Quantcast 1st Visit Must Do Dining?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Visit Must Do Dining?

I have 2 friends who are taking their families down for their very first visit, one the 1st week in Nov, the other the 2nd week in Nov. Both participating in DDP and staying at POFQ. One is a family of 4 with a 10 yo & 16 yo, the other is a family of 3 with a 6 yo. Please help me think of 5 or 6 restaurants with serious "wow" factor in atmosphere or quality of food.
    Animal Kingdom Lodge(2)
    All-Star Movies/Music(6)
    Pop Century(3)
    Beach Club Villas(4)
    Boardwalk Villas(8)
    Coronado Springs
    Hilton Head Island(3)
    Old Key West(4)
    Port Orleans-FQ(2)
    Disney's Santa Fe Resort-Paris
    Disneyland(2)
    Disneyland Paris
    Disney Magic(8)
    Disney Wonder(2)
    Disney Dream

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Sci-Fi diner is pretty cool - the kids will get a kick out of the drive in dining.

Coral Reef is impressive with dining around the acquarium.

The 6 year old will probably love any of the character meals.

Whispering Canyon Cafe is all about tom-foolery that can be fun for everyone...horse races, singing, stomping, napkin waving, etc.

Boatrights at POR has a great breakfast and I think Bob Jackson in the evening is a must see.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is definetly for Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. Both the breakfast and dinner buffet has good food. It is a really fun atmosphere and is good for all ages. Plus if you've never been is WDW before there is something just breathtaking about being in the Contemporary and watching the monorail come through. It is also super easy to get to either from your hotel or from MK or EPCOT.

My other vote is for Cape May's clambake buffet dinner. This is my family's favorite. Don't worry if there are some non seafood loving people in your party, plenty of other things to choose from. Also very easy to get to. Either walk from EPCOT or take the boat from DHS.

Good luck and have a great trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Our family liked 50's prime time. We had a good "player" whom made the experience worth wanting to go back. They really picked on my daughter a lot & she loved it.
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRollerMom View Post
    My vote is definetly for Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. ...
    Good luck and have a great trip!!
    I'll second Chef Mickey's as a "must-do". We also really enjoyed Akershus and O'hana's was fun as well.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I think I'd have to say 50's Prime Time, the kids will get a kick out of it, especially when mom & dad get "yelled at" for having their elbows on the table.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

another vote for chef mickey's- something for everyone there.

the family with the 6yo might also like crystal palace, and the family with the teenagers might like one of the WS restaurants. (san angel's food is only OK but the atmosphere is great, and le cellier is certainly a great option if the teenagers are meat eaters)
    john

Off-site '76, '89, '91, '96
    LBV Hilton '84
    DLR '86
    Poly '93, '08
    CR '96, '02, '03
    Next trip- Poly Aug '11

Post Thanks / Like

Our favorite restaurant and the one restaurant we hit on every trip is dinner at 'Ohana in the Polynesian Hotel.
    It's the best "family fun" restaurant in all of WDW, IMO. It's got a great setting, in the Poly, with views of MK, (you can see the fireworks at night), great atmosphere (giant fire grill in the middle of the dining room) and live hawaiian music. (singer with a ukelele) It has very good food and all you can eat. (grilled steak, pork, turkey and sausage on skewers) plus peel 'n eat sweet & sour shrimp, not to mention fabulous melt-in-your-mouth bread pudding (don't knock it 'til you try it & save some room in the tummy). On top of that they have coconut races around the dining room and hula hoop contests for the kids. Another plus for us is we always travel there by monorail, which the kids love to ride. It's like traveling directly from a magical place (MK) on an ultra-modern conveyance right to a south sea island. Just another part of the magic of WDW.
    You'll all have a great time. It's not to be missed. No visit to WDW is complete without it for us.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing beats dining inside the castle during the fireworks (even if it is too pricey now since it is a fairy godmother thing). The wow factor is really high and the dinner food is pretty darn good.

Second, I would suggest O'hana's. It has games for the little one and great atmosphere in general. You can also see the fireworks if you are at a window seat during the fireworks show.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

A 3rd vote for Chef Mickeys. What a great time.

O'hana's is a great idea as well.
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Chef Mickey's (CR) - Ohana (Poly) - Whispering Canyon (WL) - The Garden Grill (Epcot) - Sci-Fi (DHS) - Crystal Palace (MK) are all great places to take newbies that have their own certain "WOW" factor.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many restaurants, and it's so hard to suggest any without knowing a little more about the families' tastes and dining preferences.

Are you looking for any character meals? For breakfast, try 'Ohana or Cape May Cafe. Dinner is good at 1900 Park Fare and Liberty Tree Tavern. Chef Mickey's and The Crystal Palace offer the two traditional, popular character buffets.

My three favorite restaurants overall are 'Ohana and Kona Cafe, both at the Polynesian, and Boma - Flavors of Africa in the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

First one that is good for all ages is O'hana's at they Poly. Here is another vote for Chef Mickeys, this is always our first meal at WDW. This trip we are trying so many new restaurants that we hope this will be added to our must do lists. These two that I gave you are ones that are must do's for us. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Visit Must Do Dining?

Chef Mickey is a must do. Gee Whiz..so many other good place to dine. Not sure exactly what you are looking for such as type of food, sit down/character/table service and price range. Ohana is a fun place. We used to always do Chef Mickey for dinner, Park 1900 for breakfast and Kona for dinner. Go to Info Central and check out the menus.

Post Thanks / Like

The five I would suggest as must do's are

Crystal Palace
    Chef Mickeys
    Akershus
    50's Prime Time Cafe
    Liberty Tree Tavern

~Cheryl~

2x's as a child, 2003 - Music, 2005 - Pop, 2007 - Music (Sept.), 2007- Movies (SSW), 2008-Movies, 2008 - Movies (Nov), 2009 - Movies (June)

2010- March - not booked but going for youngests 7th birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sci Fi for the atmosphere...Chef Mickeys for the characters...Ohana for the bread pudding...50s Prime Time for the entertainment...You have to eat breakfast at Boatwrights at POR...The sweet potato pancakes will be on the top of your list I bet...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestions! This is the list I came up with from all the input:

1. Chef Mickey's
    2. Ohana
    3. Sci-Fi
    4. Whispering Canyon
    5. 50's Prime Time
    6. Coral Reef
    7. Le Cellier

I also threw in Planet Hollywood (just 'cause it's there) & ESPN Club (football fans). Thanks for all your help! I've been back from our last trip only 3 weeks, but after making this list, I can't wait to go again!
    Animal Kingdom Lodge(2)
    All-Star Movies/Music(6)
    Pop Century(3)
    Beach Club Villas(4)
    Boardwalk Villas(8)
    Coronado Springs
    Hilton Head Island(3)
    Old Key West(4)
    Port Orleans-FQ(2)
    Disney's Santa Fe Resort-Paris
    Disneyland(2)
    Disneyland Paris
    Disney Magic(8)
    Disney Wonder(2)
    Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I think Italy is nice. But I love Cape May Cafe if you want to go to another hotel to eat.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: