Quantcast HUGE increase in rental stroller fees [merged threads] - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that WDW is definitely trying to cut down on the rental of double strollers.

We visited WDW during Springbreak the week before Easter this year and was fairly crowded. I usually use two single strollers for my two toddlers but on the day we had to ride the bus instead of monorail to the parks, I chose to rent a double stroller at the park. I was amazed at how hard it was to navigate the wide stroller in the crowds. They were definitely holding up the traffic flow, myself included. They are too wide and cumbersome and it is too easy to run into someone. I wouldn't rent one again, at least not during a crowded time.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another twin mom here chimming in who also (gasp) puts her 6 and 7 year old in a MK stroller.

First off, I am laughing so hard at this thread. Some people need to loosen up a bit, we are talking about strollers....strollers at Disney. Low priority in a world of hot topics

As a mom of twins (now 20 mos) and 2 older girls I have to say it's nice having the option to rent. I TOTALLY get the airport scenario. Last time I flew with my mom and she has artificial knees. So here I am having the 6 and 7 year old princesses helping with the twin princesses (one of which mom carried through the detector and consequently had to go with her to the full screening as she always sets the detectors off and mom couldn't set her down until they were done scanning her (did I also mention she has a bad arm and 18 month olds LOVE to squirm) all while I'm trying to do everyone's shoes (inclcuding the twins), jackets, backpacks, the stroller that never folds when you need it too....yeah we get LOTS of looks. THEN, you have to do it all in reverse on the other side where there are no chairs and people are trying like crazy to get away from the crazy lady with all the little girls that they hope are not on their flight

With all that said, my kids are SO good on flights, they are SO good at Disney, I rarely have to get stern with them in either place. I make sure they eat good, I get a stroller when they need it (take one for the twins as I know they need it and after a couple long days I would rent one for the older two, yes at age 6 and 7!) It's worth ugly stares to me, I know what my kids need and care little for judegemental people looking down on us. We are on vacation and not looking to have meltdowns. However, if you read the above airport scenario, you KNOW I won't be adding another stroller to the mix!

That said, I just can not justify spending that much to rent a stroller for my older two. Perhaps I'll buy an inexpensive Umbrella stroller somewhere to take on long days and let one of the twins sit in it and let the older two take turns in our McClaren. $31 is a meal for the six of us at a counter service restaurant. $31 is two pearls at Epcot.

I hope the end goal is newer strollers that are a bit more comfortable for kids, but Disney is a business, they are there for profit and that is OK. When I want food I go to a restaurant and pay triple what I would were I to make it myself, when I want clothes I go to a store and pay double what I would pay to make it myself. When I want to go to the Happiest Place on Earth I expect to pay for the service and entertainment.
    Wife of one Handsome Prince
    Mother to Ariel, Tinker Bell, and twin Mulans

Planning is half the fun!

Post Thanks / Like

when we go for a week I get a new $15-$20 one at Walmart-use it for the week and then give it to someone before we come home.

Our girls are older but I use the stroller to put rain gear, water bottles, jackets as the day gets warmer, anything that isn't too valuable but we need for the park. Then I just park it in a good spot and we go back to it if we need it. I don't want to carry all that stuff around all day.

When we go to the parks we are gone from early morning until late at night so we get our money worth.

I can remember when the girls were younger and my mother-in-law was tired from a day in Epcot. We had a double stroller and she took a nap in it while we were waiting for Illuminations. She loves that picture!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I don't mean to be a doubting Thomas, but has anybody confirmed this extreme rate increase. Has anybody been since the increase, or have any of our WDW cast members confirmed this. I just know you can't trust everything you read on the internet.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Never mind... I confirmed this information on the Orlando Sentinel. This does seem a bit drastic. We have always rented a stroller for DS 7 because he's autistic, and it was just a safe and relaxing way to get him around the park. Will have to really decide if it's worth it next trip. He has just turned seven and can walk just fine, but he'll tire out quicker, and he's just a slow walker. What are you gonna do next time?
    I Am That Hero!

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Larryboy - we're going next week and originally my sister was going to rent a double for her twin boys (7) and I was going to rent a double for my two kids (6 & 4) but now since this price increase we're just going to rent one double for the 4 kids and let them take turns. My sister and I will split the cost. I can understand increasing the price a couple bucks, but this price increase leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Between this and the dining plan change (I would rather have an appetizer than dessert - they should let you choose)...I'm a little put off!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone earlier in the thread made a good suggestion. Disney ought to consider putting on an external carrying device where folks could put their strollers. Buses in New haven have these for bikers to put their bikes in so Im sure something could be designed to carry fold up strollers.

Imagineers can do anything right?

Post Thanks / Like

Did the newspaper article you read state WHY they did the substantial price increase?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1010 View Post
    Did the newspaper article you read state WHY they did the substantial price increase?
    No, upon further investigation I discovers that this was just a post on the Sentinel's blog. I would still like official confirmation. Can any WDW cast members confirm this price increase, or has anyone been since Sunday? I'm still hopeful that an increase that drastic is incorrect.
    I Am That Hero!

Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    No, upon further investigation I discovers that this was just a post on the Sentinel's blog. I would still like official confirmation. Can any WDW cast members confirm this price increase, or has anyone been since Sunday? I'm still hopeful that an increase that drastic is incorrect.
    I'm pretty sure it's on the official website.
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

yup...after some searching I found the new prices on the web site.
    I Am That Hero!

Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there must have been a press release to announce the price increase. What I hadn't heard, up until looking into it, was that there is going to be an increase in the cost of renting ECV's too.

Here is the blurb from the article from the Orlando Sentinel website:

"Stroller rental more costly

Walt Disney World has raised the price of stroller and scooter rentals.

Effective Sunday, the price of single-child strollers rose to $15 a day, from $10, and the price for two-child strollers went to $31 a day, from $18.

The price for motorized scooters, also known as electronic convenience vehicles, was raised to $45 a day, up from $35.

Disney World spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez said it was the resort's first price increase in three years for those rentals. Visitors may still bring their own strollers or motorized scooters, though Segway scooters are not allowed."
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of this can be tied to the lagging value of the US dollar. Disney sees a lot of folks from other nations visiting them so while a substantial increase to us, its a lower percentage increase to the foreign visitors. I just think that its odd that a double stroller rental costs more than renting a car? I wouldn't be surprised to see a stroller discount plan getting rolled out similar to the one offered at Disneyland and the Disney credit card. It absolutely would be a value added service and increase the use of the card... whoever would have thought that the marketing 101 class I took in college would have been applied to a Disney vacation

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a stupid question....but why would they give strollers free to Visa holders in Disneyland, but not Disney World?
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a stupid question....but why would they give strollers free to Visa holders in Disneyland, but not Disney World?
    I think . . .
    . . . Disneyland was built on orange groves
    . . . oranges have a high amount of sugar
    . . . kids like orange juice
    . . . kids get a lot of sugar by drinking OJ
    . . . with a lot of sugar, kids run around
    . . . when running, kids don't stop to look at merchandise
    . . . if in a stroller, kids can be contained
    . . . parents with a stroller walk slower than unrestrained kids run
    . . . if contained, kids see more merchandise at eye level when pushed slowly
    . . . Disney scientifically puts kids merchandise at kid's eye level

so . . .
    . . . kids aren't running around so much
    . . . kids see more merchandise
    . . . adults have to use their Visa to buy that much merchandise
    . . . thus, Disney Visa benefits from increased charge sales

Of course, this is only a thought.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a good question - you would think they would offer the same benefits to all Disney Visa card holders at all of the parks. It must have something to do with either testing the discount to see if they get the lift they want before rolling it out everywhere or perhaps their info shows that they want to target Disney Visa card holders in CA only for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    I think . . .
    . . . Disneyland was built on orange groves
    . . . oranges have a high amount of sugar
    . . . kids like orange juice
    . . . kids get a lot of sugar by drinking OJ
    . . . with a lot of sugar, kids run around
    . . . when running, kids don't stop to look at merchandise
    . . . if in a stroller, kids can be contained
    . . . parents with a stroller walk slower than unrestrained kids run
    . . . if contained, kids see more merchandise at eye level when pushed slowly
    . . . Disney scientifically puts kids merchandise at kid's eye level

so . . .
    . . . kids aren't running around so much
    . . . kids see more merchandise
    . . . adults have to use their Visa to buy that much merchandise
    . . . thus, Disney Visa benefits from increased charge sales

Of course, this is only a thought.
    You never cease to amaze me...
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to make an educated guess here. I think it has to do with who visits each park. At Disneyland (CA), most of the guests are locals, not tourists. They come in their cars for the day, and then pack up and leave. Therefore, those guests with kids have strollers with them already and there is not a huge demand for rentals.

At Disney World, many more guests are tourists who arrive by plane (and then Disney's Magical Express). Taking a stroller on a plane, along with all the other necessary gear, is a lot harder than just putting it in the trunk of the car. So many people don't bring one with them. This creates a much larger demand for strollers at Disney World than at Disneyland. They probably figure it would cost them too much in the Orlando park to give them out for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fewer rented strollers

I was in the parks on Wednesday and Thursday. I wanted to comment on the rented stroller usage. The stroller parking areas were less congested. There also seemed to be less double strollers around. I know many of us have speculated on Disney's reasoning for the price increase, but this week the smoother traffic flow was a bonus.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm... makes one wonder if the price is too much now?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: