Quantcast What traffic violation would you like to see ticketed by police more often? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Experience has taught me that many people don't even turn their heads to look as they approach a stop intersection. Many simply rely on what they happen to notice in their peripheral vision as drive on while they listen to their music, talk on their phones, yell at their kids, and everything else they do.
    SteveL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am Sure if we questioned all the people who do the things that Annoy us while driving every one of them would say the same thing as Ian... that they beleive the know what they are doing, that they are safely breaking the law and that they don't cause accidents it is the "others" who don't have the common sense to break the laws correctly!
    I dont' think anyone on the road goes out and says to themselves, "I am going to drive like a Jack today and try to cause as many accidents as I can!"

The point is it's the law, if you feel strongly that it is wrong then go to your city councilor/selectman/ombudsman or whatever and get the road rules changed don't break the law and then explain that "you can do it because you are experienced"
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

You misundertand me ... I understand that it's the law and that I'm not in any way, shape, or form above the law.

I choose to ignore the law in a very limited set of controlled circumstances, knowing full well that I'm at risk of getting a ticket. I accept that risk and will gladly pay the ticket should it be issued.

I would certainly support any politician who advocated modifying traffic laws to focus more on real safety issues (and some common sense enforcement) and less on revenue generation.

But good luck finding one of those.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Uh ... there's a marked difference between a police car clandestinely parked somewhere waiting for people to run a stop sign and cars waiting at an interesection to cross the street.

Again ... I'm a pretty smart and savvy guy. I can tell the difference. Can everyone? No. I'm just talking about me.

Some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time. For those people I recommend ... don't try it. Ditto the slide.
    Umm...your post really makes no sense at all...My point was pretty simple, but it seems as though you missed it. I'll try again:

You wrote - "Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a cop to write a ticket for a slide if there are no other cars anywhere to be seen at the intersection."

My point - Obviously there was another car there - the POLICE CAR. You just didn't see it. You cannot possibly be paying close enough attention to your driving if you miss seeing a police car at an intersection that YOU STATE is completely clear of other cars.

Your argument - the police car was clandestinely parked.

Where was it hidden??? YOU ALREADY WROTE that the intersection was completely clear of cars. Really now - it's a big police car, and by your account, the only car at the intersection, and you didn't see it. Certainly if YOU didn't see it, it MUST be hidden. YOU would never miss anything like that - you're a pretty smart and savy guy. It couldn't possibly be that you were driving unsafely.

Post Thanks / Like

You misundertand me ... I understand that it's the law and that I'm not in any way, shape, or form above the law.

I choose to ignore the law in a very limited set of controlled circumstances, knowing full well that I'm at risk of getting a ticket. I accept that risk and will gladly pay the ticket should it be issued.

I would certainly support any politician who advocated modifying traffic laws to focus more on real safety issues (and some common sense enforcement) and less on revenue generation.

But good luck finding one of those.
    You don't think coming to complete stops at intersections is a safety issue? While traffic tickets are revenue generating; they are really punishment for not following the law. Raising taxes would be more efficient way to increase revenue - then there wouldn't be cops staking out street corners for sliders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    You don't think coming to complete stops at intersections is a safety issue? While traffic tickets are revenue generating; they are really punishment for not following the law. Raising taxes would be more efficient way to increase revenue - then there wouldn't be cops staking out street corners for sliders.
    To be perfectly blunt - no, I don't.

I think the bigger issue that the police should be concentrating on is people running red lights, people shooting other people, rape, armed robberies, hit and runs, going above 15 in a school zone, drunk driving, talking on cell phones, etc.

I feel like stop signs are the lesser of all evils, and yet that is what seems to be the focus of a lot of law enforcement (I'm not saying all, but a LOT). I can't name how many times I see people blatantly blowing red lights when there are cars coming with the right of way. At least people who slide actually DO look first before making their decision.
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This conversation has degnerated into a pointless back and forth.

Suffice it to say that I completely agree with Janine and find this to be one of those mindless "zero tolerance" kind of issues that annoy me to no end.

I'm done with this discussion now ... I think there's a stop sign out there somewhere I need to go slide through.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I would like to mention the red light runners. And not just the red light runners, but the red light pushers too. You know the ones I mean, the ones who enter the intersection well after the light goes yellow knowing full well it's going to turn red.

I know, some of you are thinking it's ok, and "everyone does it". Well, it's not ok, it causes accidents, and NOT everyone does it. I have actually almost been hit from behind because I stopped at a red light. I've also sat through most of a green light while the red light pushers just kept going. I guess for some reason their time (and life) was more important than mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess'Mom View Post
    This is a huge problem in Virginia. I cannot count the number of times I have seen multiple cars going through a red light. It is SOOO dangerous. One morning, I watched a school bus run the light! Before I go through the green light I hesitate. I don't want to become a hood ornament for a dump truck.
    I'll tell you my story about running red lights. I'm actually very lucky to be here right now. I probably shouldn't be because of someone who ran a red light.

I hit him, yes that's correct, he ran a red light but I hit them in the passenger side. If it would have been a couple seconds later he would have hit me and probably killed me. I was banged up pretty good too. I can still hear the screams coming from the other car. He did unfortunately learn his lesson though as he killed himself and his wife who was the passenger in the car. Believe me when I say that even though it's not your fault you feel terrible about the outcome. There were flowers at the site and the first time I went by I got sick, yes you learn over time to deal with it, but it still plays in the back of your mind. I learned a lot about this gentlemen and his wife over the course of a couple weeks. One of my co-workers at the time actually knew one of their children. He was known to red run lights as I was told.

Also I would like to add, that I was wearing my seatbelt, while the other two people in the other car were not. Plus you couldn't believe the 3rd degree I got at the hospital from the staff, thinking that I was the one at fault. Again I'll never ever forget that day.

This happened to me back in 1995 and believe me I still remember this accident today and when ever I see anyone running a red light or traffic light I think twice.
    Last edited by MauiMouse; 06-19-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: changed year
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MauiMouse View Post

This happened to me back in 1985 and believe me I still remember this accident today and when ever I see anyone running a red light or traffic light I think twice.
    That definitely was in no way your fault, but I can see how it would still be on your mind.

My grandfather is like this as well - he is known to run red lights and we always yell at him about it. We have a street called Roosevelt Boulevard and the #2 and #3 most dangerous intersections in the country are on this road. They've installed cameras on most of the street's intersections.

My grandfather always gets camera tickets, but insists that he didn't run the light. He just can't understand that the camera will not take your picture unless the light is red when you cross the line. He and my grandmother actually made a list of all of the intersections where there are cameras and they avoid those intersections. (She doesn't drive, but she's his accomplice!!)

I always yell at them about this because I think instead of making a list of where all the cameras are to avoid, my grandfather should instead make sure he stops at the lights. There's more than one way to avoid a camera ticket!
    Janine
    -----------------
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J9 View Post
    That definitely was in no way your fault, but I can see how it would still be on your mind.

My grandfather is like this as well - he is known to run red lights and we always yell at him about it. We have a street called Roosevelt Boulevard and the #2 and #3 most dangerous intersections in the country are on this road. They've installed cameras on most of the street's intersections.

My grandfather always gets camera tickets, but insists that he didn't run the light. He just can't understand that the camera will not take your picture unless the light is red when you cross the line. He and my grandmother actually made a list of all of the intersections where there are cameras and they avoid those intersections. (She doesn't drive, but she's his accomplice!!)

I always yell at them about this because I think instead of making a list of where all the cameras are to avoid, my grandfather should instead make sure he stops at the lights. There's more than one way to avoid a camera ticket!
    Believe me it takes a long time, but I know that I wasn't at fault.

I hope that nothing like this happens to your grandfather, because yes it does happen. I've lived through it.
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry that you had to endure the agony of your accident. I can only imagine how awful you felt. It seems to me that people who have been involved in accidents or have had loved ones involved in accidents are the ones that seem most passionate about this subject.
    I had a beloved aunt killed while she and her husband were driving home from dinner with my mom. They were driving the speed limit and on their own side of the road. A girl crossed the double yellow line and hit them head on, My aunt was killed instantly. My uncle lived with minor injuries but really he died that day as well. He has never been the same and not a day goes by that he isn't mourning his wife. It is sad and senseless.
    I'm sure the girl who killed my aunt thought she was driving just fine also.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Not for nothin', but who the heck stops for 30 seconds at a stop sign??? [/QUOTE]

Sorry gang! I meant 3 seconds. Although I used to count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then go.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J9 View Post
    At least people who slide actually DO look first before making their decision.
    Just a question: how do you KNOW they look before making their decision to break the law?

I had a friend killed in FL years ago because someone ran a stop sign. I'm sure John didn't know about the unwritten law that it was OK to go if you didn't see someone coming. By the way, he was on a motorcycle. No quite as easy to see them as it is to see a car.

I'm actually guilty of running a stop sign right here in my town. It was put up recently and I wasn't expecting to see it so went right through it! I haven't made that mistake again. Luckily I didn't run into anyone and I didn't get caught.

And then there was another street that kept changing between a stop and yield sign. A cop actually pulled me over for running the "stop" sign. I told him that it was NOT a stop sign. He had to go look while I waited. It was a yield sign at that point. They finally kept it as a stop sign.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    Just a question: how do you KNOW they look before making their decision to break the law?
    Not to start this up again, but sliding is different than completely just running the stop sign.
    Janine
    -----------------

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I can understand where J9 is coming from but the point is, you are the exception. At one of our more dangerous intersections last year someone "slid" through a yeild, not even a stop, and killed a senior two days before his grad. They just this year changed all of the signs at that intersection to stops but I still see pople pull up, guage distance and just run on through.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

First: I think I need to apologise for starting the "not stopping at stop signs" thingy. Didn't think it would get so heated.

Next:

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Where there isn't a bike lane, you are supposed to stay to the right of the road. Well let me tell you, hardly anyone uses the bike lanes, and many bikers veer more towards the middle of the road than the side.
    I know this. I am a cycle-commuter. It's only 20 km to work and 20 back. I do apologise for perhaps cutting anyone off if I stray too far from the right side of the lane. (I have been hit even right next to the curb. So much for share the road.) If Philly streets are anything like Hamilton's (and I think they are, we have the same cold, snowy winters and hot summers) cyclists quite often have to veer out of the bike lane or away from the curb due to broken glass or more often broken, cracked, poorly patched and pot-holed roads. Not to mention storm sewers grates that haven't been upgraded to stop my tires from going into them. I usually give lots of warning of my intentions and use mirrors to ensure I can do things safely. But that's just me.

That's all.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    I know this. I am a cycle-commuter. It's only 20 km to work and 20 back. I do apologise for perhaps cutting anyone off if I stray too far from the right side of the lane. (I have been hit even right next to the curb. So much for share the road.) If Philly streets are anything like Hamilton's (and I think they are, we have the same cold, snowy winters and hot summers) cyclists quite often have to veer out of the bike lane or away from the curb due to broken glass or more often broken, cracked, poorly patched and pot-holed roads. Not to mention storm sewers grates that haven't been upgraded to stop my tires from going into them. I usually give lots of warning of my intentions and use mirrors to ensure I can do things safely. But that's just me.

That's all.
    I think that would be understandable.

The problem I have with bikers is more of them riding in the middle of the street and weaving in and out of traffic. And also biking on the wrong side of the street against the flow of traffic. It's just not a good idea.
    Janine
    -----------------

Post Thanks / Like

The traffic law in almost every state in the union says "lane #1 (the far left lane) is for passing only!" It doesnt say if you are going the speed limit, you can squat there!
    If I am speeding, that is my concern, not yours.
    I think that this has caused more "road rage" incidents than any other inconsiderate driving habit.
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    First: I think I need to apologise for starting the "not stopping at stop signs" thingy. Didn't think it would get so heated.

Next:

That's all.
    You sound like a responsible biker. The ones I'm talking about are not. I understand the need to veer towards the center sometimes. I myself bike to work occasionally. I have nothing against bikers in general, it just seems like more times than not, many feel that they don't really have to follow the rules.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Suffice it to say that I completely agree with Janine and find this to be one of those mindless "zero tolerance" kind of issues that annoy me to no end.
    Mindless? No, not at all. It's just that some posters have kind of self-centered arrogance that will not allow them to see that their actions are potentially harmful to others.

How dare someone suggest that you actually stop at a stop sign!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: