the supply does not equal the demand and even some of the people waiting in line won't get one. The publisher made sure supply would equal demand.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TigChatt View Post
    I loved the end of the book but it felt like the epiloge was just throw together.
    I def. agree.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything is wrong with the books or movies at all. I was just wondering who would stand in a gigantic line waiting for a book at midnight.
    Ah, I see. I thought you were laughing because they were waiting for Harry Potter, not just waiting in general.

Still, I can understand it though. I mean when you're really into something and you've waited so long, you want to get your hands on it as soon as possible. While I've never gotten a HP book at midnight, I have done midnight movie premieres. But I still think its important to look at those facts I posted. Harry Potter is a huge phenomenon that has fans of both genders, all ages and races and some people have been waiting for this final book for 10 years now. Just to make a parallel, prior to fastpass families waited hours in lines for a ride that will last a matter of minutes at WDW. Parents keep their kids out till 2am for EMH. We spend hours on this message board obsessing over vacations that could be years away.... it's a very similar sort of thing, in my own opinion.

*ETA I do agree with you about the iPhone. I would never buy a first generation model of something like that, especially when you look at the iPod and how many updates and changes there have been. But I think something like a book that reveals secrets that so many have been waiting to find out has a very different pull to it and I can understand the waiting in line.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I def. agree.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way.
    ~~Heather

Laughter is timeless
    Imagination has no age
    And dreams are forever

July 04-Honeymoon
    Sept/Oct 05-Weekend Trip
    Oct 06-Baby's first trip

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I finished at 1:30 this afternoon (I have to work an early weekend shift at a radio station...so, I have to be in bed really early). I think it maybe took me 12 hours to read?? Not to mention, it was hard doing a morning show without having my co-hosts not try and spoil the ending for me. Actually, they were pretty good about it and hiding what they had read online (none of them are true HP fans).

I absolutely loved it!!! I can't wait to discuss the book more in depth!!

At least it redeemed the movie for being so utterly bad.

Now, it's sleepy time with some Disney music...
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the end of the book but it felt like the epiloge was just throw together.
    That's kind of funny because hasn't JKR said that part's been written since she started all of this? She's had that last chapter locked away for years and only slightly revised it when writting DH. I know a lot of people feel as you do, though.

I finished about 2 pm. My husband asked me when I'd start reading it again and I said "probably tonight".
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished. Wow.

I want more!!!!
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Post Thanks / Like

I read it yesterday and loved every second of it!!!! I think she ended it beautifully but I agree about the epilogue..and a few questions are still unanswered.......but she said it would be that way. So now I am going back to read this one slowly and then the whole series...and then...oh no..no more books....
    michelle

Post Thanks / Like

We received the book via mail at 2:30pm Yesterday, and I finshed it at 4:30 am this morning.

I rolled over, woke up my wife, and handed the book off to her. She started reading right then and there.

Now we can talk to each other again. It makes for a pretty quiet weekend when all we're doing is reading.

I thought the book was very good, though like most I am sorry to see it end.

Time for the Harry Potter Prequels to start being written.
    Nick

"The suns just coming over the horizon...Oh Lord what a heavenly light!" - Cpt. Leroy Gordon "Hotdog" Cooper as portrayed in The Right Stuff.

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conorsmom2000 View Post
    That's kind of funny because hasn't JKR said that part's been written since she started all of this? She's had that last chapter locked away for years and only slightly revised it when writting DH. I know a lot of people feel as you do, though.

I finished about 2 pm. My husband asked me when I'd start reading it again and I said "probably tonight".
    The way I took that to mean that she meant the very last chapter NOT the epilogue. But if she meant that then you would think that she would have elaborated a little more on it. I'm glad that she FINALLY did put people together in it.
    ~~Heather

Laughter is timeless
    Imagination has no age
    And dreams are forever

July 04-Honeymoon
    Sept/Oct 05-Weekend Trip
    Oct 06-Baby's first trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conorsmom2000 View Post
    You know I wondered about this myself, since I feel the same way as TigChatt. Technically it isn't the last "chapter" but the writing style and just overall storytelling style didn't seem to flow with the rest of the book... This will be interesting to talk about more and see what JKR has to say. I think she has interviews lined up soon and she's promised to answer more questions and be pretty forthcoming about everything.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

The way I took that to mean that she meant the very last chapter NOT the epilogue.
    Lol. I just had to laugh because we posted the same idea at the same time.

PS. Do we realllllyyy have to wait 10 days? Can't we whittle it down just a bit?
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

The way I took that to mean that she meant the very last chapter NOT the epilogue. But if she meant that then you would think that she would have elaborated a little more on it. I'm glad that she FINALLY did put people together in it.
    Hmmm....I'm not sure. I assumed she meant the epilogue when she said the last chapter was written, because when she has talked about it, she has also said that the last word was "scar", then in a recent interview, stated that now scar was not the last word, but close to it. And, since it was written years ago, it would kind of make sense that it didn't flow with the rest of the book. But, honestly, who knows.... Hopefully we'll find out more when the interviews start!

In case anyone doesn't know, NBC has a 3 part interview with her - parts 1 & 2 are on the Today show on July 26th, and 27th, and the 3rd will be on Dateline on July 29th!!

And Maryanne, I agree - this ban is KILLING me!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Let's compare.........

Standing in line at midnight to get a book.....COMPARED TO.....standing in line at midnight with children during EMH to ride Soarin?

Who's crazier....them or us?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand why people are willing to wait in a long line at midnight to get the final book. It's similar to anticipating a WDW trip. It's the feeling of wanting to get there as soon as possible. DW and I had reserved our copy (we read out loud to each other) at the local Books-a-Million and the line we waited in moved quickly. We got the book in about 15 minutes even though we were lined up outside the building.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

I work at a local bookstore and we held a Potter party. By midnight, we had about 200 people waiting to buy their HP book. I still had some individuals coming @ 1:30 AM to buy it. The series was a phenomenon unlike anything we will ever see again.
    '86,'87,'92 - Offsite
    '93 - Disneyland Hotel
    '95 - Disneyland Hotel - Honeymoon
    '01 - Fort Wilderness Cabins - MVMCP
    '03 - Wilderness Lodge
    '03 - Caribbean Beach
    '04 - POR
    '05 - POR/Polynesian - SW Weekends
    '06 - Polynesian - MNSSHP
    '07 - POR - MNSSHP
    '09 - Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything is wrong with the books or movies at all. I was just wondering who would stand in a gigantic line waiting for a book at midnight.
    Sorry, I also kind of took your first post to mean that you were making fun of it!

For me, I think there's two things to consider - the excitment of waiting these past 2 years for this, the final chapter in the story - and the need to prevent spoilers! Leaks got out, US publishers posted reviews prior to the release, and there was even an article in a NY paper about a man, stuck on broken down subway who got a little crazy and yelled the ending to a teenager reading her copy - he then had to deal with much verbal abuse from the other passengers! For every HP fan, especially the kids that have grown up with him, there's another person who takes pleasure in spoiling it for them. So, the sooner you get the book, the less time you have to spend avoiding all forms of media and entertainment!

But, aside from the WalMarts, etc., really most of the events were about fun. I took my son and two 13 year old friends to B&N. Conor, who's 7, dressed as a magician, one of the 13 year olds wore his Hogwarts robes - they all got to make wands, get tattoos, etc. It was just a party, with a magical setting. Standing in line would have only started at 11:30, when they called you by wristband number. But, as Mike took Con home, I left with the other two and we headed to a local supermarket, got our number for the book, took part in a scavenger hunt there, had some cake and then at midnight, they started calling numbers - no line, you just ran up and got the book when they called your number. We were in the car and driving home at 12:05. For the kids I was with, it was a great experience! And for my son, who got to enjoy some of it, it got him to sit down and read the 1st book in one weekend! It was awesome! Saturday was a beautiful day and it was so fun to sit in the backyard, early in the morning, with my coffee of course, reading DH's, with my son next to me, reading SS!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I am bursting too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My best friend has not read it yet and won't till later this week...so I have no one to discuss with.. I may sponaneously combust!!!! I can't wait to talk about it with you guys!
    michelle

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: