Quantcast Epcot Tips

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epcot Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot Tips

I consider myself a somewhat seasoned DW goer, but for some reason, I have just never "gotten" Epcot. I am hoping you can help me out with some tips and must do's to help us really see and enjoy Epcot. We are heading to the World on December 1 and it will be me, DH, DD7 and DS5. And advice would be very appreciated!
    Amy

10/14 French Quarter
    5/12 Coronado Springs
    5/10 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/08All Star Sports
    5/07 All Star Sports
    5/06 Pop Century
    1/05 All Star Movies
    2/03 All Star Sports
    3 times before this millenium!!
    Next up: 9/16 Caribbean Beach!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the first thing I would suggest is to not attempt Epcot in a single day. Epcot is a huge place, and can really wear you down. We have found that doing Future World one morning, and the World Showcase another evening really makes Epcot easier and more enjoyable for us. We always break our days up, and spend the morning in one park and evenings in another. Some down time and a nap is a most for my DW, who has epilepsy. As you are going in Dec, I would also suggest taking time at the different countries to explore their ways of celebrating Christmas
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot Tips

I would definetely take advantage of the different Christmas customs in each of the countries, it is very interesting. I have been the last two Decembers and love EPCOT for this reason during that time of the year. Your Sons will also probably like watching the candy making lady in Japan. Make sure to arrive a little early and stand up front by her stand, have your sons tell her what type of animal is their favorite and she will make it for them. My niece last year got a pink flamingo and the year before my other niece got a penguin. Just take the time to really enjoy the countries and try not to do it all in one day! We usually do Future World in the morning and then head over to World Showcase in the middle of the afternoon and do what we can and then save the rest for another day. Have fun!!

Kimber
    WDWCP Fall 1990
    1991 Friends Apt
    1993 Sister at Vista Way
    1994-1998 CBR
    2001/2002 ASS; ASMo;Timeshare
    2003 - ASMo
    2005/2006 - Timeshare
    2007 - ASMu
    2009 -- Pop!; POR
    2010 -- Hong Kong Disneyland Hollywood Hotel

Post Thanks / Like

In the land, you can have your kids learn how to make cookies. They get a chef's hat, they mix the ingredients and they are given a chocolate chip cookie when they are finished. my DD had a blast doing this when she was 3. She is now 6 and my DS is 3 and if they still do this, We are going to do it again.

Also in Innovations West (?--To the left) you can have your kids make their own paper from pulp, then they can color on it. In the same pavillion they get to make a plastic robot and bring it home. Thats right, a free Disney souviner.

My kids like to stop and rest for the Kidcot stops, they get one for World Showcase and one for Future world.

Over in Norway there is a big Viking Ship they love playing on.

Disney has done a great job haveing characters that are from the countries for Meet and Greets. My Daughter loves seeing Mulan and Mushu in China, Alladin, Jasmine, and Geni in Morrocco, Belle and Beast in France, Coda and Keni in Canada, Pooh and friends and Mary Poppins in the UK, and I am sure i am missing some. Other characters are over in future world. Figment is always a favorite. They also LOVE playing in the Imagination Labs, all the sound and stuff to play with. The Seas is also a great place to play now.

Wow, I thought I would have a hard time answering this post but I think I can go on and on. and oddly enough they even love playing in the real cars at the end of Test Track.

There is more but I feel like I have gone on long enough.
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of the other posts, dont try and do both parts of EPCOT in one day, way too much walking involved.
    If you are wanting to dine at one of the countries dont wander round from one to the other trying to decide because its a long way round and you have so much choice youll waste valuble time and just get dizzy. Do your research before and try and make your desision as this will save a lot of time and energy.
    Take your time visiting each building as they all have very different things to offer all ages.
    from previous experience my children found some of the countries to be "BORING" as they said so choose wisely, eg Norway is always good, fun ride.They liked Mexico too.
    You have to do EPCOT with a different frame of mind than the others as its not all about queing and riding.
    1991 CBR
    1996 ASS
    2006 PC
    2008 PC
    2010 BC
    Next visiting May 2012 YC

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot is our fave park. So much to see, do and eat! But, as others posters say, it is a 2-day adventure. We arrive before opening and have been lucky enough to be chosen "Family of the Day". The perks are great for this! And then cover FW as thoroughly as possible. Then we save WS for another time. Usually late afternoon/evening. We take our time w/a leisurely stroll about WS lagoon, and basically eat and drink our way "around the World". We stop in Canada and try and catch "Off Kilter", and also in UK and listen to "The British Invasion". Be sure to take time to really enjoy each country. Go in ALL their shops and eateries, even if you don't buy anything. And then we finish off w/Illuminations. And not being in a hurry, makes our journey back to our resort a little more bearable.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree...Epcot is a two day park. Unfortunately the last time I went, we only had a five day pass. Went to MK on day one, can't remember much after that but DO remember splitting Epcot into two days. I've traipsed through Epcot in one day and it's BRUTAL!!! If you have a seven day park hopper pass or more, then definitely split up the trip. Trust me you'll thank me later.
    Magic Kingdom 1980 (Polynesian)
    MK and Epcot 1983 (Off site)
    MK and Epcot 1986, 1987, 1988 (Off site)
    MK, Epcot, Disney Studios 1995 (Off site)

Post Thanks / Like

I like to take advantage of the Friendship boats when exploring the World Showcase. What I did with my family was arrive in the morning for the rope-drop. Experienced Futureworld until about 11am then headed to WS. We started in Mexico and headed clockwise around the lake exporing each country. We started to lose steam near Italy so we hopped on the boat and rode it back over to the other side of the lake near Future World. We then made our way out (stopping first to ride SSE) to rest at our hotel.

Happy planning!

Post Thanks / Like

Start in Mexico or Canada and grab a beer in each country as you make your way (or try to make your way) around the World Showcase.

Post Thanks / Like

just fyi, the Nestle Junior Chef program at The Land pavilion in Epcot ended April 6, 2008.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as Epcot opens ..Run straight to Soarin ..get a fast pass as well and then get onto the ride
    cos after that there normally a wait of an hour .

A must do is test track at night its brilliant
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Just like the original poster, I also have DD7 and DS5. We just returned, and here are some highlights of what we enjoyed about Epcot:

Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space . . of course.

Spaceship Earth and Mission Space both take you into amazing exploration areas when you finish the rides. Rather than rushing on to the next thing, allow time to play all the interactive games. You may find that you enjoy it more than the ride itself!

Take plenty of time to explore Innoventions . . . there is so much to do there and we've barely scratched the surface.

KidCot Stops- crafts in Future World, Masks in World Showcase. Often conveniently placed in a shopping area so you can roam while they craft.

Candy Maker in Japan . . . .Street Performers in several countries . . . I was surprised at how my kids loved to stop and watch the different street performers!

Kim Possible- isn't this starting up soon? That should make Epcot even more engaging for kids.

Post Thanks / Like

I think of all Disney parks, Epcot is the one that takes a while to grow on you and I guess the reason for that is it's size and the fact that it takes a few visits to realize just how wonderful it really is!

This past March, we threw all regular eating habits out the window and had the kids do a "snack around the world" tour; got started around 11:30 am and let them have whatever snack they wanted at each country. Finished up around 5:30pm. They still talk about that day. And they still talk about mommy and daddy having an "alcool" snack at every country...

Anyway, one snack that is not to miss is the Kaki Gori shaved ice in Japan. Trust me, it will be 100 times better then any ice cone you've ever had.
    Richard

March/1976 - Offsite
    January/1989 - Offsite
    September/1999 - ASMovies (Honeymoon)
    January/2002 - ASMusic
    September/2004 - Pop Century
    February/2006 - Disneyland
    March/2007 - Univeral Studio
    March/2008 - Pop Century
    Feb 26th - Mar 9th/2009 - Pop Century (Big 40!)

Post Thanks / Like

The key is attitude. Epcot is not "ride-it-and-go" park. There are good rides, but each one immerses you in its theme both before and after the actual ride. The point of Epcot is "being" there. There's plenty of entertainment if you like live entertainment. I thought it was pretty boring my first time as well...until I saw Illuminations. Then my whole attitude changed. It's like I understood the whole point of the park when "We Go On" started playing. It's the romance of the park that you have to understand.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I posted on here earlier but wanted to add something. The second time I went to Epcot, I stayed at Communicore (now Innoventions) for like two hours and loved it. But you have to "soak" in the rides---this isn't like Magic Kingdom. Epcot is an entirely different park in its own right. The first time I went in 1983, well I was bored. Went three years later and loved it. Now it's my second favorite other than MK of course.
    Magic Kingdom 1980 (Polynesian)
    MK and Epcot 1983 (Off site)
    MK and Epcot 1986, 1987, 1988 (Off site)
    MK, Epcot, Disney Studios 1995 (Off site)

Post Thanks / Like

My son is 8 and a very active little boy. His favorite park is Epcot. He of course loves TT and MS but he also enjoys World Showcase. He likes the rides in Mexico and Norway but he also likes watching the street performers and hitting the Kidcot stops. For me, we call it eating and drinking your way around the world. Great snacks and beverages. The key thing like everyone else has said is to take your time and enjoy it.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scootch713 View Post
    just fyi, the Nestle Junior Chef program at The Land pavilion in Epcot ended April 6, 2008.
    bummer, that was a big hit
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysEars View Post

Over in Norway there is a big Viking Ship they love playing on.
    I didn't know you can get on the ship. I thought it was just for show. I know what my next picture at Epcot will be.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I didn't know you can get on the ship. I thought it was just for show. I know what my next picture at Epcot will be.

We tried to explore it in October, and it appears that they no longer let you get on it. It seems to be rotting!

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I enjoy all the science aspects of the park. I LOVE The Seas with Nemo and Friends, and she really likes The Land. We do EPCOT in one day, but are normally dead tired when we get back to the hotel! You should take your time and explore the park. It definitely is not a "Ride and Go" kind of park, as stated by previous posters. And it's got wonderful food!

Hope you have a great time!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: