Quantcast How to ask for a free upgrade upon check-in

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to ask for a free upgrade upon check-in

We booked a standard room at AKL. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upgrade, but does anyone have any tips for how to effectively ask the CM if there are any free upgrades available?
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried but I just read in my Unofficial Guide that you just politely ask...
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Be nice and courteous. If you have a small daughter with you, educate her on how to pout with that innocent puppy dog face. The CM may go for it. If you don't get an upgrade, you are no worse off than you were to begin with. Do not get upset with the CM for not giving you something for free. I don't think that would be your intention any way.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a travel tip on TV that says to make nice to the person checking you in, make some conversation and ask if there are any free upgrades...if the tell you "No", ask for their name and tell them you want to send a letter to their boss telling them how nice they were to you and that they tried to grant your accomodation wishes.

Sometimes even if they initially say "No" a little more flattery will get you what you want.

I watched as the above was done undercover and after the party checking in told the clerk that she wanted to tell the boss how good she was, the clerk was "suddenly" able to grant the free upgrade...it never hurts to ask
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of the letter writing scenario that was posted, but there is no question that being nice and engaging the cast member in conversation can help. From there, as others have already said it is just a matter of speaking up and asking. It is true that sometimes you don't have to do anything and you will still get an upgrade but you do improve your odds somewhat by asking.

Post Thanks / Like

I never have asked for an upgrade, just hoped for one!!! I think I'd be a wee bit embarrassed to ask for one. Anyone else feel like this?
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried it but I've heard of people having success with just simply asking if there are any rooms available in an upgraded category and what the price difference would be then politely declining, stating that it's more than you wanted to pay. Sometimes you may not get a free upgrade but you could be offered an upgraded room at a rock-bottom price that just might be worth the difference.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    I never have asked for an upgrade, just hoped for one!!! I think I'd be a wee bit embarrassed to ask for one. Anyone else feel like this?
    a free upgrade?

yes

However Im not above asking for the little free bonuses that are available like the balloon bouquets and bday cards when we have someone celebrating with us
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

being in the hotel industry as a guest agent, we always appreciate people being "nice to us",
    people know what they booked, if there wish isnt granted don't take it out on us .

yes, we do things things for people who are nice, .

just had to my two sence in, .
    Last edited by Figaro0826; 09-27-2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling

09/12 Wilderness Lodge
    09/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Club Level
    09/09 Disney Cruise Line Wonder
    09/09 Wilderness Lodge
    08/07 Wilderness Lodge, 1st Anniversary
    08/06 Port Orleans, Honeymoon
    WDW 05/05 Off Property , Engagement
    WDW 06/02 Family Trip

859 days until next trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    I am too embarrssed to ask as well. I always home for one, but the only time we've gotten a free upgrade was when our requested room wasn't available at WL due to construction. We were upgraded from a standard room to a woods view room. It was very fun to get something.

I normally just book what I want and then know I'll be happy with it. I would however ask for an upgrade and offer to pay for it if I couldn't reserve the "view/type" room I wanted when making my reservations. For instance, if I booked a room at AKL, but all the savannah view rooms were booked and I had to settle for a pool view room. I would then ask if there are any available savannah view rooms when I checked in, but I would offer to pay for it.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been upgraded nor have I every asked for one. But after reading posts and seeing tips on TV...I might have to muster up courage next time I check in..at any resort.
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips. My husband and I are never rude to CM's or any other service people. We always try to be as nice as possible when dealing with anyone. And I definitely don't want to take advantage of anyone.

I feel like it could be an awkward situation asking for an upgrade...but from reading your comments, I believe if we are as nice as we can be, then maybe it will happen. If not, we haven't lost anything. I've been upgraded almost everytime we've stayed at AKL.

I have a cool story about my dad back in the 70's. He and my aunt had driven down to WDW back in the early days, and had a standard room at the CR. Well, when he went to check-in, the CM immediately upgraded them to the penthouse suite, no extra-charge. My dad didn't even ask for an upgrade. He just went to check in and they put him at the top. I don't even know how much that suite is worth now! I've never experienced anything like that, but hopefully the family luck will be with me!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

In many situations, it's not the CM who's checking you in that gave the upgrade, but the room assigning department. Usually upgrades are given to accommodate the resort, although they can also be done as a thank you for repeat guests and as an enticement for future bookings at the higher level.

If the CM does have the authorization, it's best to let them offer it or ask what the upgrade cost will be (you can always politely decline it). Many CM's have reported being very turned off by someone who comes right out and asks for a free upgrade.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    . . . If the CM does have the authorization, it's best to let them offer it or ask what the upgrade cost will be (you can always politely decline it). Many CM's have reported being very turned off by someone who comes right out and asks for a free upgrade . . .
    1) Yep.
    2) When an upgrade is possible, CM's like to give them as Pixie Dust.
    3) Asking for a free upgrade usually results in a kind "Sorry, none are available.".
    4) I have never given an upgrade when asked for a free one.
    5) But, have given plenty for other reasons, including asking for a paid upgrade.

NOTE: As mentioned, most upgrades are done 2-4 days in advance of your check-in during room assignment by ROOMS people. However, everyday the Front Desk CM's know if there is open capacity and if there are rooms available for upgrades.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    In many situations, it's not the CM who's checking you in that gave the upgrade, but the room assigning department. Usually upgrades are given to accommodate the resort, although they can also be done as a thank you for repeat guests and as an enticement for future bookings at the higher level.

We have friends who stay at the beach club every year and last year they got a free upgrade to concierge level last year and LOVED it...so guess what they booked this year...yup concierge.

Many years ago my DH and I got upgraded to a tower suite at GF, we had paid for concierge level but not a suite. We were so excited.

But now with kids we stay at the values...not much upgrading there.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I could ask for a free upgrade either.

We had never been upgraded until this past May. We had a two week trip to the BC. We arrived early for check in and had two very happy small children with us. I am not sure either helped out, but it couldn't have hurt!!! I had called ahead of time to make sure we had it down that we preferred a full balcony. Who knows how it really works, but we'll take what we get!
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying at POR in April. Would it be better to ask at the time of check-in or call a few days before to see if anything free is available?
    One little spark of inspiration, is at the heart of all creation.
    - Dreamfinder

July 1976 - offsite
    June 1988 - offsite

June 1991 - Disney's Village Resort
    June 1993 - Dixie Landings

June 2001 - offsite

APRIL 2009 - PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE
    Dec 2010 - Somewhere in the World, probably POP

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty- Would there ever be an upgrade when the guest has already booked club level??? My guess is not-therefore I've never asked. But since we have a BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION during our stay I am curious if that would make a difference...
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer View Post
    Rusty- Would there ever be an upgrade when the guest has already booked club level???
    1) Never heard of it.
    2) I guess it could happen though.
    . . . occupancy requirements
    . . . mechanical problems

NOTE: Whenever an upgrade occurs, there has to be a specific reason listed on the ressie. Upgrades are tracked by management. They want to know why you are giving away more expensive rooms. In the vast majority of cases, there was a greater demand or over-sell of cheaper rooms, so to make space, they put some people in more expensive rooms. This increases the occupancy rate of the hotel. Sure, there are Pixie Dust upgrades, but not very many at all.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Generally speaking....upgrades are at the discretion of one or two room assignment/operations rank and files whose job it is to plug in the ressies into the "wholes" that exist in the room inventory....correct issues with payments and packages....and move people if overbooking is in play (a quite common occurrence...and legal to disney due to a technicallity)

Upgrades.....are used as inventory control.....nothing more....

You get a "free upgrade" when it benefits the inventory.....

Disney official policy is to give nothing away...they actually instruct their operations to "sidegrade" people when overbooking occurs (which is an absolutely appalling to the hospitality field).....

sometimes they do upgrades for various other reasons......but that is up to whoever happens to be feeling good on a particular day.....a not to common occurrence in the resort trenches

but most of the time it is strictly an issue of being short in a room category and moving people around to compensate

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: