Quantcast Spaceship Earth Revamp - Wonderful AND Woeful - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celestria View Post
    all those scenes going down were about communication, fitting for AT&T but not exactly for siemans..
    Actually, Siemens is a major conglomerate and one of their six divisions is in fact communications. Also, the ride was always about the history of communications....
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Regardless of the comments I've read, and the abundance of negativity about the changes, I'm looking forward to seeing the revamped Spaceship Earth.

I love ready people's opinions, but take what a read not just with a grain of salt, but a whole block of salt. There are always al lot of people who simply are never going to like anything that changes. There as also folks who are just intent of find fault whether it's justified or not. I think I'll continue to look forward to riding it, and make my judgement AFTER I see it for myself, AFTER the refurb is complete.

Guess I'm just not into advance negativity or pre-judging. I'll wait for the actual thing.

I'm also ok with the fact that they changed it. I know the ride is going to be different, and I know it's always been a favorite. But if we never change anything, we'll always just have the same old thing. What it was is now a fond memory, but what it is will be a new adventure. I'm ok with letting go and judging new based on what it is rather than comparing it to what it was. As was, though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I rode it as mainly a nostalgia thing. There was nothing new about it, it was not a high energy or overly entertaining experience. It was (and I've heard others say this) a relaxing break, a cool spot, that honestly sometimes resulted in a momentary doze. Living on nostalgia is all fine and good, but I'm looking forward to seeing something different.

Sorry to not be negative, but it's just not in me here. I'll ready all the opinions, but I'll hold off on making my assessment until I've ridden the final version for myself.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Default i agree

[QUOTE
    I'm also ok with the fact that they changed it. I know the ride is going to be different, and I know it's always been a favorite. But if we never change anything, we'll always just have the same old thing. What it was is now a fond memory, but what it is will be a new adventure. QUOTE]

I agree 100%- There is good change and I look forward to seeing it- and its not like they took the Sphere and made it a Triangle- or replaced it with a "History of Table Salt" theme.

I remember when the Tiki Room was upgraded, or test track took over for World of Motion- Hesitant at first but now its a new part of our experience.
    If they removed it, then I would complain, but upgrading it is a good thing,
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Guess I'm just not into advance negativity or pre-judging. I'll wait for the actual thing.
    Just so we're clear, I'm not "pre-judging it."

I rode it. It stinks (IMO). I'm post-judging it.

Honestly, you're more than welcome to wait and form your own opinions (in fact, I'd think less of you if you didn't), but I'll frankly be shocked if even the most "rose colored glasses" among us are happy with this revamp.

It seriously looks like they just flat out ran out of money once they hit the top of the ride. It's nothing short of an embarrassment.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

...and I was looking forward to riding the revamped Journey Into Imagination too after reading about the redo in Disney Magazine... and then I rode it and realized everything everyone was saying was correct.

Imagineering failed.

Sometimes "upgrading" is a bad thing. Just look at Windows Vista for proof!
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I REALLY wanted to withhold judgement on it until I rode it but I have no idea how long it's going to be before I get to Florida again (March is a pipe dream, summer 2008 is unlikely, and 2009 or 2010 seems the most realistic, sadly.) So, being the resident ride reviewer around here (self-professed, of course, haha) I think it's time I chime in.

The animatronics scenes seem basically unchanged, which is a good thing, since everyone feared they might be "ruined." I'm glad that the earth and the stars remained at the top of the ride (which some early reports had gone, as I understand it.) I don't necessarily have a problem with the descent being "nothing" except the screen portions (though it wouldn't have killed them to put in some fiberoptic lights or something) except for the fact that the screen stuff looks terrible. I only saw the 10 second clip on Intercot but it seems like some really cheezy Horizons-level hokieness. A FLYING CAR. C'mon. Could they have picked a more ridiculous cliche?

It doesn't seem to have been made worse (since the scenes they removed from the old ride were awful in and of themselves) but it's not really an outstanding improvement. I'll withold final judgement until I ride it but, hey, let's count our blessings. At least it's not a roller coaster.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    II only saw the 10 second clip on Intercot but it seems like some really cheezy Horizons-level hokieness. A FLYING CAR. C'mon. Could they have picked a more ridiculous cliche?
    You really have to experience the video segment in conjunction with the blankness around you to actually get the full feel for how terrible it really is.

There is not one shred of creativity or imagination used from the top of the ride to the end. The entire video sequence is one ludicrous, Jetsons-like cliche after another. Horrific.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    Sorry to not be negative, but it's just not in me here. I'll ready all the opinions, but I'll hold off on making my assessment until I've ridden the final version for myself.
    I agree completely. Well said.
    Upcoming Trips:
    September 17-26, 2009: Bouncing Back for Free Dining at POFQ

Past Disney Trips:
    February 24-March 3, 2007: Coronado Springs
    September 25- October 4, 2008: POFQ Water View, Dolphins in Depth Tour

Post Thanks / Like

Jim "Consider the Source" Hill has eluded to the fact that it's only open now to help with park capacity issues (meaning profits as I stated earlier). Which may mean there are some changes coming.

The problems I have in believing that, as much as I want to, is that with this being the busiest time of the year, you're going to dissapoint a lot of people. Word of mouth will travel like a California wildfire and then the Internet will get up in arms over the whole thing. So, to risk all the bad press, and it is getting a lot of bad press, doesn't make a ton of sense.

Who knows, maybe they will be able to finish the other 1/2 of the ride in a couple of months. Maybe the elves will stop by once XMas is over and lend a hand. It appears they need all the help they can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You really have to experience the video segment in conjunction with the blankness around you to actually get the full feel for how terrible it really is.

There is not one shred of creativity or imagination used from the top of the ride to the end. The entire video sequence is one ludicrous, Jetsons-like cliche after another. Horrific.
    I concur totally. And I saw it twice, just to make sure I wasn't imagining anything. (Actually, that was the problem - they didn't imagineer ANYTHING!!)You cannot believe the letdown after the great things they did on the first half of the ride. I exited in total disbelief and shock at what they had done to the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Jim "Consider the Source" Hill has eluded to the fact that it's only open now to help with park capacity issues (meaning profits as I stated earlier). Which may mean there are some changes coming.
    I certainly don't mean to disparage Jim Hill's credibility, but John has a pretty darn good source in Imagineering and it's been basically confirmed to us that what you see is what you get.

I think we can say with above 90% certainty that what you're seeing is what you're getting, barring maybe a few tweaks here and there.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I too think that what's currently there is what we get. I found it interesting though. I do know they need the capacity or risk turning folks away at the busiest time of year. And it's just so darn hard to beleive they would let it end with such a let down.

The animatronics up to the 1/2 point are fantastic! I don't mind anything up until there really (besides the narration), and then... darkness! An endless void of uncreativity.

Not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy I'm rather disapointed with Disney

Disney, sadly, seems to have repeated itself with ride revamps. When I was little, Journey Into Imagination was my favorite ride, that is until they decided to change it. People were disappointed with that version, and so they changed it again. Now, it's completely lost the "spark" it had. I liked Spaceship Earth just the way it was. Why did they have to go and change it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Actually, Siemens is a major conglomerate and one of their six divisions is in fact communications. Also, the ride was always about the history of communications....
    i truthfully do not know what type of company siemans is. i just guessed it didn't have anything to do with communication, since i never heard of it.
    once there was a princess who never let her imagination stop her from dreaming up scenes and stories as she walked around the park.
    so if you ever see someone talking to herself, that would be me.

Celestria
    p.s. i may be a disney fan, but i can't spell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Like I said, I haven't been on it yet but now I'm more curious than anything else. Would you compare it to that part of the new Journey into Imagination where it just has a sign that says "Figment, This Way -->" before you get to the "house" because they wanted to use the scene from the old ride but couldn't come up with something to put right before it? Because that's how it sounds. "We really want to do this video screen thing, hopefully people won't notice they're in a GIANT EMPTY ROOM and just focus on the little thing we want them to look at."
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

I think what they've done is to try and avoid what has happened before in Horizons and Spaceship Earth - create new scenes of the future that become outdated and in need of replacement in a few years. They created video scenes that they could easily change inexpensively instead of actual ride scenes.

But I hate the thought of the descent now being an empty black tunnel. If they were to re-add some lighting and sound effects and improve the video then the rehab would be much better.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The animatronics up to the 1/2 point are fantastic! I don't mind anything up until there really (besides the narration), and then... darkness!
    I agree. I think that's one of the things that makes the ending so bad ... the first 1/2 is so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    Would you compare it to that part of the new Journey into Imagination where it just has a sign that says "Figment, This Way -->" before you get to the "house" because they wanted to use the scene from the old ride but couldn't come up with something to put right before it?
    It's worse ... at least that segment has a sign on the wall. SE is just blank, black curtains.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, man!! This whole thing just sounds completely awful. It seems the more reports we get, the worse it gets.

And to top it off, there doesn't seem to be one darn thing we can do about it!
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time...and for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us, to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CareBear_04
    Disney, sadly, seems to have repeated itself with ride revamps. When I was little, Journey Into Imagination was my favorite ride, that is until they decided to change it. People were disappointed with that version, and so they changed it again. Now, it's completely lost the "spark" it had. I liked Spaceship Earth just the way it was. Why did they have to go and change it?

Welcome To INTERCOT
    CareBear_04
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawleyPlatoon View Post
    And to top it off, there doesn't seem to be one darn thing we can do about it!
    Well, maybe there is - John posted the names and addresses of executives at the Walt Disney Company a few pages back on this thread somewhere. Why not write (snail mail is better) and let the company know exactly what you think? I did!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: