Quantcast AKL or WL in aug 2008?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default AKL or WL in aug 2008?

Hi there,

I'm a first time poster but not a first time reader. Me, my DH and DDs (2 and 5) are planning our trip to the US and DW (we live in Sweden) in aug 2008 and have trouble chosing a resort.

Last time we stayed at POR (1st time on prop) and loved it! This time we would like to upgrade to a deluxe to have some extra space and a balcony (as we love spending time there efter putting the children to bed).

We're trying to decide between AKL (pool view or WL. AKL would suit my oldest since she loves animals, but I've heard about the construction and read reviews about the service being "not-so-Disney-like". WL however seems to have excellent service, but I have doubts about the theme beng to "grow up" fo my little ones. AKL seems to have a nice pool area but WL has the boat to MK... Also the balconies at AKL seems nicer.

Can anyone please give me some advice to help us make a decision? Are the service really better at WL? Are the balconies equal? What about the pools? Which resort have the nicest restaurants (we didn't like the Boatwright at POR because of the noise level)?

Sept-Oct 2015 Family trip AKV
    Oct 2014 F&W Festival AKV
    Oct-Nov 2013 AKV and Disney Fantasy 7 night Western Caribbean
    March-April 2012 AKV and Disney Dream 5 night cruise (40 th Birthday!)
    Sept 2010 AKV, OKW and Vero Beach! (Honeymoon!)
    1989-2008 Multiple trips on and off prop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Personally, I do not think the WL theme is too adult-like for a 5 and 2 - I think the theme is perfect for the ages. It is almost like a fort. And, you can take a surrey bike over to the petting zoo at Ft. Wilderness. If you plan on going to Magic Kingdom a lot, I would pick WL. I really the boat ride to MK from the WL.

The AKL is a great resort with a wonderful pool but I found the inside a bit dark and the resort was far away from everything else at Disney World. I think the AKL has the better pool and slightly better restaurants than the WL - but, not by much. And, there are many other restaurants a boat ride and monorail ride away from the WL.

YOu can only see animals from your balacony at AKL if you pay for a savannah room.

Here is what I recommend:
    Stay at the WL but visit the AKL for a meal or two so you can visit the resort and see the animals. I would recommend Boma's for breakfast and Jikos for dinner.

Good luck deciding!
    Contemporary 10/82
    Polynesian 12/89
    Off-Site 2/02
    Port Orleans Riverside 5/02
    WL 2/03
    WL Concierge 10/03
    AKL 10/04
    WL 11/05
    WL Concierge 12/07
    WL- 11/08

Next trips
    WL - 11/11

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot! I would agree and say the WL might be the better choice with little ones. Both are well themed and have plenty of appeal, but I like WL better. Either way, have a great trip
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    We just returned from WL. I had booked two nights at AKL but changed my mind because of the construction, but there was none I could see when we visited there. I AM VERY GLAD WE STAYED PUT AT WL.
    We did just what a previous poster suggested went for dinner at Jiko one night. My sister and I went to dinner and my ds stayed at the WL in the Cubs Den (and loved it)
    The AKL is beautiful but it is dark. It just wasn't the place I could see my 5 yo DS having a blast at like WL. Wl gave me the more Deluxe feel and still gave my DS a fun place to stay.
    You can look out the big viewing windows to see the animals if you want too while visiting.

Good Luck and have FUN!!!!!

We are hooked!!!!
    Disneyland '73 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '81 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '87 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '92 off site (Family Home)
    DW Oct. '07 WL
    DW Sept '08 POFQ
    DW July '09 Off site (Family Home)
    DW Feb '12 POFQ
    DW Nov '13 Off site (Hilton Parc Soleil, YUCK!)

Post Thanks / Like

We're WL fans in this house. DD9 and DS2 love it. With little kids, you're probably going to be spending more time at MK than any other park. MK is a short boatride away from WL.

Things my kids love about WL:

The pool
    Goging down to the beach and watching the Electric Water Pageant
    The geyser
    Whispering Canyon
    Cubs Den crafts in the afternoon
    Taking the boat to MK
    Taking the boat to Ft. Wilderness to catch the campfire and a movie
    The stream in the middle of the lobby

We've never stayed at AKL, and have only been there once to eat at Boma, but AKL just didn't grab us. It was love at first sight with WL.

Have a great trip!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Wink A diff Dlx?

First off to Intercot!!
    Did you consider YC! Oh what a glorious place! Just a magnificent atmosphere at the Boardwalk marina. We have eaten in this hotel's restaurant and it is my 1st choice when I will upgrade to a deluxe. The pool is awesome, it's a shipwreck with slides, sand bottom floors and total fun for kids. At night when the Boardwalk is lite up it's a sight not to miss. They have wonderful looking balconies from what I can see and I believe you can see the fireworks that happen during illuminations at Epcot if you time it right and have a room facing the right direction. Just another little tip. Good luck and have fun planning!
    -Marcy-
    Mom to: Katina Ann "TiTi" & Adrianna Jacey "AJ"

DLR/ Summer of 1988

7/26 - 8/2 2003- Off Site
    7/2 - 7/9 2006- CBR Jamacia
    11/21 - 12/1 2007- CBR Martinique
    11/18 - 11/28 2009- Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

We loved WL.

We are also kind of torn about where we should stay for our next trip. AKL, WL, CR or BC.

We kind of want bunk beds, which I think limits us to AKL or WL, so we were thinking we'd try AKL just for something new, but based on the reviews here, we might stick with WL.

We really loved the theming at WL - the kids too! The pool area was really nice. I think the highlight for us was really the boat transportation. It made the trip to MK more magical. AND there were boats to the contemporary and to Ft Wilderness, which made some of our dining options more convenient as well.
    Kim1st
    1982 & 1985 Grandma's house
    10/2006 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for AKL especially with little ones. There is always something going on for them to do. We were there in late Sept. and the cm's were very friendly. The construction was not an issue. We never even heard a thing. The only thing we saw was a crane in the distance. We never had a full bus & never waited more than 2-10 mins for one to show up. The pool & hot tubs were very empty and relaxing. Have a great trip whatever you choose.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

We loooovvvvee WL. We have stayed in both. We have an 8 year old and a 14 month old. We have done WL 7 or 8 times. (Leaving on Sun for WL) AKL 2 times. We love the themeing here, my kids love it too. The whole thing is amazing from the moment you walk in. The smells and the music...aahhh. I wish I could bottle it and take it home. My DH and I almost tear up everytime we wlk through the front doors. Just thinking about it makes me misty eyed. The pool and slide area is great. You can take the boat over to the MK. (We love that) You are just a walk or a bike ride or a boat ride away from the Fort Wilderness campground. Go and see the AKL for the animals and food but stay at WL!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Thank you!

Thank you for the warm welcoming!I think you have convinced me - we're going for WL
    Sept-Oct 2015 Family trip AKV
    Oct 2014 F&W Festival AKV
    Oct-Nov 2013 AKV and Disney Fantasy 7 night Western Caribbean
    March-April 2012 AKV and Disney Dream 5 night cruise (40 th Birthday!)
    Sept 2010 AKV, OKW and Vero Beach! (Honeymoon!)
    1989-2008 Multiple trips on and off prop

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for WL! We stayed at a moderate this year because we met friends there (and we totally like it) however, we really missed WL. We like to get a courtyard view at WL and do enjoy sitting out on the balcony at nite or having coffee there early in the morning. And do have dinner at Whispering Canyon - it's noisy but the kids will really enjoy it. Have a great trip!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbellfan View Post
    Hello,

Personally, I do not think the WL theme is too adult-like for a 5 and 2 - I think the theme is perfect for the ages. And, you can take a surrey bike over to the petting zoo at Ft. Wilderness. If you plan on going to Magic Kingdom a lot, I would pick WL. I really the boat ride to MK from the WL.

The AKL is a great resort with a wonderful pool but I found the inside a bit dark and the resort was far away from everything else at Disney World. And, there are many other restaurants a boat ride and monorail ride away from the WL.

Here is what I recommend:
    Stay at the WL but visit the AKL for a meal or two so you can visit the resort and see the animals. I would recommend Boma's for breakfast and Jikos for dinner.

Good luck deciding!
    I agree 100%, especially with little ones. WL is much closer to everything, especially the MK. The pool at WL is fantastic, and there's also a beach where the kids can play in the sand. Be sure you take the kids to the Whispering Canyon in WL at least once for dinner. They will have a blast.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Stay at both! We're going to be in WDW Dec. 8th - 18th and will be staying at WL, AKL and BC! It's fun and you get a chance to try several resorts instead of just one.
    șoș Janice șoș

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for 1000. Any volunteers?

1971 - Day Trip
    1977 - Off Site
    1981 - CR
    1985 - Ft. Wilderness
    1991 - CR & CBR
    1997 - CBR
    2000 - Ft. Wilderness & BC
    2007 - WL, AKL & BC in Dec.

Post Thanks / Like

WL is my favorite resort! Hope you enjoy!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with either resort, but I have to vote for AKL. I loved it and so did my kids. We had the Savannah view which is great if you like to stay in your room or balcony, but we found so many other areas to view the animals. The cast members were very nice and knowledgeable about the animals. I like the dark, exotic feel better than the WL, personally. Boma and Jiko are awesome!! I like the counter service Mara's too. We love pool and patio, it is lush and tranquil. If you have little kids the zero entry pool is nice. There are kids activities there too. But you can't go wrong either way! Let us know how you like whichever you choose!
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

A vote for AKL. It is my husband's absolute favorite and he would stay there every time if I'd let him. I like to move around and stay at different places so were are debating WL or Cont. for our next visit. The restaurants at AKL are outstanding, and the pool is very nice. My daughter (3 at the time) loved it. We did have the place to ourselves however because it was one week after 9/11, so our perspective may have been skewed a bit. Have fun!
    Aug. 2017 - Disney Wonder Alaska
    Jan. 2017 - All-Star Sports
    Nov. 2015 - Contemporary
    Feb, 2014 - Disney Magic Cruise
    Sept. 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 - CSR
    Oct. 2008 - AKL and Contemporary
    Mar. 2004 - Disneyland
    Sept. 2002- Poly/Cruise
    Sept. 2001 - AKL
    Dec. 1995 - POR Honeymoon

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for WL!

Hubby and I have stayed at both resorts, and love the WL so much more. While we don't have children, we are definitely children at heart. =) I believe there are more activities to do at WL - even the main restaurant is fun!

The animals at AKL are cool to look at, but you can't get near them.

I think the first poster had a great idea - stay at WL and visit AKL (and AK!).

Enjoy! We'll be at the WL from late Aug-Sept 2008. YAY!
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: