Quantcast an outburst at the Hall of Presidents - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    I always spend so much time in the other countries that I end up skipping the American pavilion. This time we are going to check it out. I hope no one does this when we go. Other than info on the Presidents what else is there? I heard that they are adding in "National Treasure". So this thread doesn't get removed....tell me why you enjoy the American Adventure.
    Just to clarify, we are discussing the Hall of Presidents in the Magic Kingdom, not the American Adventure in Epcot.

In order to remain on topic, you may want to start another thread regarding your questions about the American Adventure.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the early poster...Dude was booing a robot? Go figure???

Personally I get a rather "annoyed" at anybody who tries to press hard political views on the general population in front of my child...THEN I find myself having to "explain" the WHY he/she might have done that (my DS gets really inquisitive about politics sometimes). We both know it's disrespectful. I'm really not in the mood to discuss "politcs" with an 11 year old (or younger) while on vacation. The booer should have been thrown out. I'm laying odds that the CM might have not seen "exactly" where it came from and they were in the middle of the row. To hard to go and snag them without causing further disruption.

Personally I'm not really all that pumped about the Hall of Presidents - but it's a great place to escape the heat and rest for a bit without going back to the hotel. Honestly it's been so long since we've been there I can't tell you much about it.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default Booing

This same sort of thing happened when we visited HOP shortly after 9-11. Several people booed and whispered when Clinton stood

It's very disrespectful. We have always told our children, if you can't respect the person, at lease respect the office, whatever it may be!
    '77- Offsite - '98,'99, '00, '01 - Dixie Landings; '01 - CS, Poly Cons, POR; '02 - WLV & WL; '03, '04, '05 - POR / Poly Cons.; 11-'05 AKL & Poly Cons.; '06 BCV & Poly Cons.; '07 POR & Poly Cons.; '08 SSV; '10 BWV & AKV; '12 BWV & AKV; '14 BWV & AKV; '15 BCV, BLV, BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Frankly, I find this very disrespectful regardless of whether it is an audio-animatronic figure, or a real person. The right to speak applies to everyone, not just those you agree with. Besides, how can you disagree with the message unless you actually hear it first. But to me, opposing opinions or views are no excuse for disrespectful, or rude, behavior. But that's just my opinion.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have never experienced anything like that, especially in the Hall of Presidents. It's an attraction that is meant for entertainment..not to express political views.

For that matter, Disney is no place to express political matters. I don't mind of people have their own opinions, but don't shove it down someone elses's throat..especially at a family resort..Just my two cents.

BTW that guy should have been thrown out of the park
    WDW-2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Just to clarify, we are discussing the Hall of Presidents in the Magic Kingdom, not the American Adventure in Epcot.

In order to remain on topic, you may want to start another thread regarding your questions about the American Adventure.
    Well, I haven't been to that either but will have after this trip.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    Is this typically allowed? A few weeks ago, our family went to the Hall of Presidents. When it came to the part where all of the presidents get introduced, a man in the crowd began to "boo" really loudly and make a scene when George Bush was introduced and kept at it to the point where we couldn't hear much of what was being said when George Bush was making the speech. Now I understand that everyone has different feelings about the president, but is it really necessary to display them during a WDW attraction? Regardless of whether or not you like the current president, shouldn't you still be respectful? And if not respectful for the president, at least respectful of the other guests that are trying to hear the show? I was really surprised that a CM did not ask this man to be quiet. Has anyone else witnessed such an outburst at the Hall of Presidents?
    That's so rude! People need to learn when to keep their opinions to themselves. He's lucky I wasn't there! I would have told him off!
    Trips to WDW:
    March 2007 Disney's All Star Movies
    Sept/Oct. 2007 Disney's Port Orlean's Riverside
    Dec. 2008 Pop Century
    April/May 2010 Polynesian

**Countless trips to the Disneyland Resort**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    I like to imagine that there is a special bubble around Disney World where there are no politics... just happy times for guests.
    Amen! I think one of the thousands of reasons why I love DW is because it's the one place I don't have to deal with politics for once!

2021: Upcoming stay at CBR and BCR
    2021: FW Cabin
    2019: Off Property!
    2018: OKW
    2017: FW Cabin
    2016: Off Property!
    2015: Off Property!
    2015: GF
    2008: ASSports
    2005: CBR
    1995: POR
    1994: POR
    1990: CBR
    1986-1989: POLY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    Is this typically allowed? A few weeks ago, our family went to the Hall of Presidents. When it came to the part where all of the presidents get introduced, a man in the crowd began to "boo" really loudly and make a scene when George Bush was introduced and kept at it to the point where we couldn't hear much of what was being said when George Bush was making the speech. Now I understand that everyone has different feelings about the president, but is it really necessary to display them during a WDW attraction? Regardless of whether or not you like the current president, shouldn't you still be respectful? And if not respectful for the president, at least respectful of the other guests that are trying to hear the show? I was really surprised that a CM did not ask this man to be quiet. Has anyone else witnessed such an outburst at the Hall of Presidents?
    When it all comes down to it, this man has serious issues. Because essentially......he was boo-ing a robot.

Think about that!

Chris
    Remembering the Magic:
    March 1997 - Off site
    March 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2007 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach Resort
    September 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

UP NEXT::
    October 2009//MNSSHP//CSR!!

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, people will find a way to ruin just about anything....even a WDW attraction...when it comes to politics. I've never seen an incidient at HOP and I would have been stunned. I'm very suprised the CM didn't insist the man either quiet down or leave. I would have complained to guest services or something, just to make the higher ups aware of the situation. That's just ridiculous, it's a robot. I hope we don't have this problem on our Dec trip.
    CTennant

~For you see, in the end it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very disturbing on a number of fronts. The thing that bothers me the most is that the individual must have planned his outburst prioro to going into the HoP. I would have been very upset and would not have been able to sit quietly and allowed this to happen. My wife and I try to raise our children with a great sense of pride for our country regardless of who is in power. Our trips to HoP and the AA in Epcot are very Patriotic for us. I even tend to tear during the AA because of my strong sense of pride. I am a Veteran of the Armed Forces and am very proud of our Country. I would never do such a thing in this setting.
    Annual Pass Holder!
    Multiple Day Trips
    Too Many Hotel Stays to List!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    Its sad that people cant respect the leader of the free world for crying out loud. WDW is indeed a MAJOR part of Americana.
    While I agree that the patron's behavior was incorrect, I think it is unfair to presume that people *must* respect a particular person.

The individual in question clearly doesn't respect Bush, and he shouldn't *have* to. The title, position, or job of an individual shouldn't automatically garner respect. Action and principle of the individual should.
    "People can be only divided into good or bad; their race, religion, nationality don't matter." Irena Krzyzanowska

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. yes. during GW Bush as well. People booed. It was so funny.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I can't believe this post got dragged back out again from our HOP visit in early August! I have since returned from another Disney trip just last week for Halloween. I am proud to report that there were no outbursts during my visit last week. When I originally wrote the post, I only mentioned that the man booed President Bush. When we were there last week, my DH reminded me that the man also stood up and applauded for Richard Nixon. I had forgotten about that. What some people will do.
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinfamily5 View Post
    Even my children have been taught that even if you do not like the President, you MUST still respect the position of President. How disappointing
    My thoughts exactly.

How selfish to ruin the show for others around you by booing during it.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    I wonder if he even knew he was booing essentially a robot. Hope he felt manly doing so.
    Priceless observation.

I had wondered if this had ever happened. Should have known there would be at least one idiot out there who would see nothing wrong with ruining others HoP experience just to boo at a robot.
    My 3 favorite parts of the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival.. the food, the wine, and the festival!!

Jambo!! AKV Owners as of Oct '07

Most Recent Visits:
    CR/OKW/POR Nov 2006
    AKL Dec 2006 and Jan 2007
    AKL/CR Oct 2007
    Future visits:
    AKV/OKW Dec 2007
    AKV May and Sept/Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't get this at all...no matter what you feel about the current president, or any president, this is an attraction, and it is rude to disrupt any attraction....end of story in my books.

It should have less to do with pride or anger at the american political system, and more to do with just general decent behaviour!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Although most humans have the same opinion of Bush as the gentleman in question, it wasn't right to do what he did.

However, his view of the Bush animatronic as Bush himself is more in the spirit of the attraction and WDW itself instead of the 'it's a robot!' statements.

They call it the Hall of Presidents, not The Hall of Robots. The guy went along and suspended his disbelief, as many of us do.

When you meet "Mickey" most don't treat him as what he actually is but as a beloved animated character who just so happens to be hanging out with us in the real world.

As a species, we're big on symbols. Take some fabrics and make a flag. Someone burns it, and suddenly we need to rewrite the consitution to protect what you could easily call 'some cloth'.

Take two straight lines, make a cross, and now it's a revered icon.

Take a robot, make it look like W., and, yes, some will take it for what it represents instead of what it actually 'is' along the same lines.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malip View Post
    This is very disturbing on a number of fronts. The thing that bothers me the most is that the individual must have planned his outburst prioro to going into the HoP. I would have been very upset and would not have been able to sit quietly and allowed this to happen. My wife and I try to raise our children with a great sense of pride for our country regardless of who is in power. Our trips to HoP and the AA in Epcot are very Patriotic for us. I even tend to tear during the AA because of my strong sense of pride. I am a Veteran of the Armed Forces and am very proud of our Country. I would never do such a thing in this setting.
    Unfortunately, patriotism seems to be a lost value in our education system these days.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I try to look at it this way -- people believe about any president, whether Clinton, Bush or whoever, exactly what the press wants them to believe. No one has a real view because we are not in that office everyday, we just get half-stories that slant whichever way the media wants it to slant, and most of it boils down to gossip. We arrogantly assume that we know something when really we are operating on very little information -- that a man takes that very little information he gets through the media and turns it into hatred vented at a robot in front of people's kids is a sad commentary on us as a nation.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: