Quantcast Disney Dining Experience Program Changes - Page 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I read a large portion of the 11 pages of posts to this thread and II'm still not sure if this applies to out of pocket customers? Can someone let me know.
    From one of Figment!'s posts:
    Thank you for contacting us.

We appreciate your interest in the policy change regarding gratuity at
    our food and beverage locations. We apologize if the information
    created some confusion. The 18% gratuity will be included when Guests
    are parties of six or more
    enjoy dining experiences at our Table Service
    locations or if Guests are members of the exclusive Disney Dining
    Experience
    , a dining discount program for eligible Florida Residents and
    Annual Passholders 21 years of age and older.

Your comments are very important to us and we assure you that they have
    been shared with the appropriate areas. We look forward to showcasing
    our finest food and beverage experiences with you.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Executive Offices
    Walt Disney World Resort
    Jeff

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    It shouldn't be about how to squeeze every last penny out of everyone.
    They can't do it without your permission.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    They can't do it without your permission.
    Ummm, I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say they can’t do it without your permission so let me apologize in advance if my response does not match your intent.

If you meant that the restaurant can not charge you the 18% without you telling them they can then I believe your statement is not correct. Several years ago I read about a lawsuit that happened in Kentucky when a patron of a restaurant sued because they did not like the service they received but were charged a gratuity anyway because of the size of their party. The verdict was in favor of the restaurant.

In announcing the verdict the judge said that as long as the restaurant had properly informed their patrons of the gratuity policy then they could basically do what they wanted and they only choice the patron had was to take their business elsewhere. The definition of properly informing the patrons of the policy was that they had to post the policy on the door of the restaurant, list in the menu, and in those restaurants where the patron pays at a cash register then they had to post it there as well.

While laws can certainly vary from state to state, I suspect that this one is probably pretty similar in most states. Just my two cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Ummm, I am not exactly sure what you mean when you say they can’t do it without your permission so let me apologize in advance if my response does not match your intent.
    Thank you.

Actually, I believe we are on the same page here. I understood the poster I quoted to be saying that Disney is trying to “maximize profits across the board”, not just with this particular change. My response was a simplified way of saying what others here have said, “If you don’t like it, then stop giving Disney your money.”

I believe that Disney is in their right to implement these specific changes and the best recourse we have, as customers, is to stop giving Disney our money.

Just for the record, I will continue to give them my money.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't run the numbers yet, but a replacement for the DDE might just be to get the DDP and just not leave a tip. The problem is still going to finding a good value combination on the plan.

Sure, it punishes he servers, but might just send the message. On the DDP, tipping is still up to you, as it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    get the DDP and just not leave a tip.
    Sure, it punishes he servers, but might just send the message. On the DDP, tipping is still up to you, as it should be.
    Wow, I am amazed that anyone would suggest not tipping! If you can afford to go to Walt Disney World and spend $$$ on transportation, hotel, tickets and food, I'm sure you can afford to tip your server for a job well done.
    DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Wow, I am amazed that anyone would suggest not tipping! If you can afford to go to Walt Disney World and spend $$$ on transportation, hotel, tickets and food, I'm sure you can afford to tip your server for a job well done.
    Yes, you are right, but my point was mostly that tipping IS an option on the DDP. And, if service is bad, then no tip is an option. For me, it is an appropriate way to punish bad service.

The problem is though, the DDP isn't a very good value so I'm guessing that the DDE is still the best value overall. I'd like to mention though, I've never had a time under the DDE that a bad tip was necessary, but I do think that is partly do the fact that I could yank a tip from a server if the service is bad. Automatic gratuity is not a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Restaurant tipping here in the UK is typically 5% - 15%. If service is bad then frequently no tip is left. In my experience, service in the US is generally better and IMO this is linked to the tipping culture differences.

There are significant exceptions to this such as a Chinese restaurant near to me and some of the servers at some other theme parks in Florida that I won't name
    Past trips
    1980 - DisneyWorld somewhere ;)
    2000 - Disney's All Stars
    2005 - Honeymoon @ POP Century
    2008 - POFQ

Man I need to get there more often

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mike that we all should be prepared to tip at least 15% for good service. But I continually sense this sense of entitlement to a tip regardless of what happens. A tip should never be assumed (or made automatic). Raise the cost of the food and pay the servers better if you want that. Leaving no tip should always be considered an option to show displeasure.

As other's have mentioned, tipping is a cultural thing as well. In Japan, you are insulting your server if you leave a tip. You are saying "here is extra money, go take a class on how to do your job." But WDW is in the US and it's US customs so everyone should know a tip for good service is expected but everyone should also know that not leaving a tip for poor service is part of the process as well. Do not reward poor service or poor restaurant management.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Hmmm, I would be okay with your plan but this would have to include a provision that the full 18% gratuity is passed on to the wait staff regardless of if you are a WDW owned restaurant or not.
    Agreed. I'd like to see that be a provision, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AVITWeb View Post
    Bring on the price increase...I would GLADLY pay extra to have those things included. I don't think its absurb at all to pay say $50 a day per adult to add an appetizer and tip...

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    Another thing, am I the only person who feels that paying 18% at a buffet (like Hollywood & Vine) for a server who brings me drinks is a rip-off???
    No, I totally agree. An 18% tip for a buffet server is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    To add insult to injury, let's also not forget about the new Holiday Surchage that will apply to buffets during the upcoming holiday seasons.

Turkey Week - Nov 18th - Nov 24
    Santa Weeks - Dec 16 - Jan 5
    Bunny Weeks - Mar 16 - Mar 29
    Memorial Months - May 25 - Jul 5

Expect an additional $4 per seat added to your bill. Currently it appears this is just buffets, BUT I can't imagine this not also applying to regular TS locations as well.
    Right now they're saying buffets only, but I agree ... it's highway robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by frakers View Post
    I am all for emailing to voice displeasure with whatever the subject may be and I've done it many times but Disney isn't going to change anything as long as they get more money.
    That's not entirely true. Disney has, in the past, reversed unpopular decisions when they received enough guest emails about it. And that's regardless of the potential fiscal benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I know that's what it's about. I was just saying it's all about getting RECORD PROFITS. It shouldn't be about how to squeeze every last penny out of everyone.
    Agreed. I'm a die-hard capitalist, but how much is enough??
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As others have already said it is not about having the money or not wanting to spend it. Rather, as others have said, it is about the entitlement mentality that goes on with such a “forced” gratuity.

The whole point of a tip is to reward good service. When a restaurant automatically adds the tip then the incentive to provide first rate service drops way off. It is also about feeling like we are being “shook down” by the company by forcing us to pay for something that is traditionally based on quality of service.

I would love to see more restaurants pay a better wage to their wait staff and then do a truly good job of supervising that wait staff and using things like pay raises and continued employment as incentives to good service rather than using gratuities for this function.

When we visit friends who live in a small town on the Illinois border north of Chicago we always visit a restaurant there that is a mid priced table service place that does not allow tips to be paid. Instead they pay their wait staff above minimum wage and then manage them closely to assure quality service.

I have to say as a patron that I love this idea. They have very little turnover in their wait staff, the wait staff seem to be basically happy and most importantly we have never had a bad experience with their service in the last 10 years that we have been going there. And before you say that if we lived there and went more often that our experience might be different I can say that our friends go there an average of at least twice a month and have never had a bad experience.

My point is that if restaurants really want to do things different it can be done!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Restaurant tipping here in the UK is typically 5% - 15%. If service is bad then frequently no tip is left. In my experience, service in the US is generally better and IMO this is linked to the tipping culture differences.
    And there was I thinking that in our country the minimum was 10% but quite often restaurants add 12.5% automatically as a service charge and then expect you to tip too!

It is a different culture and one tips differently in the US. In the US the level of service reflects the level of tip. I can see the advantages there. I can also see the advantages of having a better minimum wage.

From comments going around some of the boards saying servers can get $50-80 thousand including tips I suspect some servers in the UK might like to change systems. Remember in the UK we hate complaining so an auto tip is less likely to be challenged by us. I have to admit after a lot of trips to the US I am more willing to say when I am not happy with service - in the US or the UK.
    Mikki
    INTERCOT staff - DVC, Characters, Collectibles and Games

2017 Feb WDW Festival of Art and hopefully winter sunshine
    2017 Aug Disneyland bound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    And there was I thinking that in our country the minimum was 10% but quite often restaurants add 12.5% automatically as a service charge and then expect you to tip too!
    I have met people who just flat out don't tip. I have also met people who tip 20% unless the service is awfull. I think it depends on where you are and who you are with. If somewhere adds a service charge then I won't tip on top of that 9 times out of 10. The service charge is optional and you are well within your rights to subtract it from the bill. I have never done this but if the service was appalling then I certainly would.

Quote Originally Posted by dlpmikki View Post
    It is a different culture and one tips differently in the US. In the US the level of service reflects the level of tip. I can see the advantages there. I can also see the advantages of having a better minimum wage.

From comments going around some of the boards saying servers can get $50-80 thousand including tips I suspect some servers in the UK might like to change systems. Remember in the UK we hate complaining so an auto tip is less likely to be challenged by us. I have to admit after a lot of trips to the US I am more willing to say when I am not happy with service - in the US or the UK.
    I agree, things are totally different with advantages and disadvantages to each system.
    Past trips
    1980 - DisneyWorld somewhere ;)
    2000 - Disney's All Stars
    2005 - Honeymoon @ POP Century
    2008 - POFQ

Man I need to get there more often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    What else would we expect it to be about? Disney is a business.

I guess it would really be a magical place if they were not concerned with profits.... but then they wouldn't stay in business very long.
    I don't think the issue is not wanting them to be a profitable enterprise. The issue is with Wall Street demanding that profits be LARGER each quarter, not simply that profits be posted at all. IMO, any business that posts a profit is getting the job done and those with losses are coming up short. According to Wall Street, if your profits are lower than last quarter, the same as last, or not quite as high as they expected, then you're a bad business.

Post Thanks / Like

im not entirely happy w this. and the buffet is a little much. i do tip some at buffets but not the same as full service.
    i havent received any bad service that i really remember. and the 2 times i was on DDP it seemed still good.
    just have to complain if you get bad service i guess.
    and somehow do need a way to make sure its the waiter/waitress getting the tip
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy former waitress

I have many years experience as a waitress. I have worked in TS, buffet and fast food type services. I hate to brag but I am an excellent waitress and I have had people not tip no matter how good the service is. I have had others tip more than the average but when that is your living one doesn't make up for the other. At a buffet I don't expect the normal gratuity when all you do is take the customer a drink and take plates off the table. We are taking our first trip to disney in March an this doesn't make us happy at all. We have always tipped well because I know what it is like to try and make it on waitress wages. I am sure they are much higher at Disney than it's here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Kim View Post
    We have always tipped well because I know what it is like to try and make it on waitress wages. I am sure they are much higher at Disney than it's here.
    That's funny... Disney doesn't pay well across the board, I'm positive wait staff is no exception.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I was waiting for someone to mention buffets

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyTwinsMommy View Post
    That is definitely not right! They are basically raising the price of each meal by 18% and there is nothing you can do about it. If that is the case they might as well really raise prices by 18% and eliminate tips, it's the same thing they are doing now! Tipping should be determined by the diner, not the management. Also, I do NOT feel that tipping should be 18% at buffets where I have to get my own food, sure I appreciate you getting my drink, but really... I got up and got my own food! The nickel and dime-ing that is going on at Disney is getting out of hand.
    I am also pretty much a straight 20% tipper or better with good service,and I tip on the pre-discounted meal. But I do not do this for buffets. The buffet server should not expect 20% as they are typically waiting on double the amount of tables (8-10 rather than 4-5) as a regular menu ts server, and only clearing plates and bringing drinks. 10% is customary in a buffet setting, although I usually tip more.

The point is, where is the motivation for the server who knows he/she is getting a set tip? Some of them are not even motivated when a tip is not set in stone. I used to hide my DDE card until the check came to avoid the wait person knowing I even had a discount on my meal for fear of not getting the same service.
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

Well after 11 pages I might as well put my two cents into the pot. I still believe that the DDE is a good deal, but like many I do not like the automatic gratuity. I think service can and will suffer. I plan on judging my service and if it is lacking, I will be sure to take it up with the management. I have never really had bad service before, but at times, the wait staff was not as attentive as I would have liked. I used to judge my waiter/waitress by how long my drink glass remained empty and adjust their tip accordingly. I guess now, I will judge it by the same standards and decide whether to lodge a complaint if it does not live up to expectations.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned fromWDW on Friday. We did notice that at all the TS restaurants we ate that 18% was added to our DDP receipt and to our out of pocket receipt (drinks). It took us 2 meals to realize that the tip was already added in when we received our OOP bill because there was a place to add an additional tip. We did not see this at CS. We were only a party of 3 not the larger parties they said they would add this to. Just thought I would let people know our experiences. Will add our trip report in the next few days.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: