Quantcast Best Lesser Known Things to Do - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diva-and welcome!

I'm going the week before you, and once we get home, I'll try to send you a short list of things that catch my eye for a WDW newbie.

One little piece of advice I'll give you is:
    make sure those little ones get a chance for a nap and a swim or some playground time each afternoon (You should do the same as well!). You'll all have more fun if you stay relaxed, fresh and rested, even though you may have the urge to try and do everything.

Have a blast!
    1st visit: summer of 1974
    ...many visits through the 80s, 90s, 00s...
    ***last visit: May 2 - 5, 2009 - Pop Century *** - Epcot Flower and Garden Fest / my birthday
    ***coming up: Fall 2009 - *** - Epcot Intl Food and Wine Fest
    GO RAYS!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian Yeti View Post
    Hi Diva-and welcome!

I'm going the week before you, and once we get home, I'll try to send you a short list of things that catch my eye for a WDW newbie.

That would be great, thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you read through the trip reports on this site. It'll give you some insight on how the true Disney Pros do the World.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are staying on property then take full advantage of the EMH...last year we did every late night that we could...You can get on just about everything with little or no wait...Plus if its hot, night feels so much better...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

For the 3yo and 5yo, bring a change of clothing and let them run around and get wet in Ariel's Grotto. That was a great pick me up for our tired and hot 3yo. They have sprinklers that shoot up and get them wet, one way in and out and place for adults to sit for a spell!! Also Pooh's Playful spot has many shady areas and is like a small playground for them to run around in. A few places for them to run off some of the steam especially if they have been confined to a stroller.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Another fun thing with little ones (adults too) is a character breakfast. We like Crystal Palace (Pooh & Friends) and One added bonus of a character breakfast in a park is you can get a head start on the crowds if you get an early ADR (before park opening) When you finish Breakfast, you'll already be inside the park and can get to your favorite attraction as soon as they open, well ahead of the big crowds.
    Thanks for this great tip! I just made an early reservation at Crystal Palace for our trip in May. Do you need anything special to get in early and get to the restaurant?
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the real Alice View Post
    Thanks for this great tip! I just made an early reservation at Crystal Palace for our trip in May. Do you need anything special to get in early and get to the restaurant?
    Yeah I want to know that too. I made a reservation for 9:15, how early should I move it to?

Post Thanks / Like

Default lesser known things to do

for the little ones bring an extra change of clothes for getting wet, my daughter loves running around in the sprinkler at epcot . it is just before you get into the world showcase area, we usually grab a drink and sit while watching the little ones have a ton of fun. The grotto in MK is a blast too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMBdiva26 View Post
    Yeah I want to know that too. I made a reservation for 9:15, how early should I move it to?
    Take the earliest time they will give you, probably around 8 or 8:30. The 8(or earlier) will allow you to get in and out before crowds come in at 9, so that you can be at one of the lands before the ropes drop-- but depending on where you stay, it could be harder to get there in time. The 8:30 will allow you to stroll down Main Street without crowds before eating, great for pictures, and easier to make the ADR without stress-- but you won't make it to attractions before the crowds.

And make sure it isn't a morning EMH day, because then you could enjoy the early time in the park and eat breakfast later once crowds come in. When you have an early ADR, they have a list of names at the entrance. You give them your name and they let you in.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great help. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

If youre staying on property, take advantage of the afternoon heat to take a break poolside - the little ones can re charge and cool off too. Keeping the kids from having a meltdown is key. Sometimes they can get so excited they can get burned out from the heat and such. An earlier poster mentioned Ariel's Grotto- thats a great spot.

Take your time- so many people are in a rush. Make friends with your fellow vacationers on the bus or in line- say hello. Keep the work face at home and smile.

We enjoy visiting Ft Wilderness- the trails end is a great buffet style and we've always had an excellent server. Whispering canyon at the lodge is another fun meal stop- ask for the ketchup

Post Thanks / Like

Take your time and enjoy the atmosphere.

Use photopass.

Take time to watch the entertainment in each of the parks...you could even get pulled into the action. My niece and I got to dance with the African dancers at AK.

We enjoy the animation lessons at DHS. They teach you to draw a different disney character in each class. It only takes I believe about 10 minutes. We did it for the first time last year and all enjoyed it. We did it like 3 times.

Also don't miss any of the night shows. Fantasmic, Spectromagic, Wishes and Illuminations are NOT to be missed Disney magic at its best!!!!
    1993-Off-site
    1995/1996-Caribbean Beach
    1997-Dixie Landing
    1998-Caribbean Beach
    1999-Coronado Springs
    2000-Grosvenor
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Caribbean Beach
    2005-POP/Coronado Springs
    2006/2007-POP
    2008/2009-Riverside
    2010 - Beach Club
    2011 - Riverside

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to encourage you to take the others' advice--remember that this is your vacation! It is so tempting to want to rush and try to cram it all in (which is still impossible but tempting to try) so remind yourself to slow down and notice all the little details that Disney puts in (like the fiberoptics in the sidewalks in front of Innovations at Epcot at night, etc.) to make the place even more special. Make those important ADR's but don't stress about everything else and just have a great time. Remember that the things you miss this time are just another reason to plan another trip soon! Let yourself get lost in the Disney magic and act like a kid--take pictures with the characters (use Photopass when possible it's terrific!), join in the interactive things, etc. I'd also agree that it is important to take some down time to explore your resort and ride the monorail and ferries, always fun for us! Something noone has mentioned (I don't think?) is Pleasure Island if you and your bf are old enough, especially the Adventurer's Club. Its fun with the kids but also nice to have some adult time! My biggest piece of advice is just to go with the flow--if you see a show in progress or starting, stop to watch it, etc. That ride you were running to will still be there a little later but that group may not be out when you're around again! Have a great trip!!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

When DH and I were on our honeymoon the surprise hit for us was minigolf. Fantasia gardens is the best minigolf we have ever played. We had a great time taking silly pictures with the props at each hole. We also went late at night so we didn't worry about the hot sun and it wasn't crowded.
    The water parks are a great day for everyone. The active types can run around and go on the slides or in the wave pool while those looking for relaxation can just float around in the lazy river. We try to schedule the water park in between the park days so we have a nice relaxation day.

I'm sure your trip will be wonderful and magical no matter what you do! Just make sure to relax and enjoy yourself.
    Long Live Figment!!

Post Thanks / Like

My best piece of advice for newbies is relax and enjoy yourself. It is very tempting to race from attraction to attraction trying to see everything and do everything. But with little ones, this could turn into the week from hell.

Another recommendation is to talk to people. My family and I chatted with many of the CMs in Epcot's different countries and learned alot of neat things about their home country and they gave helpful tips for negotiating WDW. Plus, they had the DL on many of the restaurants and shows.

Oh...and do take mid-day breaks, they could be a life saver in warm May!
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Many people have already mentioned this one but I think it's worth mentioning again. Walk slowly and don't make it about getting from attraction to attraction as quickly as you can. I think it's important to know what you're going to WDW for. The shows? The thrill rides? The education stuff? Make a list of attractions at each park that you are most interested in enjoying. I REALLY advise people to check out the Unoffical Guides day itinerary. It can save you up to 4 hours standing in line! That's four more hours that you can be enjoying the real joys of Walt Disney World. It's all about hitting certain attractions at certain times in a specific order. It's not hard once you know where you need to go next. If you get side tracked its not a big deal. ENJOY IT! Just get back on your "schedule" when you're finished.

Take advantage of character meet and greets when the line doesn't look terribly long. You may feel like you're wasting time by not being on an attraction but some of the moments that you have with characters really make your trip that much more special.

Strolling around the resorts is really fun! The Boardwalk has a lot of fun entertainment around dinner time. I love the sword guy!!!!!
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more with the prior responses about fireworks shows and taking swimming breaks. I would avoid Fantasmic with the kids as that will probably be too intense for them.

Another important aspect for the kids is sleep.
    If they happen to fall asleep for 15 minutes on the bus, etc. let them take a short nap. It will really help them as the day and week goes along. You are going at a great time as the crowds should not be bad, so don't bother standing in long lines. Normally, lines are shortest at the beginning and end of the day.

And don't be afraid to ask us Intercot devotees more questions before you leave, and cast members when you get there. Have fun. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poeticeclipse View Post
    I REALLY advise people to check out the Unoffical Guides day itinerary.
    Is this a book?

Post Thanks / Like

The crystal palace breakfast tip is one we do every time, You will get a fantastic opportunity for a family picture with the castle in the background with no-one in between you and the castle.

I would add to the tip as follows, after breakfast go up into the castle so you will be near the front of the line when they drop the rope. Go to your left to a little shop called Tinkerbelle's treasures. The first child that asks gets to tap on Tink's box to wake her up. A little light turns on and you hear Tink "wake up". Its very cute.

Also if you can get on the first boat over to
    Tom Sawyer's island there will be two or three paintbrushes "hidden" on the island. If you find one, you get a free fastpass to Thunder mountain or Splash mountain.

If you get a seat close to the driver on the jungle cruise the tour guide might ask one of the girls to "drive" the boat.

I think this has been mentioned but DEFINITELY take the monorail to epcot. When you get up on the boarding platform find a cast member and ask to ride up front with the driver. They allow four passengers with them up front and it is a real experience. Take a video camera. At the end of the trip the driver will give everybody honorary monorail conductor's licenses.

People line up EARLY for the parades. If you are intent on a good seat be prepared to stake out your territory with plenty of time to spare.

Lastly a nice break in the action is to have Belle read the girls a story. They do this in a small nook to the right of the castle before you get to the tea cups. The scheduled story times will be in the park guide.

Oh I almost forgot, if you intend to eat at some of the table service locations, make all your meal reservations now. 1-800-wdw-dine. With the girls at 3 and 5 try to get one meal at Chef Mickey's.

I know im missing alot so look for more later......
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Those were great! Thanks!

I look forward to more!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: