Quantcast Vacation w/o DH?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Vacation w/o DH?

I was just wondering if anyone has taken a WDW vacation without their DH or spouse? My DH is now saying no vacation this year because of his debt (school & car loan...and such)! If you have taken a mini vacation by yourself how did your spouse take to the idea?

I'm think that just because he "can't" go on vacation doesn't mean that I can't!! We have AP's and I want to go again! I wouldn't go for too long since I would be by myself....I would probably go for 5-6 days. I'm just tossing around the idea since my DH said "no vacation" last night. My response to that was, "Well, it doesn't mean I can't go." Of course he said nothing back.....
    Possible 3rd Trip: Sept 2008
    ?

2nd Trip:
    Nov 23 - Dec 9 2007
    POP Century

POFQ 2006 (Honeymoon)- July 2-July 16
    First WDW trip

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how long you've been married but I think your looking to start WWIII.I know that in our house if we can't afford it we won't go.I remember when we were lucky if we could go every 5 years.I really don't think it's fair if one goes and the other one doesn't because of finances.If I was the one sitting home I'd be pretty ticked off.Just my .
    Last edited by PetefromRI; 02-03-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: changed data
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

Once you're married, doesn't "his" debt become "our" debt?

I myself have taken several mini trips by myself or since I've had kids, with my kids but no DH. I get a lot more time off than DH.

But, if it's a money concern, that's something you both need to acknowledge and maybe make sacrifices for.

Try compromising. You have AP's. So, maybe cut the trip shorter than you normally would - maybe 3 days. Stay at a value. Cuts corners wherever you can.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

Every year we have a family vacation, a weekend for DH and myself, I get a girls weekend (or two) and DH has a guys weekend (or two). We love this. But in our early days when money was tight.....there weren't much of vacations.

If you skip "your" vacation think of the money you will save and decrease debt so you can go on a trip sooner together.

If you really need a vacation, go visit someone in driving distance and stay at their house. The best cheap vacation and you catch with family or friends.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I am taking my DS and DD in June for a (long)Star Wars weekend in June with my DH. He really didn'[t want to go and we were just there so we are going alone. I went once before kids by myself and i had a blast. I am not sure I would have as much fun now going alone without the kids. They make it even more fun!

I would either make your trip a quickie at a value or I would just wait and help to shrink the debt together. My husband and I have been together for a long time and do seperate trips each year with friends. But IMHO, I could forego a trip to get out of debt! I hate owing anyone money!

You could always use the trip as an incentive to get out of debt faster and work towards a trip as your goal!

Just my

Post Thanks / Like

I would go without DH, but he's my nurse, and I NEED him. (Nobody passes that on, - I'll deny it). He likes Disney, and would go just because I love it, but he certainly doesn't have as much fun. Up until a year ago, I would go to Vegas once a year for Creative Painting Convention, and he never minded. Last Feb. I invited him to fly up and meet me because he'd never seen the "strip", and he got interested in oil painting at the trade show, bought all the stuff, came home and did his first canvas. It wasn't bad either.

Now that we've discovered how accomodating DLR is, he would see me off with DD or a friend for a long week-end. HOWEVER, if money were tight, I'd never ask. I'm just guessing, but if he's paying on a school loan, chances are, you're lots younger than we are. Back off if it's going to break the bank. Save, dream, and wait.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

I returned Thursday night (1/31/08) from a 3 night stay at OKW without my family. Kids were in school, wife could not get away and we had these points we could not bank, so I used them up.

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and I have made 2 trips in the last 2 years to DW w/o our DHs. The first was a trip I had booked thru the vacation club for me and DH. However, he got seriously ill a couple of months before we were to go and used all his vacation time before his sick leave kicked in. Once he was well and back to work, sis and I went since everything was paid for ( room, airline tickets-I had AP, she had to buy park ticket and we both did the dining plan) or we would have lost the money spent already.(& by that time, I needed to get away). The second time was in Sept. 07, since we both decided we needed to get away. Stayed at POR w/free dining, so cost was minimal again.
    If saving money had been a consideration, probably wouldn't have done either, but with that said, I would have lost my points at the VC so he said why not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by berri_boo View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has taken a WDW vacation without their DH or spouse? My DH is now saying no vacation this year because of his debt (school & car loan...and such)! If you have taken a mini vacation by yourself how did your spouse take to the idea?

I'm think that just because he "can't" go on vacation doesn't mean that I can't!! We have AP's and I want to go again! I wouldn't go for too long since I would be by myself....I would probably go for 5-6 days. I'm just tossing around the idea since my DH said "no vacation" last night. My response to that was, "Well, it doesn't mean I can't go." Of course he said nothing back.....
    Sound like the last time I asked my wife if I could go with the guys on a cross country football trek. The answer was, "Sure! Go ahead!" Needless to say I didn't go...

I hear so many people who are married with "my" account and "your" acocunt, etc. I feel it's just preparing for a divorce. Once you are married, it's we, not me and you, IMHO. If he can't go on vacation, that really means YOU (collectively) can't go on vacation.

I'd really work on that debt as a team, it will go down faster meaning less time between vacations.

Just a nickle's worth of free advice...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I'd really work on that debt as a team, it will go down faster meaning less time between vacations.
    I'm with DizneyRox on this one.

I've certainly gone on vacation without my DH and to WDW no less. But I don't think that I would be able to have a good time if I were planning a vacation under those circumstances.

I wonder, looking at your signature, you and your DH go to WDW on super-long vacations.

I don't know what your situation is exactly but is there room to compromise - perhaps you could go down for a just few days on a budget - that way you make use of your APs before they expire and get your WDW fix in but not blow the bank.

Good luck.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda have to agree with the above posters that said his debt is your debt now that you are married. Like others have mentioned, compromise. Shorter trip, put the money you would have spent on a long trip twords his loan. This was he feels you are not being selfish. Imagine what you would feel like if he took off on vacation to WDW just because you felt the money was not there. IMO, if my husband would do that to me (and he never would), he would be coming home to his things on the lawn. His debt, my debt is our debt. Same with money, His and mine is ours. When we got married 13 years ago we made that promise to each other, otherwise to many open loopholes for mistrust. I know everyone is different and each situation is diffrent but it's something to reconsider.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

We aren't your "typical" married couple. We've been together for almost 9 years & married for almost 2 of those 9.

We have separate checking & savings & a joint savings. His debt really is his and mine really is mine. We don't have any CC's together and split everything (cost wise). We are aware that when we decide to have children things are going to change a little since we both want myself to be a stay at home mom. He pays his bills & I pay mine.....yes..I understand the whole "now that you're married his debt is yours and vice versa...but that's not how we are working it. I'm not paying for his school or car loans or CC bills (nor does he want me too) and I don't want him paying for my CC bills (as I don't have any school or car loans - school was paid for by work).
    Possible 3rd Trip: Sept 2008
    ?

2nd Trip:
    Nov 23 - Dec 9 2007
    POP Century

POFQ 2006 (Honeymoon)- July 2-July 16
    First WDW trip

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you are both good with it, go and have a great time. I love my family but certainly need some time by myself enjoying life. When the wife doesn't want to go, I grab my boys and we're out the door. Have a great trip.
    First visit-1972
    Contemporary-Ft Wilderness-Royal Palace/DTD-AS Music-AS Movies-AS Sports-Coranado Springs-Pop Century-Animal Kingdom Lodge-Port Orleans Riverside-Hilton/DTD-Port Orleans French Quarter-Caribbean Beach
    Last visit-Mar 2011
    Next visit-Sep 2011

WarEagle

Post Thanks / Like

While yes you COULD go..is it really the best thing? How would you feel if in a few years DH decides to take a trip w/o you and the kids even if money is tight? (since he will be earning the money most likely?) DH & I each take a long weekend away with friends alone (him fishing me spa-ing) but if money was an issue I can't imagine us doing so. If your DH is upset by your going, will you really want to go? Sometimes sacrificing for our spouses is what is best for us (you and him and your marriage).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Vamaggie. You might win the battle, (this time), and end up losing the war. Little things, like hopping off to Disney without him, or vice-versa, have a way of surfacing in an argument two years from now.

Been there - Done that ! Almost divorced over something similar 18 years ago.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Berri Boo...
    When you go to buy a house or decide to stay home with your future children....his debt is your debt. You may not see it as yours now, but your desire for a child or house may be sooner than you can imagine and if his debt is big enough for him to forgo a trip imagine the burden it would cause to buy a home or to drop your income.

I do agree that you should have a great trip if that is what you want, but don't lose sight that you are a team.

BTW- I have been married 12 years, but together for 20. A year before we married we mergered our finances to reduce debt as a team and be ready for our dream of children. I started staying home 18 months after our wedding (and birth of our 1st out of 4 children) and have been home ever since.

Good Luck....you know in your heart what is best for you and your husband....follow your gut.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.. I have done it for the PAST FOUR YEARS STRAIGHT!!! He is a teacher, thus we can only go during peak season or summer... he dislikes amusement parks(even disney).. he hates to fly...... so my girls and I go without him, take lots of pics and videos and he is happy about it all. We usually stay deluxe since I am only paying for one adult. We go altogether as a family to the beach each summer. My November trip is mommy and her princesses!!!

My dear niece died last march at the tender age of 21. We went to WDW just 4 months prior. Life is short, enjoy each day!
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I have been married over 11 years now, and together for over 16 years (I was 18 when we started dating).

I would never take a trip to WDW without DH. The biggest part that makes the trip so much fun is sharing it with him. Being there alone would ruin it for me.

And, as others have said, like it or not, his debt IS your debt, and the bank, mortgage company, whatever will see it that way. That's a cold, hard fact.

I never understood separate accounts in a marriage, although I know a couple people who do it. It's your choice, but it's something we would never consider. I also think that's just one way to keep you from being a real team.

Taking your "own" trip, with your "own" money, will most likely come back to bite you one day when you're the one staying at home with the kids (not earning any income), and DH wants his "own" trip with his "own" money. If you each have your own money now, it's not going to change just because you have kids. And, that will cause hard feelings.

I would hold off on the trip, wait until you BOTH can afford to go, and enjoy a magical trip with the one you love. It makes WDW so much more special.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken DS and gone several times by ourselves. I don't even ask.....I just tell him "we're going to WDW --do you want to come too?" Usually he says he'll come for the weekend if he can get off work (he's a construction worker and can't get off that much when it's busy....which it always is busy, which is a good thing!).

Anyway, DS and I take off and go and if DH can come down for the weekend we pick him up at the airport for the weekend and then he goes home a day or two before us.....we're fine with that. DH actually tells me that if we can go --go!!

As far as debt goes.....whats mine is yours, whats yours is mine....whats ours is ours....we're in this together!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I take separate short trips each year and one "big" family trip, so I have no problem with the concept of going without your spouse/SO. However the others are correct--because you are legally married his debt is legally yours, regardless of who is paying for it or who's name it's in. When my dad died most things were jointly held. He did have a car in his name only and the payments became my mom's responsibility. Had he had any credit card or other debt it would have been the same story--she would have had to pay it regardless of the fact that it was in his name only. When you go to buy a house they will look at both your credit histories/debt and his will factor into the equation. If you quit work to stay home with the kids and you're down to his salary, that debt payment is going to keep you and the family from doing some things you want to do (like Disney).

Maybe you can compromise and take a shorter value vacation? Some Disney is better than no Disney
    DVC owners at AKV since March '08

Upcoming trips: Dec. 2008 AKV (40th b-day trip!), Jan 2009 AKV (mom's trip w/best friend)

June 2008--"Bonus" trip Hilton DTD
    Feb. 2008--POR (moms' trip w/best friend)
    Oct. 2007--POR
    Dec. 1988--offsite
    1982--DL Hotel
    1972 ('73?)--Contemporary

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: